82 720 KC build thread

poor-mans-720

sorry i havent gotten to my reindex this weekend, will have to wait til next weekend. i ended up having to do the brakes on the honda, and the damn wheel hub was seized together blink.gif

on another note, i am putting up a how-to electric fan conversion and hardbody power steering pump conversion.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok so i dont know why your using sae tools, everything on these trucks are metric tongue.gif

the only tools i used were

19mm box end

17mm box end

17mm socket

19mm socket

1/2" ratchet

cheater bar

"puffy paint"

i use puffy paint to make index marks on everything i do. its 90 cents at walmart, dries fast, and sticks to almost anything. its in the crafts section with the clothes paint. it also comes in a crap load of colors, and (the local jusk yard uses paint very similar) so i match the color they used that day and use it to mark my parts so i can take them back to the junk yard cool.gif

when i did this, i took the adjuster bolt out completely. use the 17mm box to remove the jam nut. put the closed end of the 19mm on the main nut and leave it there, as you turn the ratchet, the wrench will jam up against the tranny and you can torque away. clean the threads all the way around and all they way up with brake cleaner, the dirt and rocks make it a long agonizing back out process for that jam nut. spray with PB after they're clean, to make it go quicker.

but first, jack up the front end, tires off the ground about a half inch, and support the cross member with jack stands.

once i had that adjuster bolt out, i loosened the 2 bolts beside the torsion bar on the LCA, this is where the cheater bar comes in handy. i would have used my impact, but its out of commission right now. you just need the brace for the bar to loosen enough to let the adjuster arm to dangle, instead of trying to pry down on it. doing it this way, you just wiggle the whole torsion bar side ot side and it pops right out.

i did make 2 videos, please dont make fun of my voice, i always sound like a girl on video and the phone, and i never understood why. and i tend to ramble.

first video just shows everything i just said except removing the adjuster bolt, and i had already had the bar out and reindexed, just wanted to show the bolts to loosen.

the second video was of me actually pulling the arm out, just to show how easy it is. i did my damndest to make sure i recorded in 1080p, and that it was in focus. it was still zoomed in in the beginning of the first video, i apologize if anyone gets nauseaus from the motions lol.

the videos are public, please share them with anyone that is planning to do a reindex.

here they are....

• Like 1

good segment. Apprrciate the detail.

see, I thought the same thing about the sae, but the damn'd o'l wrenches just fit better... I even talked to myself about it. Was thinking, "my truck must be a one off, it hdas tons of sae, hardly any metric."

good advice on the loosening of the LCA bracket. I had some one ask about a situation where the torsion bar wouldn't come down. Didn't really have an answer, cause when I took my bolt out, it just dropped.

Plus one on the wrench being jammed on the upper nut, I did the same and spun the main bolt using a drill.

came to that solution after about 10mins turning it with a ratchet and not feeling like it was even going... Quick with a drill.

Im going to have to go get some of them markers!!! Lol...

thanks guys, hope it helps. as far as i know, they are the ONLY videos on the internet for this. i searched for hours on end with no results, just blurry pictures tongue.gif

and heres what i use to make my index marks

859a0de238f74347ad73342129a8e4cc_puffy_400.jpg

yea, I know what you mean about no info on this. Was worried to do it myself with out any guidance. The videos are a great touch!!

How many splines did you rotate? Did you measure before and after? I didn't and didn't get to see the diffrerance.

and I noticed our brackets were different on the lca. Probably why I didn't have to loosen bolts.

I rotated 2 splines. I measured using my body trim line. I started with 29" and ended up with almost 32". which leveled my truck out with the rear end. Though I'm maxed out, my uca's are smashing my bump stops. I really need those spacers now

yea, me too... As soon as I get cash im starting it. Just gotta wait for PayPal to hurry up.... Okay, I didn't max mine back out.i left them just level. Not against the bump stops...

I mocked some up outta 2x6... Lol, I know, I know... Wood?? Im not driving it, just creating a model for the machine shop. But will be the exact same, just in aluminum. I'll post pics in the morning of them. Then I'll talk to my machinist to see how long it should take. If I had a damn drill press id just do it all myself... Maybe a investment for myself?? Cut out the machinist and make em cheaper.

I toyed with the idea of making my own and decided against it. Too important of a part to not have done right.

So I've considered taking what you and I put up and making an actual how to in the how to section, but I don't know if I'll get slammed for double posting again

No its cool. I think an official how to in the how too section would be perfect. Copy and paste away. I was thinking about doing it last night.

Technically i don't think it's double posting if you do it. This is my build thread. You posting a official how to, couldn't be double posting. Your just, organizing.

Yea it is!!! Glad we all got it done and no body is missing fingers... Thinking all 720 should do this. I mean the hardest part is loosening the bolts. Just a couple more turns anyou could take it off and reindex it, do it right. I mean hell, you 80% of the way there when you get down there with the tools.