Dirt track 510 Race car (Lets go fast and turn left)

Should I bring this to the JCCS 2012 or not?  

1. 1. Should I bring this car to the JCCS, yes or no?

Here I go again... No pictures yet, I was just brain storming. (it hurt a little) I am going to start building my 2 door dirt track race car soon. Yes OIC's will be posted soon too. I know that most people that race 510's are on pavement, but I race on dirt. I was just curious if I get this thing done in time, would it be a waste of time to drag it 2000 miles to the JCCS or would you guys be interested in seeing a Dirt Track 510 Race Car? I gotta be honest though, I do get irritated when people go "is that a demolition derby car?". I guess people don't realize that dirt track race cars don't have windows, because they get covered in dirt and then you can't see. Anyway, I'm going to be starting to build this thing soon and my plan was to make this more of a "show car" race car. So, please use the above poll and let me know what you think. My race wagon in my avatar will give you an idea of what to expect, but I have a different paint scheme in mind for the two door.

Keep in mind, I'm probably only gonna put a lot of time into this to get it done before September if there is a real interest, although I'm going to build it either way.

More to come soon.... biggrin.gif

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here I go again... No pictures yet, I was just brain storming. (it hurt a little) I am going to start building my 2 door dirt track race car soon. Yes OIC's will be posted soon too. I know that most people that race 510's are on pavement, but I race on dirt. I was just curious if I get this thing done in time, would it be a waste of time to drag it 2000 miles to the JCCS or would you guys be interested in seeing a Dirt Track 510 Race Car? I gotta be honest though, I do get irritated when people go "is that a demolition derby car?". I guess people don't realize that dirt track race cars don't have windows, because they get covered in dirt and then you can't see. Anyway, I'm going to be starting to build this thing soon and my plan was to make this more of a "show car" race car. So, please use the above poll and let me know what you think. My race wagon in my avatar will give you an idea of what to expect, but I have a different paint scheme in mind for the two door.

Keep in mind, I'm probably only gonna put a lot of time into this to get it done before September if there is a real interest, although I'm going to build it either way.

More to come soon.... :D

It's classic and Japanese. Who is gonna give a shit if it's a dirt car or not. If you wanna drive 2k miles to show off your work then do it. Unless your expecting some kind of award or something then I don't see how it could be a waste of time. Besides, I'd like to see it wink.gif

• Like 1

If you don't want to tow it 2k miles, you could take it to the multi state grand datsun classic next sept/oct (just a couple miles less), cuz I'd like to see it too :D

there was a dirt track 510 on the portland cl 4 or 5 years ago. it can be done and probably works well i say go for it, kick some dirt track ass with a datto

i wonder were that car ended up.....

I actually already have one that I race, it's my avatar. I love racing the old goon. This one I'm getting ready to start building is a two door though, so it'll be much nicer and yeah, they do really well on dirt.

I'm digging the dirt idea...my wagon is going that way. I have to find your build thread on your wagon. I want mine to ride stiff....rally stance.

I built the wagon, before I really knew about Ratsun, sorry no build page... :( :( :( I do have some build pics though, but not many. mainly it's painting stuff, not really worth the effort of posting. My car is set up with very soft suspension, I actually removed a leaf from each side in the rear to soften it up and get more traction on the dirt, then I bought some good shocks, I'm planning to get some "race" shocks from Speedway Motors this year though.

Here goes the first set of OIC's...

first a few pics of the car...

Racecarpics011.jpg

Racecarpics007.jpg

Racecarpics001.jpg

Here's a pic of my empty engine compartment...

Racecarpics009.jpg

this is a pic of the quick disconnect stub I welded on the steering shaft...

Racecarpics005.jpg

Here's a couple pics of the steering wheel mounted up on the quick disconnect...

Racecarpics006.jpg

Racecarpics015.jpg

Here's a pic of the Racing Seat I'll be installing, It's an aluminum Kirkey Light Weight model...

Racecarpics003.jpg

Pic of the front hubs I'll be using, before I install the 1" Racing Lug Studs...

Racecarpics012.jpg

These are the 1" Racing Studs I'll be installing in the hubs...

Racecarpics014.jpg

More to come....

I'm fiddling around on the web and looking for rear racing shocks to use. I know that lots of guys run 68 Camaro rear shocks on lowered cars, does anyone know how long they are compressed and fully expanded? :unsure: I'm looking at these....

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/AFCO-Steel-Body-Stock-Mount-Shocks-1968-79-Nova-A-Type,41178.html