Duncan's 71 "Oz" Goon

Duncan

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can charge ridiculous amounts of money for lead body work and paint jobs :)

And thanks for shopping at Walmart today :no:

Oh oh, time for Geritol,sit down walker and days sitting on the porch stairing in to the Abyss.lol  Or theres always part time work at Walmart.lol

• Like 3

I was going to work another year, but the health scare I had (plus the vertigo) was enough to decide to quit and enjoy retired life while I still can.  I consider myself very fortunate to be able to retire at all. 

Anyway, that's enough of this.  Let's go back general bitching and grousing.. :thumbup:

• Like 4

Well alrighty now..

Two days in San Diego and not a lot to show for it.  We did have some fun, though..

The engine compartment harness is a fucking disaster. Fortunately, my schematic seems to be pretty accurate, and my friend is taking this harness as a personal challenge.  He actually likes working on wiring, THANK GOD!

Starting at the headlight end, then working toward the fusebox making a LOT of repairs as we go..

harn_1.jpg

We're making repairs and checking wire routing through the engine harness.  We found one or two errors on the schematic, but nothing terribly crazy so far.

harn1_1.jpg

My wagon only had one horn in it, and it was badly spray bombed.  Smitty saw it and went digging through his stuff and came up with two Subaru horns he's had for years!  (He was a Subaru dealer mechanic a few decades ago)  I tested them, cleaned them up, made some standoffs and a bitchen curly ground wire, and now I have a gold-ish cad plated horn set!  I also mounted the coil on the core support, as I plan on doing some wire tucking.

horns.jpg

I would put the engine in first, then do the wiring, but the engine harness is *SO* bad, we decided to mount most of the electrical stuff, test all the wires and determine routing while there's room in the engine bay.  Once that's done, we'll pull it out then wrap it.

My wiper motor was also horribly spray painted, and there were some really bad wire splices on it.  I spent quite a bit of time on it replacing the wires, then cleaned it up and painted it.  It looks like it was possibly plated originally, but it looked really bad naked, so I had no choice but to paint it.  I think it will look good once it's on the car.

wiperm.jpg

• Like 1

I also mounted the coil on the core support...

I was planning that on my 510 also. Kept hoping no one beat me to it...   :rofl:

It looks like it was possibly plated originally, but it looked really bad naked

Stock should be gold cad on mounting plate and the "can", and the middle/motor bit is greyish (assuming raw aluminum). 

auto-part-nissan-datsun-pick-up-wiper-mo

The most commonly used upgrade motors have a black "can"...

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

I am not connected to this place, just passing along a nice source.  If you need connectors or terminals for your Datsun or other Japanese bikes and cars, I strongly recommend this place.  http://www.vintageconnections.com/    I've been buying from them for a few years, and they have the correct stuff. 

Also, I have NO idea how they do it, but my 16mmx1.25 die arrived from China.  The damn thing was $5.25 shipped from China and it got here in about 8-9 days!  I haven't used it yet, but it's absurd that I got the die and the shipping so fast and cheap. :thumbup:

Have you ever reinstalled wagon hatch hinges once they have been disassembled?   ^_^

I have installed the torsion bars along with the hinges if that's what you mean.  I made the long prybar tool that's in the factory manual.  I held them in place (with the tool) and put the bolts in with the other hand. Not the easiest thing to do by yourself, but the tool is necessary to get them installed.  I can grab a photo of it tomorrow if you want to see it.  

• Like 1

I made the long prybar tool that's in the factory manual. 

Then you'll be fine.   :thumbup:

Should've known you'd be thinking ahead. 

Not the easiest thing to do by yourself, but the tool is necessary to get them installed.  I can grab a photo of it tomorrow if you want to see it.  

Thanks, but already been there. I did it by myself, without the tool, once. Once. 

• Like 1

When I bought the wagon, one of the bars were broken.  I sourced a wagon that was being parted, and that was one of the first repairs I did on it.  

I welded a single link of chain onto the end of the tool, and have it hanging in my "Special Datsun Tools" Dept in my garage :)

Then you'll be fine.   :thumbup:

• Like 1