EFI info

DATN510

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The custom pistons i had made had some problems with the design. Unfortunately they damaged the block and crank, I can get them repaired but will cost more than i'd like.

Did you not turn the engine over by hand during assembly? I can't imagine it would have spun smooth enough to not feel something that would eventually take out the lower end. What happened.

• 2 months later...

Hello all, Here is an update. Had some problems with the custom pistons, the pin holes were milled to small and seized in the 2 and 3 cylinders. Causing lots of damage.

I had to buy a new crank, that i got from Ratsun. bore the block to 3.46" due to scoring. I just got in the mail the new custom pistons, so hopefully ill have the engine back soon.

I did do some work on the engine bay. I tucked the wires through the frame and repainted the engine bay all white. ill post some pics soon and keep you up to date.

Thank you for asking about the progress.

Mike

• 4 months later...

Hey guys and girls,

Hows everyone doing?

Well here is an update. I got the engine all put back together and installed, with the new tranny, clutch and of coarse the turbo.

I'm having alot of problems hopefully you can help? My timing is spot on, but to get her running I have to drop the oil pump and set the rotor 2 slots clockwise to get her going.

I have 2 dizzy's i'm working with, the matchbox dizzy and the custom optical dizzy with the megasquirt aftermarket 24-1 disk.

The timing at idle is 30-35 degrees, I do believe it is BTDC. I did have her running with the Nissan trigger disk, but when I gave her gas it just died!

I am so frustrated with this! and would almost like to go back to the fuel injection. But it would cost to much time and money.

Please someone help! Of coarse I will post pics soon.

Thanks.

Mike 

• Like 1

This seems to be an old thread but if anyone is interested:  About 20 years ago when I built a EFI L18 510 for a customer/friend.

I used a 280 Z ,manifold, cut out the two center runners, reworked the plenum to match up.. That was the most difficult part on the manifold as when the center was cut out there was a mismatch in alignment. I used the EFI parts from a 200sx and electronic ignition distributer from a later l20. I was able to tweak the air flow meter and some other settings. It worked out great. I don't remember a lot of the details after 20 years but I built some pretty mean 510s before I turned the shop over to my son. I probably notched the intake ports to be like the 280.

Hello everyone, I have a really good question for ya!
So I did some more research regarding my timing issues that i've been having some problems with, and came up with a possible solution. As far as the timing issue I believe I have is that my cam is opening the valves to soon, and not allowing the full amount of fuel to mix and compress. which means I believe that the spark is to soon, only igniting 
maybe half of the mixture. my question is, can this be fixed through the distributor timing or is it a mechanical issue? Where I have to set the cam lobes back a tooth or two on the sprocket. Of coarse I know about the valve clearance hitting the top of the pistons. In the new forged pistons I have gotten< after the old ones seized the engine due to a design issue. They placed a grove at the top of the pistons where the valves come down at. The old pistons did have a make on them where the pistons did hit the valves, but didn't damage the valves. although that was the only time I had boost. at this time I have no boost, I did a boost leak test and did have a few leaks and fixed them. I did some thinking about the distributor and believe that no matter where i align the distributor, I wont be able to get proper retard to get this to work right.
I did get the new CAS distributor to get the car started in toothed wheel mode with the Megasquirt, but unfortunately my fuel pump relay started turning off and on. Causing only two of the four injectors to work. which is another question I have if anyone can help me with? I know Matt Crammer is on this site and he's the megasquirt guru! hopefully he can chime in?
Thank you in advance for any info on my problem.
Mike

[/url]">http://20160622_165439_zpse3sficsj.jpg

Here's a pic of the engine bay, I tucked the wires, sealed some holes, some bondo work to smooth the edges, did a base coat and 3 coats of clear

20160822_162430_zpsm8orbypq.jpg

Painted the block and installed. If you can see the wires at the top right?

20160823_153429_zpsaid3svfe.jpg

ARP bolts and timing cover.

20160823_153437_zpsusrbinnk.jpg

20160823_190217_zpsdwkahjkm.jpg

Head on!

20160825_144546_zps7praoysc.jpg

Turbo on with some wraps.

20160823_190157_zps12lhzva3.jpg

20160903_231407_zpsgmntjllp.jpg

Plenum and fuel rail.

20160903_231416_zpsrdoka2mi.jpg

Starter, filter and some hoses.

20160906_163916_zpstf0xraws.jpg

Ill post more later.

Take it easy everyone!

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Datn510, I use the Kameari timing gear for my L-28 builds, the same gear will work for you.

it's pricey, around 200 bucks delivered. I had to get mine in from Japan when I had some friends stationed at Okinawa.

What problems are you having? Retarding the cam will delay cylinder pressure and help with detonation, but won't change compression, advancing the cam will build cylinder pressure at lower RPM and sometimes increasing the detonation risk.

You can use the slack holes to advance the cam 4 degrees or 8 degrees, and by slipping 1 tooth on the chain you can retard by 9 degrees. So, move from pin hole 1 to 3, then slip a tooth, that retards the cam 1 degree...that's all the usable retard you can get in a stock gear, but you could advance it up to 8 degrees if you need to advance the cam.