Photo

Anyone want to buy new 320 vent window rubbers?

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#41 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:01 PM

I just spent at least half an hour trying to get my camera to focus on the gasket instead of the background, here is what the upright part of the gasket looks like on the datsun gasket.
Posted Image
Posted Image
This is what the mazda gasket looks like,
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
As you can see, the mazda gasket does not have the groves on the outside of the gasket, they are on the inside, this is a problem for the NL320s, and a pain all the way around for the L320 also.

Quote;
Did you try and add heat? How about boiling water? And the rubbers you were using were not new were they? New ones would be a bit more pliable.

Answer;
No they were not new, but they were in really good shape, and I was able to stretch them to the length needed, that is not the issue, the issue is there is nothing holding the back edge in position, now I have not tried using "weatherstrip adhesive" as that would be more or less permanent.
I am going to have to think about this some more.

#42 Stoffregen Motorsports

Stoffregen Motorsports

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts
  • Cars:http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/features/rover/0611_4wd_1957_range_rover/viewall.html

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:47 AM

What about scoring or cutting a groove? You could use the stretcher to hold the rubber while you used a thin cutoff wheel (.035") to make a groove. Not the cleanest solution, but remember, there is not a solution yet for 320 owners. This Mazda rubber, with a bit of modifying and probably a few ruined rubbers, might be the ticket.

I just had another thought. What about burning the groove in it? I have a tire grooving iron that would do it.

#43 tonalteco

tonalteco

Hall Monitor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Cars:320

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:21 PM

Im interested in a pair too...let us know

#44 tonalteco

tonalteco

Hall Monitor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Cars:320

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:23 PM

i am interested in a pair...please let us know if you come up with a good group of people

#45 sadie10023

sadie10023

Hall Monitor

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Cars:'62 320 Truck, '67 1600 & '69 2000 Roadsters, '67 RL411 SSS Wagon & Sedan, '64 312 Sedan

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:24 AM

I copied, and pasted "EarlyDatsun Group Yahoo", it sent me to some yahoo page that said nothing about "Datsuns", everything I searched that said early datsun kept going to that page, that page kept trying to put cookies on my computer that also had nothing to do with datsuns. Do you have a direct link to this group/club? I have a 63 L320 with a 62 grill, I am wondering if you have the same body style, or is early 62 differant than the 63-65 body style? This is my 63 with the 62 grill.
Posted Image

Hi Will get back to you on this - just saw reply. ( may have the '63 but must check)

Sadie10023
Onward thru the fog! VROOM Putt...Putt

#46 chzcake

chzcake

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Cars:63 L320

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:33 PM

I would be in for a set of the seals as well. Depending on the price.

As you can see, the mazda gasket does not have the groves on the outside of the gasket, they are on the inside, this is a problem for the NL320s, and a pain all the way around for the L320 also.

What do you mean a pain all the way around? Are the seals different on the L320 than the NL320? Or do you mean it is the same?

#47 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• 13,008 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:43 AM

I would be in for a set of the seals as well. Depending on the price.

What do you mean a pain all the way around? Are the seals different on the L320 than the NL320? Or do you mean it is the same?

A pain all the way around means it's a hassle, and there isn't an easy fix that I have thought of yet.
There is also the issue of mazda seals more than likely being NLA.
The rear upright of the seal is made differantly.

#48 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• 13,008 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

I sent a set(L&R) of L320 wingwindow vent gaskets off a few days ago to see if they can be copied(molds made), I am going to wait for a reply on if they are in good enough shape to attempt a mold, I sent the best set I had.
I will let everyone know if I hear anything, good or bad.

wayno

#49 Dguy210

Dguy210

Service Manual Technician

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts
  • Cars:'74 B210, '71 1200 (project), for sale '84 Benz 300SD.

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:24 PM

I ended up talking to ol' 320 about this a while back and then promptly ended up losing his email address. Anyways another option which has minimal start up cost is 3D printing and Objet has rubber like materials available. However a 3D model would need to be created, but afterwards they could basically be made to order without an upfront cost. Still not that cheap but not ridiculous either (cost can be calculated based on volume).

http://www.globalspe...Material/53294/

#50 twizted320

twizted320

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Cars:65 datsun L320

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:29 AM

Boy I'd really love for someone to be able to reproduce these seals!!! I got my fingers crossed for good news!

#51 mklotz70

mklotz70

Beelzebub

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,604 posts
  • Cars:'64 Fairlane wgn, '14 Kia Forte EX, '70 521(wife's), '72 521(mine)

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:46 AM

I haven't been following this, but I just cruised through it.....

Couple of thoughts.... Steve Epperly, owner of ZTherapy may have an NOS set....someone might try contacting him for a loaner...I doubt he'd sell any since he has a bunch of NL's.

Also.....I know you guys love the wing windows, but what about a single window conversion? The stainless can be tig welded if need be, so it might work for some of you.
Don't have to be too bright to be me!! :D
Sadly, I prove this nearly everyday!!! :(
www.bluehandsinc.com
youtube.com/bluehandsvideo

#52 chzcake

chzcake

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Cars:63 L320

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:45 PM

I have thought about a single window conversion but the wing windows are awesome! haha I hope they are good enough to make a mold!

#53 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• 13,008 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:23 PM

The guy received the wingwindow gaskets, and thought they were in reasonable shape, and is going to send them on to the end destination, I don't expect to hear anything for a while.

wayno

#54 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• 13,008 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:32 PM

I haven't been following this, but I just cruised through it.....

Couple of thoughts.... Steve Epperly, owner of ZTherapy may have an NOS set....someone might try contacting him for a loaner...I doubt he'd sell any since he has a bunch of NL's.

Also.....I know you guys love the wing windows, but what about a single window conversion? The stainless can be tig welded if need be, so it might work for some of you.

I don't expect to see them vent gaskets again Mike, so sending a new NOS set would have been unexceptable I am sure.
I have a NOS set of 521 vent gaskets, and the only way they will leave this house is installed on one of my 521s, I wouldn't expect any differant from anyone else.

#55 Tmack

Tmack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Cars:1965 Datsun L320 P/U

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:26 PM

Depending on price of course. I may want a set.

#56 Stoffregen Motorsports

Stoffregen Motorsports

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts
  • Cars:http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/features/rover/0611_4wd_1957_range_rover/viewall.html

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:14 AM

I just had a thought. Has anybody tried Nissan for these? I don't mean the dealer, I mean corporate. There is a huge Datsun/Nissan museum in Japan at the Zama production facility. There they employ people who's full time job it is to restore and maintain old Datsuns. Wouldn't it be worth a shot?

#57 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• 13,008 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:28 AM

I received some bad news about this a couple days ago, they wanted $2000.00 for each mold, that's $4000.00 for the molds, that's $80.00 for each gasket if 25 sets were to be ordered, then the gasket still has to be made, and then there is still all the shipping costs, to get them here, and to get them to me, and then to get them to you.
We are still looking for a better deal elsewhere, have not given up yet.

wayno

#58 Stoffregen Motorsports

Stoffregen Motorsports

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:13 PM

I like the idea of printing them. It is a rapidly evolving technology, and the machines are not that expensive. The most expensive part of the project would be having someone draw you a 3D part.

#59 Dguy210

Dguy210

Service Manual Technician

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts
  • Cars:'74 B210, '71 1200 (project), for sale '84 Benz 300SD.

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:51 PM

I like the idea of printing them. It is a rapidly evolving technology, and the machines are not that expensive. The most expensive part of the project would be having someone draw you a 3D part.

Drawing the 3D part is not that bad, it just requires a bit of a learning curve. Autodesk inventor student version is free and will easily generate the STL files needed. Several of the 3D printing communities have people you can hire out to do 3D design, and the costs are reasonable.

#60 Thane

Thane

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Cars:Toyota 4runner (1999&1986), Datsun 320

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:00 PM

Hey Wayno,

At my work we have a company that makes custom rubber parts for us, our contact guy is here in the states. I will try to get his contact info, maybe he can help us out.

I have looked the companys web site before, for some reason I remember that they use 3d technology.