What's a Fair Price for a 82 280ZX?

650savag

I own a 78, 620 and a 80, 720 and I'm thinking about purchasing a nice Z-car but I don't know much about them and don't know what a fair price is. There is one for sale here in town that is a one owner, 1982, 280 ZX, with 79K original miles, always garaged. The owner is asking 4K. Does that sound like a fair price? There are not many Z cars here in Louisiana to compare it to.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

with no other info I would assume it is in outstanding condition. Yes, $4000 sounds very fair. But no more than that without a lot of pictures.

Hopefully its a 5-speed and not an auto. Also, the 2-seaters are worth more than a 2+2.

The ZX is starting to bring more and moe every day.

2+2 are almost worthless tho.

Auto trans can be nice for a daily and 5 speed swaps are not hard to come by.

With 79k it should be really nice. Check out the under side of it for rust or off roading.

4k sounds like a good price if it is real nice. However. You can find a tubo ZX for 4k.

A friend of mine has a 83 Z slick top 5 speed 2 seat with 15800 original 1 owner miles. Just serviced it for him last week. He still has the oe tires mounted up. It is truely a time capsule.

He's not trying to sell but he told me he would take $15k for it and the trailor he hauls it on.

Thanks for the replies and comments. I talked to the lady who owns the car but I haven't driven it yet. It is a 280 ZX, 5 speed, 2 seater. She don't know if it is turbo chrged or not? I don't know enough about the z cars to know so can I assume if it is a ZX that it is a turbo? What else can I expect to have to replace/repair or spend on this kind of car in the near future. It is in super condition as of right now with all receipts for all tune ups and repairs but I would like some kind of expectations for futures expenditures from some of you Z car guys. Thanks, Dan

280ZX is the model. The X does not have anything to do with it being a turbo.

If there is a turbo on the exhaust manifold then it is a turbo. A turbo model will also say TURBO on the fenders, rear hatch, the valve cover, and the center console.

If someone took the time to keep a car garaged and maintained properly I don't see how they don't even know if the car is a turbo or not.

280ZX is the model. The X does not have anything to do with it being a turbo.

If there is a turbo on the exhaust manifold then it is a turbo. A turbo model will also say TURBO on the fenders, rear hatch, the valve cover, and the center console.

If someone took the time to keep a car garaged and maintained properly I don't see how they don't even know if the car is a turbo or not.

Thanks Bleach! I talked to her husband today on the phone and he says it's not a turbo, but it is a 2 seater. Also the ad was a little misleading because as it turns out they are the 2d owners but it has been garaged and that is the original miles (79K). 4 grand may be a little steep for what they have. I haven't seen it or driven it yet but from the ad and their description, it is in great condition. It has been painted (original white ext. w/ stripes), red leather int., and it has 2 small (quarter size) areas of rust. They have maintained it and kept it in imaculate condition with all new injectors recently. Do you think I should keep looking or maybe offer them 3k or 3500?