SWDP 5th Bar-B-Que, 3 day event thread

Steroid

I want to start this thread very early for Our 5th Anniversary event. As most of You know, SWDP is NOT a club with officers, etc. Those of Us that have window stickers and plaques vote on what We are planning, what We want to do, where We want to hold it and such. With the 5th Anniversary next August coming up and with significant developments finding origional SCDP members, the suggestions have been thrown around to possibly make the celebration a 3 day event rather than the usual Sunday event. Some of You have suggested changing the date to Saturday. Others of You from far away locations have wanted to attend but the travel is to great to warrant a one day event. So, here is what is being suggested........

After We have the Bar-B-Que We usually do a historic cruise, with the last location being the historic Wigwam Motel:

http://www.wigwammotel.com/

The owners have been very gracious and have allowed Us to hold pool parties at the Wigwam. Those of You that have attended know how awesome the pool and surrounding area is!! Kumar, who manages the Wigwam, has branched out into holding events around the pool with live bands. He has held the "Wigfest" and recently a blues festival with great success. With this in mind, Mark, Guy, Myself, Greg, Scott and Brad discussed with Kumar holding next years Bar-B-Que there and the input was very positive. Yes, it would be very cool to celebrate 5 years of SWDP events as well as including a historic reunion of the founding SCDP members that We have located. Derek and Guy have experience doing live shows with bands and Kumar knows who to contact since having 3 successful events to obtain the stages and sound equipment. So there it is. You can get a grasp at what I am suggesting here. What would it take to pull this off? Simple. We merely have to commit to sales of 19 rooms for Friday and Saturday. The rooms are very affordable and to be able to keep all Your belongings "onsite" for the weekend and Your trucks safe is paramount. I have commitments for 10 rooms right now. We would need to get commitments for the other 9 rooms and it is on!! There are 3 bands that We are looking into for now. I would like to have the 70's "feel" personally, but other period correct music should be included. Food is no problem. You all have done incredible help in the prior Bar-B-Ques to go over and beyond to keep Us all fed. Ontario airport is very close by. Those of You from across the country can easily fly into or out of Ontario. We can pick You up and drop You off. Parking is not an issue. The dates being suggested are August 24, 25 and 26th 2012. In looking at automotive event calendars, it appears so far that there is no other event being held on that weekend.

So I want to include input from all of You on Ratsun. Not just truck owners, but those of You that share in the vision of returning for one weekend to the 70's with a memorable event.

I welcome all of Your suggestions and thoughts. If We get the 19 room commitment, We will progress forward with the event. Thank You!!! Mike Lepker

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

once the dates are set I think it would be great. I am sure I can make it down with this much time to plan...Who do I need to talk to about making reservations at the Wigwam...just call them up are go through you? Let me know thanks Mike it sounds like a fun weekend.

great idea steroid, i agree with you on doing a 3 day event. i am hoping to have GRIMACE ready to go by that time and maybe tom can have Lil Orange ready as well and maybe charlie will have his truck ready also. just keep us informed about it so we can make plans around work schedules. plus do we need to confirm with you about reserving rooms?

I want to start this thread very early for Our 5th Anniversary event. As most of You know, SWDP is NOT a club with officers, etc. Those of Us that have window stickers and plaques vote on what We are planning, what We want to do, where We want to hold it and such. With the 5th Anniversary next August coming up and with significant developments finding origional SCDP members, the suggestions have been thrown around to possibly make the celebration a 3 day event rather than the usual Sunday event. Some of You have suggested changing the date to Saturday. Others of You from far away locations have wanted to attend but the travel is to great to warrant a one day event. So, here is what is being suggested........

After We have the Bar-B-Que We usually do a historic cruise, with the last location being the historic Wigwam Motel:

http://www.wigwammotel.com/

The owners have been very gracious and have allowed Us to hold pool parties at the Wigwam. Those of You that have attended know how awesome the pool and surrounding area is!! Kumar, who manages the Wigwam, has branched out into holding events around the pool with live bands. He has held the "Wigfest" and recently a blues festival with great success. With this in mind, Mark, Guy, Myself, Greg, Scott and Brad discussed with Kumar holding next years Bar-B-Que there and the input was very positive. Yes, it would be very cool to celebrate 5 years of SWDP events as well as including a historic reunion of the founding SCDP members that We have located. Derek and Guy have experience doing live shows with bands and Kumar knows who to contact since having 3 successful events to obtain the stages and sound equipment. So there it is. You can get a grasp at what I am suggesting here. What would it take to pull this off? Simple. We merely have to commit to sales of 19 rooms for Friday and Saturday. The rooms are very affordable and to be able to keep all Your belongings "onsite" for the weekend and Your trucks safe is paramount. I have commitments for 10 rooms right now. We would need to get commitments for the other 9 rooms and it is on!! There are 3 bands that We are looking into for now. I would like to have the 70's "feel" personally, but other period correct music should be included. Food is no problem. You all have done incredible help in the prior Bar-B-Ques to go over and beyond to keep Us all fed. Ontario airport is very close by. Those of You from across the country can easily fly into or out of Ontario. We can pick You up and drop You off. Parking is not an issue. The dates being suggested are August 24, 25 and 26th 2012. In looking at automotive event calendars, it appears so far that there is no other event being held on that weekend.

So I want to include input from all of You on Ratsun. Not just truck owners, but those of You that share in the vision of returning for one weekend to the 70's with a memorable event.

I welcome all of Your suggestions and thoughts. If We get the 19 room commitment, We will progress forward with the event. Thank You!!! Mike Lepker

hi

Mike it is a good idea i will have my son's and my truck readysmile.gif

Im open to this idea & i think it can be a fun weekend for all.

I will book a T-P as soon as we [sWDP] can agree on some dates.

Im hoping the rest of our SWDP brothers & sisters will chime in with their thoughts soon.

I plan to drive my 620 across the desert to the bbq along with Tony & Mike ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen and Ladies,

You might have already heard that for Our 5th annual Bar-B-Que next year that there are to be some changes. First off, We will be holding it in August. Dates as of this time are to be August 24th, 25th and 26th. You can see that this is to be a 3 day event instead of Our usual one day Bar-B-Que. We will NOT be holding it at Martin Tudor Park and will move to the historic Wigwam Motel on 2728 W. Foothill Blvd. (old Route 66) San Bernardino, CA. The plan so far is to have one live band on Friday evening somewhere around the pool or outside grass area. A second band will be scheduled for Saturday afternoon/evening. Plans other than the band on Saturday are open. A possible cruise might be held during the day into and around San Bernardino, Fontana and Rialto. Sunday will be Our usual Bar-B-Que with plaque presentation held a little earlier for long distance guests to head for home. The Wigwam Motel has been very gracious in the past and with the addition of concerts over the past few years there, SWDP has been welcomed for all three days if We book all rooms. Throughout conversation with a lot of You, We have already confirmed to 11 rooms. This means that only 8 more rooms as of now need to be sold to make the event a reality! Most of You know, or have met Kumar. He has indicated that reservations simply need to be made now by calling 909-875-3005. Room rates for a single room are $77.00 per night and for double room, $82.50 per night. The motel has already been blocked to outside sales. Please advise that You will be attending the SWDP 5th annual event. Rooms must be reserved for the 24th (Friday) and 25th (Saturday). I will be staying, as a few of You will be also, on Sunday the 26th but My understanding is that Sunday is not manditory to hold the event. You must register for 2 days. Food and drinks will be the usual fashion that We all are familiar with. Bring whatever You have in the past. I am suggesting a "Tip jar" to pay for one room that can be used for ice chests, pool attire changing and storage and band equipment. There may be a guest or two that will be flying into/out of Ontario Airport. This is not confirmed yet but I have indicated that someone will pickup/dropoff those needing a ride. As this event shapes up I have no doubt that it will be very memorable for all of Us attending! My hopes are also that a reunion of SCDP members and other minitruckers from the past will for the first time in many years be able to see each other once again! I welcome Your comments and suggestions. If You have any questions regarding the Wigwam, please do not hesitate to call Kumar. Thank You and I look forward to seeing You in August!

Mike Lepker

I booked My room yesterday. I did not mention that You do NOT pay until You arrive. Your card will only be used to hold the room and no charges made until August. I believe 11 rooms are spoken for already so You should really reserve Your's soon. If later in the year You cannot attend, Your room can be released at no charge for someone else. Also please note: there are only 2 or 3 two bed rooms so if that is what You need, 2 beds, DEFINATELY hurry on Your reservation.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

MAN!!! getting to august is sure taking a long time to get to. but on a postive note i am kinda glad it is so i can take my time and do things right to get GRIMACE running and drivable. how many of you feel the same way as i do?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, as of yesterday Kumar tells Me that only 8 rooms have been reserved so far. I had hoped that a few reservations that I was told had been done were on His list, which I thought was 11. He will be emailing Me a list of who has reserved and what room number they have. Once again, if You are worried about Your credit card being charged, I have been told that IT WILL NOT until You arrive. He would like to have most rooms reserved by February, then He will be comfortable knowing that We want to have the run there. So I am reaching out to You that have been waiting until after the holidays to reserve. Thank You, Mike

hey mike, thanks for the update on the wig-wam hotel. i hope that we can get that place all booked up soon. do you know if lake havasu bob is going to the event? i hope so and i hope to see his ride since i didnt see it when i was in lake havasu a few months ago. i will put out a word on the desert datsun guys here and let them know that they don't have 2 pay for rooms now just reserve them and pay for them when they get there. hopefully we can get some more dattos from here to go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...