Feeler: Magnetic stealth kill switch?

So I was going through some old magazines a few weeks back and I'd come across plans to make a magnetic kill switch.

It would work by having a magnetic switch hidden behind your dash and a magnet keyfob or token(that you'd keep in the car somewhere so you're not putting a magnet near your wallet/credit cards) that you swipe over the dash.

The magnet token triggers the switch, which closes a relay and sends power to where ever you want, such as a high amp automotive relay.

A small push button switch is used to break the circuit and completely disables whatever the relay was connected to (ECU power supply, starter solenoid wire, ignition coil low tension line, etc).

Since the activating switch is hidden up in the dash, the "kill switch" could be visible (but out of the way... because hitting while running might kill the car depending on what you're connected to) and even if the thief tore it out and jumpered it, they've done nothing but ensured they can't start the car.

I'd probably use a small flashing LED to tell you when the kill switch is armed so you remember to turn it off.

As an added measure, a bypass button for the magnetic switch could be hidden somewhere else so you're not stranded if you lose the magnet.

I'm thinking of designing a PCB and putting together a complete kit. I'm thinking about $50-$60 for Ratsun members, $75 shipped for everyone else.

What do you folks all think? Would this be something you think people would go for?

I was thinking calling it the Gremlin... since, if you don't know how to get control of him, you're car most like won't start. :)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like a lot of work and expense, seeing as a regular $3 hidden switch works just as well. The "hidden" part of the magnetic one could be bypassed just as easily as the $3 switch as soon as the thief finds it. It does have a certain cool factor, but that's about it.

http://www.faymyersp...1_p_404894.html

There are better devices out there but I'm considering RFID for my roadster.

Ooh, that is nice too. One thing I do like about the magnetic switch I'm going to make a handful of is that it can be set up to automatically arm when the car is shut off, you just need to hide the magnet switch somewhere can be reached by whatever you're using for the magnet holder.

The other two things I see as being big pluses is that your break button (the button that arms the kill circuit) can be in plain sight and slapped quickly if someone comes up and car jacks you, and the second is that ever if they have your keys, they still can't disable the kill switch unless they can find the magnetic switch. That's probably what makes it different from the RFID and basic kill switches.

Thank you, by the way, you sparked a thought in my head how I could simplify the over all design. :)