Datsun J16 engine(needs head work) 4spd trans

I've decided its time to swap to a modern motor set up. Any body know what I should sell the J16 motor/trannny for? It needs valve work, compression is low in cyl. 3.

All acc included

New Valve cover and Exhast gaskets

Carb was Professionally rebuilt by Contra Costa Carb

GM Alternator

New Hoses and coolantt

Cap, rotor, plugs, and wires

Trans and Diff fluid

Electronic fuel pump and filters

6519312613_d16f67e72d.jpg

GOPR0421 by mtbmiller, on Flickr

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"

Read First: Rules for posting in the For Sale section

SellerThe item for sale MUST have a price on it. Auction style postings will not be tolerated.

There must be a location where the item is being sold. Doesn't have to be exact

Failure to conform to the above rules will result in the post being removed. No exceptions!"

I'll give you 10$ and some gum.

Nvm I'll keep the gum, gotta fix the valve.

its the rare J16

I've hered, "they are EXTREMELY rare in the states!!!!!! I had one years ago.....sold it for $50 since I had no intentions of running any pushrod stuff.....but that was before I had my NL. That motor should bolt in in place of an E1 in the 320's or the J13 in the 520/521's. I sold mine to Datsunaholic and he said he's only ever even heard of maybe 5 in the states. I probably could have gotten around $500 for it. If I still had my NL....I'd certainly pay that for it now! It has enough power to handle the 3.89 gears in the diff. I could do 70 with my E1 and those gears, but it wouldn't hold it well......the J16 certainly would!"

Yeah, I got a J16 from Mike Klotz. I needed a J13, he said he had one, I drove all the way from Tacoma to Gresham on a Sunday Morning to buy it and both he and Dave (?) were there and neither noticed it was a J16. I'm pretty sure I paid $100 for it, but hell it might have been $50. I also have a J15 in my '68 520. Bought it that way.

I've heard the J18 and J20 have 5-main cranks, hence very different bearings.

Yeah, I got a J16 from Mike Klotz. I needed a J13, he said he had one, I drove all the way from Tacoma to Gresham on a Sunday Morning to buy it and both he and Dave (?) were there and neither noticed it was a J16. I'm pretty sure I paid $100 for it, but hell it might have been $50. I also have a J15 in my '68 520. Bought it that way.

i was with you on that trip, i can't remember how much you paid either but it was cheap.

I'm thinking about keeping it, do you know anywhere to get parts to rebuild it? Thanks

[/quot

A bit off topic here, but you say you have a 68 520, you wouldn't happen to have or know where to get a couple of 68 headlight rings would ya ? The trim pieces that fit with the grill, thanks

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.