Projekt South Paw 1971 510

jrock4224

something interesting came up...

i got this buddy who has been telling me about this 2dr 510 he has had and he has taken it to east coast and moved it to california when he came back out here....car was original from cali...then moved up here and its been sitting for ten years...so he decides he wants a wagon and wants to know what his 2dr is worth... mind you i been looking for a nice 4 dr for a while now....so i tell chris hey get it running and bring it in and i will give you a idea....

so one day headed back from lunch i see this clean 2dr on panasports up ahead of me ... well i miss the first light... then drive my little mazda like a criminal insearch of a car chase to try and catch him... i am weaving and speeding double over...cant find him finally i see him when i am almost to my work...and i notice he is going to my shop....yeah!!!! i didnt get a ticket...well its chris and he is driving one of the cleanest rust free all intact 1971 510 i have seen in person...front and rear apron are dentless and perfect...all the original interior is intact and in good shape...all the upper and lower stainless has not one ding in it....its got a dent in the front fender and thats it....mind u i have that very front fender i my posession but in red so i could have a complete car... so we talk it up for a bit he thinks is car is worth less then what it is.... man i like chris nice older asian guy but i cant let him not get what its worth for it...so in the mean time i am wondering inmy mind if i can own this .... man i want it its so nice...but i got my jet boat to finish and a fence at my house and some other costs coming up so i reluctantly cant buy it... then i remember left hans always wanted another 510 i send him a pic and he says for me to buy it ... i say i cant...i want to but i cant.. he offers to help with the dough.. but i know if i bring home another car right now it better have a bed in it....to sleep i not haul stuff...so i call hans back andtell him he should buy it one of us has to own this car its too nice... he is about to have a baby so he think for a minue then goes and looks at it since he only saw pics and ultimately he buys it for a fair price for what it is .. .mind we coulda got it for cheaper but chris is a super nice guy and i dont wanna cheat a fellow datsun lover...so here it is these wheels are gone chris kept them for a mini cooper

df0e423a.jpg

e3c55c49.jpg

so hans picked this up its already a bare roller some how he talked me into squirting a quick paint job on this....he order full troy ermish coilovers for it , full new rubbers for it and four wheel disc brakes and a set of 16" konig rewinds, a set of s2000front seats and a carbon fiber chin spoiler...and int he process of looking for a lsd for it...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

.....so instead since i am wating for my money tree to bloom again i been spending some time helping hans with the 510 i found for him ... he went from building a driver to spending his unborn daughters college fund building a new datsun....heres the progress i thought i would share ...

heres how it came to me as a buyable car....unfortunately i spent my money on a boat ...

6315cdba.jpg

1a578ea3.jpg

heres what happeneed with in a week of deciding it was more than a daily driver...

7156d681.jpg

heres it epoxied and ready for blocking...

c255a9ce.jpg

46e55516.jpg

this is after the first block an after deciding once a clock hits double digits in the hour its safe to drink beer...WHAT, it wsas 10 am....anyway i got a little artsy with the guide coat...

e2bfcd26.jpg

0e9f51a9.jpg

ready for wet sanding and color after three blocks....

898b1f55.jpg

this is his datsun 521 truck that we started about 6 months and he is having a work friend do the paint work so far we lapped the trucks progress in about two weeks time ...sounds like we will end up finishing it after this 510.... doesnt matter i havent even started the frame fab work after i saw how long the rough out took....i am cuting out frame plates and some other stuff as i havge time

265081b3.jpg

d1bb9aaf.jpg

....stoppped and loaded up some firewood as per wifes request whilewating between coats...

13fe4cce.jpg

and why we call Hans, Jesus ....striking resemblance and i think he actually is starting to think he is jesus...pictured here with his faithful disciple jake....10 years old this year...

cd458d11.jpg

the parts he sold his kidney for .....all new coilovers by troy ermish... all new braking system... subaru lsd...new set of wheels same as pic above just 16's instead of the 14s

This car will run the stock l20 2 liter for now with dual sidedrafts but the future will hold a sr20 det for it...dohc turbo charged motor...plan iws a street driver that we can take to the ridge motor sports park and run some laps ...since its right down the street from his house...

ebfb754b.jpg

910cea57.jpg

all new and ever rubber gasket for the car... not exactly what i would soend a grand on but still cool...

2d17a3e1.jpg

f7b5e1b2.jpg

thats what i will spend my 4 day weekend on.... plan is thursday morn at 5 am ....jam the car..... friday morn wet sand out side clean shop and re mask body to the floor and sat paint outside...then sunday wetsand color smooth with 1000grit and re apply color either later that day or monday morn...early...

happy thanksgiving to all... i will post some more pics .. .incase this interesting to any...

i am still on the hunt for a real clean 510 wagon to make a daily driver / track car...got my motor trans sittin here ready....just havent found the right wagon yet... oh andmy wife says i gotta pedde something to make room for anything new... :x

no big house ......hahahahahaha small house big shop....but the ridge motorsports park is about a mile away....not as close as the prison...i kept reminding him yesterday this was a daily driver project when we started and its spiralled out of control and into troy ermishs website and pocket...maybe i shouldnt have showed him the ermish site...

hahahahah yes wife ......get this, he remarried his ex wife(actually a real nice gal...) after a 4 year seperation...she was young and wanted to experience more and got out, so now that shes back he has the ultimate black mail chip...yeah i like the color ... might take some dig pics to capture color better...cars gotta be done early feb....for his baby due date...I cant wait to flog his car for once....hes always poppin wheelies and shit in my trucks

• 2 weeks later...

thanks guys got all the doors finished this weekend and the cowl and the gas dor we forgot about 17 times....got load up some pics....am wetsanding wtih 1500 then 2000 abnd polishing it up for the weekend just finsihed powdercoating the rest of the components so t should start going back together...

the shell got wet sanded with 800 after the first bath in blue then i reshot it twith the doors...i like to sand all my top coats with 800 then reapply acouple more coats... always lays on super smooth the second time after the 800w/d....and in base clear jobs, which this isnot, i sand the clear with 800-1000 then re clear again.....

main reasons for this are ...lays out so smooth the second application after wetsanding and gives me more mat in the color for wets and and polish...

its a tried and true method i have used for years a real necessity in garage paint jobs since they usually are more dirty then a downdraft booth paint job...

• 1 month later...

tried to buy a wagon off here in tilamook.... after 4 days of discussion....and pics.... he is gonna sell it to someother chump that came in after us....fucking truck and enclosed trailer already to to get on tuesday too...spent the dough to fuel up on diesel too....people are so fickle .. .uploading suspension pics of south paw...i guess no wagon for me...and no street bike carbs for southpaw...pics loading....

1fe09d9d.jpg

3b6d8496.jpg

b9decfa5.jpg

f968553c.jpg

all powdercoated ermish coilovers.... seem to have lost the rear end shots...

we experimentd with a few colors n the suspension... i question when hans said gold but i like it ....for once he was right and hopefully still computer illiterate so he doesnt read where i said he was right...

i totally lost the pics of the rear end...all assembled and ready to drop in... hans and i got sidetracked trying to source a really nice green wagaon that came with cbr carbs he was gonna try on this car...if u can tell yes i am bitter i let my mind wander ....thought i twas a done deal ... so i was mind mocking up the car and boom.... all for not...oh well everything happens for a reason...suppose i deserve it for what i put people through

back to south paw....

rear suspension finally in i think since limp mode was only to donate the wheels so south could run....still waiting on 16" rotas from troy ermish

338121c0.jpg

c7c2cbab.jpg

datsun parts aluminum radiator should up yesterday while cleaning the goon out

2c425aa7.jpg

7fd300d4.jpg

holy butt tacos it rolls...at the goons expense...

0f72e6a5.jpg

9e49ec52.jpg