what radiator to use for ka swap?

80datson

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you're going to turbo up your KA, a rabbit radiator is good enough (is for my NA-KA24DE). You can also use a Pontiac Fiero radiator as well...look for Gus-Gus's post on his Fiero radiator install. I think he got it brand new from ebay for around $100 or so.

I've got a Fiero one with my L20b, runs really cool but no idea how it does with a KA. I heard from Troy Ermish there is something about the fins and its not as effective as one of the aftermarket ones at speed or on a track. He has one I think they make but its pretty expensive.

Fiero rad is pretty easy to make some mounts for, I just got some angle brackets from the hardware store and bolted them together working as clamps ... Added some foam in for anti-vibration mounting and it holds in nicely.

Here are the bottom ones, I didn't take a pic of the top mounts but they are similar.

img20110802134729.th.jpg

The fiero one really fits perfectly in the engine bay, its just the right width and height for the front of the 510.

Not pretty, but it works.

The one i use in mine and my customers is a (Spectra - CU1557) for a 98 jetta. It seem to fit the best and be the biggest one I could find without buying a custom one for big money. It's quite a bit bigger that the rabbit one. You'll need to get the factory rubber mounts for the bottom from a wrecking yard or the vw dealer since it doesn't come with them. You have to shave the lower mounts just a tiny bit to fit between the rails and then I just bolted it all the way through the core support. The two prong VW temp sensor fits also. I pay about $85 or so new for them. I run one 12" puller fan, and it stays super cool even on the hottest days and through the canyon roads. (the other fan is in there just for looks, lol)

P1130050Small.jpg

P1130073Small.jpg

P1130075Small.jpg

the fiero radiator has left to right inlet outlet I think routing hose may be tight. That radiator in the pic looks exactly like mine in my wagon. also gotta remember the coolant flow is reversed in a ka compared to a L engine. so making sure your sensors (if inline) are in the right hose.

The one i use in mine and my customers is a (Spectra - CU1557) for a 98 jetta. It seem to fit the best and be the biggest one I could find without buying a custom one for big money. It's quite a bit bigger that the rabbit one. You'll need to get the factory rubber mounts for the bottom from a wrecking yard or the vw dealer since it doesn't come with them. You have to shave the lower mounts just a tiny bit to fit between the rails and then I just bolted it all the way through the core support. The two prong VW temp sensor fits also. I pay about $85 or so new for them. I run one 12" puller fan, and it stays super cool even on the hottest days and through the canyon roads. (the other fan is in there just for looks, lol)

P1130050Small.jpg

P1130073Small.jpg

P1130075Small.jpg

Is that radiator the one for with AC? I called autozone and ordered the one without AC which I think is a bit smaller and cost 50 dollers more.. what's the major difference??? Should I return and get the one with AC??

My kitchen table isn`t even close to this clean..ohmy.gif

Neither is mine, lol, (but the cars we build are.)

Do Yu have pics of that?

Not at the moment. I just went to the local "pull and save" and looked around till I found something that worked from another car. Many newer cars fill from the heater hoses now a days.

Or just run something like this. http://www.summitrac...parts/SME-2202/

SME-2202.jpg

I'm using the same Jetta radiator as Creepy. Same inline filler as in the above post too. I used 2 rubber donuts under the lower mounts and the uppers are simply a piece of flat stock with a peg welded to the side then a short piece of rubber hose slipped over the peg. Instead of 2 fans I'm using one 16" puller. The fan is mounted to the core support and doesn't actually even touch the radiator. It's not actually a KA but the displacement is the same. I HIGHLY recommend this radiator. I ran it through July and August and had no overheating issues whatsoever. It fits, works great, it's cheap. Whats not to like?

001-51.jpg

002-42.jpg

• 1 month later...