My 77 KC 620

Farmer Joe

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so you don't want it (the axle) to sit square in the middle of the notch?

no you dont.

im, in the future, goin to bag this truck. to do that im going to be using a triangulated 3 link. when you use any type of link system for suspension, radius problems arise. when i mount the axle on 2 parallel bars instead of a leaf spring, the axle is goin to travel in a semi-circular motion as the truck goes up and down.

now when the truck is layed out, the axle is goin to move forward anywhere from a 1/4in to 1/2in.

thats why the notch is set forward.

anyways, i went to the junkyard today and found what i think is an l16 exhaust manifold. they only want 20buck for it. so im gonna go pick it up tomorrow.

so hopefully by this weekend i can redo the exhaust so i can lower the truck some more!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey man, the truck looks great...how many leaves are left in the rear? It looks like there is only one...? How is the axle wrap when you romp on it from a stop light? I would like mine down more in the back, just wondering about the results for performance (cause an L16 is such an animal off the block!).

Hey man, the truck looks great...how many leaves are left in the rear? It looks like there is only one...? How is the axle wrap when you romp on it from a stop light? I would like mine down more in the back, just wondering about the results for performance (cause an L16 is such an animal off the block!).

it has 2 leafs basically. ive got the main leaf and the thicker overload. thats all.

when i take off from a light i know that its torqing up, and it just makes the rear on the truck sqwat a bit.

im soon going to be flipping the main leafs, to get the back a little lower.

now im not sure how many leafs a 520/521 has, but i wouldnt monoleaf it if you dont have to. maybe take on leaf out and go with a 2, maybe 3inch lowering block.

• 2 months later...

well its been a while since ive done anything with the truck. i think the most ive done is put an alternator belt on it.

anyways, i finally got a non emission exhaust manifold from a buddy of mine. so today i stated making the new head-pipe for it.

its not pretty but itll do what it needs to do...

0802082002.jpg

0802082002a.jpg

im gonna clean it up some more when i get to building the pip part of it.

but at least i have the baseplate done.

got some pipe to start makin the rest of the head-pipe.

heres what ive got so far...

0803081412.jpg

0803081415.jpg

what its gonna look like hopefully...

0803081413.jpg

i left some material inside the pipe, so i might be able to weld it up on the inside of the pipe, so i have more room to get a socket on the nuts that hold it on the manifold.

0803081416.jpg

0803081417.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

so its been a while since ive updated. havnt done much to the truck. just alot of regular maintenance.

oh yeah, ive had the truck for a little more than a year now! haha! and in that whole year i didnt have to do one single thing to it. it just ran and drove fine. untill like 3 weeks ago when it wouldnt hardly run.

so i pulled the fuel filters and they were full to the brim of nasty, concrete staining rust liquid.

so after 2 new filters it runs awesome again.

other than that i havnt done really anything else to it.

still tryin to get some money for the exhaust, and the parts for the 5 speed swap.

so that about it...

Wow i love the wood in the bed pic...:lol: totally slammed!

haha! when i had all that wood in there it swapped so bad goin down the highway. i need some not so 'big bubble' tires! lol

Is your frame notched? My axle hits the frame before the diff hits the bed, maybe the year difference changes that or something.

yeah my frames notched. theres pic of it on the first page of the thread.

What colour is that? Ive been trying to chose between orange and yellow for my '78. If that is a rattle can job, ill be doing orange.

well the paint is stock from the doors back. but the frontend is Rustoleum Burnt Orange. just rattle can. its held up amazingly!

Im not going to do a rattle can job on my truck. Im going to see about getting some paint that closely matches the factory orange colour to paint it. Ive got a cheap little spray gun that should work. It should be painted in a few weeks.