Duncan's 71 "Oz" Goon

Duncan

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks!  The photos don't really do it justice. The shop is dark, and it was late but I did snap a photo for posterity.

I know what you mean when you say your glad your done with the engine compartment. Looks great, nice job.

Mark

• Like 2

Finally found a very straight replacement hood.  The original hood had rust and (of course) bondo over the rust spots.

The new one is very straight save for one small dent on the internal brace that runs along the backside.  It's an easy fix, but I'm taking today off and not working on the wagon today.  I've been hitting it pretty hard and need a break from it.

I'm not normally a fan of basecoat / clearcoat paint jobs, as this is pretty common on the quickie cheap-o jobs..

hood.jpg

underhood.jpg

• Like 3

I have a replacement coming from Futofab.  It should be here near the end of this month. 

Last time I needed one I bought a fiberglass version from CDM and it turned out pretty well. But since the FutoFab metal version is only a few bucks more, I'm very curious to see how it looks.   :thumbup:

• Like 2

And thanks fellas.  I put a LOT of time (and expensive primer) blocking and blocking and blocking every piece out.  It's a lot of work, but I do enjoy it. 

My vertigo (and back) may force me to retire.  Maybe I can make a few bucks on the side doing bodywork?  An old timer who does lead work might dredge up some interest.  We'll see.

Kilo,

I don't know why you can't see the photos.  The only thing I can suggest is check your user settings and see if something is not turned off.  Is it just this thread or others, too?

A few in others, but all of yours. I'll figure it out. For now I'll have to use my imagination. I'm sure it's awesome. My Dad showed me how to do lead filling when I was a teenager. It is now an almost lost art, but it works great.  Hope you feel better soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Kilo,

I have a couple of different web browers.  I generally use Firefox, but I get occasional weirdness with it on a few websites.  When it acts up, I use Google Chrome.  You might try another browser on Ratsun and see if that helps.

A few in others, but all of yours. I'll figure it out. For now I'll have to use my imagination.

• Like 1

Been a while for updates.  I've been so busy that I didn't take a lot of pics, but here's a few..

First off, Props and a huge "THANK YOU" to Wicked Jester / aka: Nelson.  This man spent a couple of days down at my friend's shop helping me out replacing every gasket and seal on the L20 motor for my goon.  By helping me, I mean I was cleaning parts, painting parts, and handing him tools :)  I learned a LOT (especially the weird oil pump / connecting rod / dizzy assembly-relationship thing)  I'm sure I could have gotten it all done myself, but this saved me HOURS and HOURS reading manuals and figuring it out on the fly.  I got much more out of it observing and turning some bolts here and there.   Nelson may have learned a thing or two from my friend Smitty, and I know he picked up a few new terms while he was there.  We also had some pretty good meals, too :)

I plan on swapping the motor, but I want to put the wagon back together with the L20 and get all the gremlins out of it first.  The motor ran real good when I was driving it, but it leaked like mad from everywhere, hence all the new gaskets.

The oil pan was bent to shit and rusted, so I spent nearly an entire day straightening it out and painting it.  Laying it on the bench, there was about an 1/8" gap where it would rock back and forth.  It had been over-torqued, and the bolt holes were all high and low causing the problems.  We used steel plate pieces and flattened the flange out with a vice to get it back into shape. 

A bath in muratic acid got it super-clean, and then the outside skin was painted.  Now it looks too nice for the rest of the motor..

pan1.jpg

pan.jpg

I spent today bolting the steering back in, and touched up the various suspension parts.  I used an airbrush at super-low pressure and didn't really have to mask anything.  Airbrushes are the rat's ass for doing fine detailed work like this. 

My phone camera just does not like the engine bay, and doesn't do the color justice.  Here are a few pics anyway...

bay1_1.jpg

bay_1.jpg

• Like 4

I bought some universal window seal for the back hatch. 

htchrub.jpg

Looks like the window will easily mount in there.  However.....

htchrub1.jpg

I didn't account for the drain holes at the ends of the channel. 

I really wanted to get a seal withOUT the stainless trim, but nobody makes one for the wagon hatch.  The universal seal was $50.00 for 25ft.  I think the hatch seal is about $150-ish or so from the Datsun vendors.   

I could weld up those holes and repaint, but we'll see.

• Like 1

I didn't even know those holes were there. Good to know! I wonder if for temporary sake, you could find a black plastic plug to stick in there, so it doesn't look like an omission? Maybe something like below from Scott's old Rubber? http://www.scottsoldautorubber.com.au/catalogue.htm

My goon has chrome trim ones but for some reason that I haven't looked into, the chrome trim isn't staying put. Not sure what is going with it.

page57.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Fisch.  The rubber partially covers the hole, so I don't think the rubber will fit over the plug. 

I'll probably bite the bullet and buy the "proper" hatch seal.  I could always just leave off the trim.  I've seen that done fairly often.  

• Like 1