column shift gear box help

Jon-Doe

a long time ago i came across an RB gearbox that was column shift. i know they are out there they used them on taxis but are like rocking horse dung to find and i should have grabbed it when i had the chance.

im guessing nissan used a popular column shift gear box to fit the RB engines or used parts from a column shift gearbox to fit the RB box.

i know RD gearboxs bolt up and come in nissan homy vans but i dont know if they are column shift

possibly a TD gearbox would fit which i know come column shift but im not sure if they fit RB engines

is there a way to do this?

any help much appreciated

also

what column shift gear boxs are available for nissan engines?

what gear boxs are interchangable between engine series?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most likely it was a 4-speed. The difference between "R" remote shift and "F" floor shift is all in the rear tailhousing, but I haven't heard of any 5-speed of the R type.

71-series gearboxes were used with just about every Nissan-Datsun engine family for RWD applications, including the RB and RD engines.

Nissan Laurel also had both RD and RB engines, but were all F type.

Most likely it was a 4-speed. The difference between "R" remote shift and "F" floor shift is all in the rear tailhousing, but I haven't heard of any 5-speed of the R type.

Yes you have, but everyone forgets them, certainly Nissan has forgotten them. IT, had an RS5W71C and Z24i in it and was built from '86 and through most of '89.

71-series gearboxes were used with just about every Nissan-Datsun engine family for RWD applications, including the RB and RD engines.

Nissan Laurel also had both RD and RB engines, but were all F type.

they wernt all F type .... laurel and cefiro both had column shifts but were only made for taxis.

interesting about the 71-series gear box, i take it its the same as what i would find on a TD engine?

"The same"? No. 71-series gearboxes come in A, B and C versions. The RB versions are 71C. Various 71C had different front cases (to suit different engine families), different length output shaft and tail housing, different input gears (affecting spread and torque reduction), and different gear sets. But then again generally you can swap the front case among different 71C boxes. Possibly also the rear shift mechanism too if the 71Cs are the same length.

"The same"? No. 71-series gearboxes come in A, B and C versions. The RB versions are 71C. Various 71C had different front cases (to suit different engine families), different length output shaft and tail housing, different input gears (affecting spread and torque reduction), and different gear sets. But then again generally you can swap the front case among different 71C boxes. Possibly also the rear shift mechanism too if the 71Cs are the same length.

not to keen on doin that modification really wanna keep it column shift if i was to do it

i just had a look and found it ..... thank you google

http://datsun1200.co...n#Tail_Housings

so the RB/VG gear boxs are pretty much the same internally?

recently found out RB bellhousings fit ca engines which means the following rear sections are possible:

FS5W71B

L-series

Z-series

LD diesel

SD diesel

CA petrol

RB gearbox no. FS5W71c

i just need to figure out what model of car comes column shift and has these engines that should make things easier to search :D win

im guessing a CD diesel is also a 71B?