Anyone want to buy new 320 vent window rubbers?

ol' 320

Touch base with me in October. If you have a fairly decent one we can use as an example, that'll help.

I really need someone who can speak the language - that gets a LOT more accomplished when you're there...

So I mentioned my wife is Taiwanese right.... and that I travel to Taiwan about once a year. My mandarin is still pretty bad, but if you have defined people to call I can probably get her to do a few phone calls, or translate some emails.

I believe there is a Taiwan Datsun group around still that might be a good one to contact also.

However, it has to be pretty low requirement on the time and effort though, as I don't own a 320 :rofl:

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stoffregen Motorsports,

I have purchased numerous parts from Kip Motors. In fact, I asked them to quote a 240Z part. (see http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/thread41722.html).

If you call them and make a preliminary inquiry about the 320 vent rubber I will help you coordinate the distribution of the parts. (I hope that if they can produce the 320 perhaps they could use the extrusion for a 520 rubber.)

Keith

• 1 month later...

Finally got some samples for the 3D printed rubber. We are not using it for our OBJET but if a 3D model is produced it can be ordered out per piece.

27e1c680.jpg

be1b8140.jpg

6199f691.jpg

More importantly we just got a 3D scanner in the prototyping lab.

799ea4ed.jpg

b8cf8de5.jpg

• 8 months later...
If Wayno can provide a set of rubbers to model, could you make a prototype model for 3D printing? and how much? Watching your KA swap, Dguy210, BTW.

Making the 3D model has several steps and limitations.

1. Does the part fit in the scanner? The rubbers probably would, resolution is reasonable. It does prefer to scan white objects over shiny or dark objects but there are some methods to work around that (talc, spraypaint, software settings).

2. The model that it outputs will likely need touchup. It outputs a decent model but there will be artifacts (heavily simplifying this) that need an experienced CAD person to fix. The scanner outputs to Rapidworks but I can convert it to Autodesk formats or others. Fixing the model is not very difficult but it is time consuming and a PITA though. I'm still learning that software, and usually one of our other guys does the cleanup work when it is needed. I generally use the scanner and the nextengine software to average 3D surfaces of various tissues to produce an "average" shape to do other stuff with (usually for mold making). Producing a decent model that would need further cleanup would be quite doable, I just don't have the time right now to do the model finishing.

3. However, I basically have unlimited access to use the scanner and it is free for me to use.

4. Unfortunately, the 3D printer is tightly controlled as the consumables (think 3D ink) is freaking expensive. So getting side projects done is nearly impossible. Otherwise I would have printed off some Ratsun badges by now ;). Since I last posted though we have ordered one of the flexible materials, but that project is kind of setting on the backburner right now so I haven't got to play with it yet.  We are trying to get the funds together to buy one that prints metal though (laser sintering would be my guess) :w00t:

Anyways, yes If I have a decent part that is not too big I can scan it to produce a decent rough model. I would probably not want to do the finishing steps though due to the time involved. As long as the rubbers were mirror images of each other I would only need one though, and it would not need to be perfect at all. Actually an intact but not so good one might be better as though it would need more fixing in the software, there would be no problems about painting it white or damaging it during handling, shipping, etc... A small piece with each of the profiles for the sides would also be nice to scan as that would make it easier to fix the model later (e.g. extrude the profile to fix gaps etc...).

To produce the model there is really no cost for the scanning except my time. So it might sit for a month or so until I was doing a work overnighter anyways.  This would also reduce any nosy questions as this is a shared workspace for my department.

This is the same scanner used for Jay Leno's garage:

Scanner website: http://www.nextengine.com/

I actually have a set of 320 wingwindow gaskets that have been to Jordan and back, they were talking about sending them to Syria, but the unrest over there escalated, so they sent them back to me, the molds were to expensive, even over there.

They are not perfect, but they are fairly good for almost 50 year old gaskets.

There is a guy I have been talking to, he says he is working on 320 wingwindow gaskets with a mold guy he uses in his business, I have not given up yet, I talked with him last 20 days ago, before I send off anything, I want to confirm he is not going to produce them, the numbers he told me were reasonable, so it likely is worth waiting for.

Wayno, you are awesome;)

This not a done deal by any stretch of the imagination, I have been talking to him since late October of last year, his business is rubber parts, and he has a 320 that also needs them, so let us just hope for the best, and celebrate later if it does happen.

You know I'm in buddy.  Thanks for all your hard work on this.

Actually, they'd fit my 312 as well, so I might be in for 2 sets... AND I have a buddy with 2 320's and FOUR 312's... Wow.  This could get good.  :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Is this idea still alive?  I have an extra set.  They aren't in great shape but I think and missing areas could be built up with repair rubber and used as a mold.

Also, is anyone here into silicone rubber casting?  You can make a silicone rubber mold from an original then cast into that.  The resin isn't horribly expensive, something like $100 gallon.  You also have to get some basic fairly simple equipment to get set up to do this.

Does anyone have any fairly decent, or at least intact, loose 320 vent window rubbers they are willing to give up for the cause?

Last I heard every attempt fell thru, seems like no one wants bothered with it, I'm sure theres none or very little profit to be made by reproducing these, and the demand isn't big enough.. I made a set by using 2 good sets of old mazda rubbers to make one good set for the Datsun and modified my frames, a ton of work but I'm very close to a final build with my truck so I had to come up with somethin!!! I also have two full 320 sets, neither in very good condition..

• 3 weeks later...

Which Mazda rubber?

Mazda B2000 series, I pulled mine from an 84ish truck.

I actually got a quote from a guy for 320 wingwindow molds a couple days ago, then I asked a friend of mine over in Australia about the guy, this is what I received from him, I am going to change the name of the company/person right now, I will refer to him as "THE GUY", it's not likely that I will be sending money to THE GUY to have molds made, if he is selling finished parts on ebay, I will buy them just like everyone else, but I am not paying for molds.

G'day Wayne,
                      Mate........................BIG story. I'll just give you the highlights. Now alot of this story has nothing to do with me.  But this guy THE GUY has around $4000 worth of stainless mouldings for my Monaro, and i will never get it back.

OK, so the story goes that this guy THE GUY was doing repro rubber parts for Japanese cars, and good quality stuff too. He was getting them done in Thailand.  
Now these guys in Thailand are also doing repro stuff for other people, including car panels for U.S. cars like Camaro's etc and selling to a particular guy in the states. 

The story goes, someone in the states got onto the guys in Thailand, and paid big money to make tooling for these parts. In return, they were to be the sole supplier of said parts, but.......... the guys in Thailand are dishonest, and sold some of this stuff to THE GUY "out the back door" 
Shame on them for selling someone else's product, 
and shame on THE GUY for doing the deal with them.
So then THE GUY says to the guys in Thailand, i want a heap of early Holden parts reproduced, how about you do them for me?  Of course the guys in Thailand say "sure, you pay for the tooling and we will do it."
So they start off small and he gets some good parts, gets them into Australia and he is the sole supplier of these parts.  More and more tooling gets made and paid for, more and more parts are coming in, THE GUY is making a killing.
So guess what happens!!!!!
Some guys in Australia go to the same back door that THE GUY went to, and THEY start buying repro Holden parts from Thailand.
So THE GUY is now on the receiving end of losing out. He gets the legal stuff happening, and that is where it is at right now.

How do i know all of this i hear you ask.....

Well, a while ago i find a HQ Holden Monaro coupe.  Has all this good stuff with it, but the body is in a panel shop, the upholstery is at the trimmers, and the stainless mouldings are at a reputable dealers place. I visit all of these places to inspect all of the items that belong to the car. So the guy that has the stainless says,"no worries, your stainless is at THE GUYS place, we just need to get it back here" It's all reconditioned ready to put on.
So i buy the car, do the rounds to pick up all of the parts for my car, but THE GUY hasn't got the stainless at his shop, he has sent them to Thailand to be used for templates.
OK, so i want my parts please i  say.  "Well, about that, he says, i can't get them for you as all of this shit is going on right now. I acknowledge you own these parts, and i am doing my best to get them back for you but i am having trouble" 
These parts for the Monaro coupe are super hard to find, and a full set is generally worth $4000. And they don't come up very often.
So there is hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of stuff that people like me have unwittingly loaned out that will never get it back

So, if you are asking my opinion on you doing a deal with THE GUY???? 
NOT ON YOUR LIFE!!!!!!
Buying stuff from him off ebay would be fine. But trusting this guy with $3000, would be like giving a fat kid the keys to a chocolate shop.
With you being in the states, he would have no reason to honor anything for you, because you will never come to Australia to retrieve $3K. 
I think you are most likely in a very hard spot, especially since you are overseas.
If i can help in any way just ask, it is no problem.

I hear the Mazda ones are hard to source new. Is that correct?

Maybe we could ask "THE GUY".

I actually got the Mazda gasket to fit except for the trailing edge issue which can be dealt with in the L320, there are photos in this thread of it in the wing window frame, but one would have to look at if the Mazda B series gaskets are NLA also, if one was to find them anywhere, it would likely be on Ebay or Ebay Australia, but I could not find any today.

I suppose one could join a Mazda forum and ask, but you know how that goes these days, your likely to get flamed.