My 77 KC 620

Farmer Joe

Im not going to do a rattle can job on my truck. Im going to see about getting some paint that closely matches the factory orange colour to paint it. Ive got a cheap little spray gun that should work. It should be painted in a few weeks.

well you can buy rustolem paint in a can for a spray gun. i just did the rattle can cuz it was a damn near match and it was just the frontend that needed painted.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well i got bored today and figured i take a couple new pics of the 620. it dirty as hell cuz its been rainin here, and frankly... i havnt washed it since it was still 70 outside. lol

oh yeah, dont mind the oddball wheel ive got on it. i had a blowout the other night. my u bolts are too close to the tires with all the drop it got, so the sidewall doesnt exist anymore one that tire. gotta trim the ubolts one of these days before i shred another tire.

1202081351.jpg

1202081352.jpg

1202081352a.jpg

1202081353.jpg

yes, its a real, working spot light!! lol. had it sittin in the closet for a couple months and finally got to puttin it on a while back. its really bright at night!!

You were right, i went to wal-mart and they have the spray paint. The colour on the cap looks way off, so im going to get a can and test it. Might prime a big spot on the shop wall and test a few colours to see what i want.

okay! so the exhaust manifold is on! but it was a pain in my ass. i had to grind a groove in it when it came in contact with the intake. i also had to grind an edge off the intake in the same spot. not too fun.

but anyways, everything is all sealed up on the motor. no vacuum leaks or exhaust leaks.

i didnt have time tonite to finish the entire exhaust system though. i did manage to reuse most of my old exhaust, and some camaro exhaust also. ive got a pipe all the way back to the carrier bearing crossmember. im gonna finish it up tomorrow with the chambered muffler.

i do have some bad news though. the header didnt make it out alive... its now in maybe 6 pieces... you have to either pull the torsion bar or pull the motor to get it out, so it met its end by the sawzall. :thumbdown:

anyways, i did manage to get a few pics tonite.

here ya go...

heres where the header was broke. the #1 primary right off the head.

1207081346.jpg

turbo L20b?

1207081435.jpg

and success! there it is under all those wires and hoses! it sounded badass open manifold!

1207081617.jpg

so thats it for now. ill get a video and some more pictures when i get it done.

Edited by Farmer Joe
damn that sounds nice.... i need to hurry and get mine redone now :( if i send you another check, you make me a collector like yours :D pm me a price and i will mail out tomorrow :o

if i had the means again, i would. but i had to ask a few favors to get mine done. it no fun when you dont have your own tools.

• 3 weeks later...

well the unplowed roads here that turned to solid ice about a foot tall in the middle of all the roads has fucked my exhaust up a little. hit some nasty shit in the road doin like 40mph and bent the exhaust. so the end of the muffler drags on the ground. but itll be an easy fix.

im still goin to run the exhaust on the outside of the frame here one of these days though. im tired of havin to pussyfoot around with this exhaust being so low. i just need to find a long skinny muffler and ill be in business.

more to come...

• 2 months later...

well i almost have the 5 speed swap done. i wold have had it done yesterday, but we had a huge hail storm that dumped marble sized hail for like and hour. then it rained for another hour. so i could only get the auto tranny out and the 5 speed set in.

i did get the clutch system working last night tho. it work really good! better than any of my old isuzu's... lol. i need to also get 2 longer bellhousing bolts. the bottom most 2 are too short to work with the new trans. the bellhousing has a thicker area that the bolt goes through.

all thats left to do is get the rest of the bellhousing bolts in, get the trans crossmember bolted in, hook up the driveline, and put the shifter in and get all the interior back in place.

yeah i know... it didnt happen if theres no pics. ill get some pics today for sure.

more to come...

well it looks like im talkin to myself in here...

huh, anyways, i got the 5 speed swap done today. the transmission works great! its so much nicer to drive now. i dont have any pictures of the swap, but ill try and get a video tomorrow.

all in all the swap went very easy other than im REALLY sore from holding up the trans to get it in the pilot bushing lol.

more to come...

well the master cylinder is goin out. i kind of figured it would. it sat for a couple years with no fluid in it. i went to the junkyard and they wanted $19 for a used one. told em to jump in a lake. fuckin overpriced assholes.

anyways, ive been gettin around with it okay tho. the pedal just bleeds off kinda fast sometimes. nothin to worry about tho. ill get another master here soon i think.

more to come...

i just started driving my truck, and i already want a 5 speed. did you do a z trans or regular? i'm going to have to pick up some of that paint for touch-ups on mine. why would this color be burnt orange? who cares what they call it i guess, it matches perfect.

..for like 3 dollars more there is a rebuild kit:confused::mellow:

I have one you can have, but it is used.

I haven't installed it cause my brakes aren't "that bad" yet;

I've noticed my 620's brake reservoirs never stay full, but I'm used to checklng it enough to where it doesn't go empty-

If you are interested (and maybe willing to get shipping) let me know.

justin, thanks for the offer. ill keep you in mind when i do my brakes. i noticed i didnt say whether it was the brake or clutch master cylinder. while both are bad, the clutch master was what went out.

the trans is from a 1980 720 that had the l20b. its real fun to drive. i love the gearing. 1st and 2nd are pretty "tractory" with the 4.37gear. i can just let the clutch out in fisrt, and i take off in second all the time. and the freeway with the overdrive totally justifies putting this thing in!

i still have 2 cans of the burnt orange paint. i actually need to do some touch ups here when it gets warmer. i think they call it burnt orange is cuz its quite a bit darker than rustoleums regular orange. on the first page you can see i painted my front fenders regular orange. it was bright!