Photo

Anyone want to buy new 320 vent window rubbers?

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#21 ol' 320

ol' 320

• PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Cars:67.5 roadster, M3, TR6 w/ 302

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:09 PM

Andrew: Any luck with "Rare Spares" in AUS? I contacted them and tried to order 320 vent rubbers and squeegees and was just told these were unavailable. If you do have a source, please let us know.

Sadie: Scott's Old Rubber in AUS has the rear window gasket listed. I did not order one because mine is fine. I DID order a new windshield gasket from Scott's, but hie is presently out of stock and it is backordered. I am sure he will let me know when it comes in; he says when he does get it I can expect it to arrive in the USA in about a week. I am one of several people who "opted in" to Wayno's new 320 P/U windshield order (see his separate thread) and I did not want to end up sixth or seventh in line for one of these gaskets, so I pre-ordered one from Scott's so I would get his first one in .... if that makes sense.

Kevin Funk: I had no luck with that Yahoo group, either.

I have been driving and enjoying my 320, and working on fixing a bunch of little things. Sourcing another bulb holder to illuminate my new dual SMiths oil pressure/Water temp gauge, repairing the old, folded paper glovebox insert (Wrapped backside with fiberglass to reinforce it) and little crap like this.

Now I'm in the process of ordering and assembling a new garden shed so I can get all the lawnmower, bikes, and other stuff out of the third garage bay so the little 320 can pack inside at night. THis led to a project to repair the side fence, and then to pour a pad to set the shed on, and so I've already planned out my next weekend or two:)

I haven't got much new to report on these vent window rubbers yet. Hopefully the manufacturer reps will be back from their big trade show soon and we can get back on this project. Eric

#22 jrdat

jrdat

Hall Monitor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Cars:73 620, 76 kc 620, nl 320

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:08 PM

I would need one set.

#23 KFunk740

KFunk740

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Cars:1965 Datsun L320, 1974 BMW 2002, 1992 Mazda Miata, etc.

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:51 AM

So.... I've got some bad news....

We'd been counting on using the vent window seals that I received in my spare parts bin to make the molds. I didn't know the history of them, but they looked brand new and looked like they'd fit perfectly. The shape looks right, the hinges sit in the right location, etc. I was digging thru the NICO forum, and managed to find an e-mail address for the guy that actually did much of the work on my truck (and amassed the parts stash), before selling it to a different guy, and then selling it to me.
I went ahead and e-mailed him so I could find out any further history on the truck, and to find out whether he knew of a secret source for the vent window rubbers...

Well, he said that the vent window seals in my stash aren't actually for an L320, but they are for a Mazda truck (REPU I think). He had heard on a forum that they would work, but with the help of his body shop guy, he could not get them to fit. It must be an issue with the way they press into the metal door, because they look pretty damn close. I haven't tried removing my crusty vent window seals to test-fit, though.
I bet its possible to modify them to work somehow, since they do look so close.
But, whether Mazda REPU vent window seals are widely available is another issue. It seems that they might be the same as the Ford Courier, but those aren't easy to find either. It seems that lots of Mazda REPU guys have had success with just using the vent window seals from a ~1980 Mazda B2000, which must not be too hard to find. Soooo... I'm wondering if we could figure out a way of using the vent window seals from 1980 Mazda B2000s (non-sundowner style cab I think).
The Mazda B2000 should have the same shape and the same hinge locations as the Mazda REPU, which appear to be the same as those from my '65 L320. The trouble might be in making them press into the metal correctly, or just using some 3M adhesive of some sort.

For reference, here are the pics of my NOS vent window seals, which appear to be actually Mazda REPU NOS....including some pics of them held up next my vent windows.

#24 AZhitman

AZhitman

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts
  • Cars:63 RHD Bluebird 67 WRL411 68 510 63 NL320 67 SPL311 72 S30 RB25 77 620KC 73 S30 76 S30 89 Pao

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:11 PM

I had also heard from a not-too-terribly-reputable source that early Ford Ranger II vent window seals will work with a slight trimming / reattaching at the top.

67 Datsun WRL411 Build
67.5 SPL311 Roadster
1963 NL320
1968 Datsun 510 Build
RB-powered 1972 240Z Build
240sx Convertible Build

63 RHD Bluebird with 43K original miles

76 S30...in progress

77 620 KC... in progress

89 Pao

#25 ol' 320

ol' 320

• PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Cars:67.5 roadster, M3, TR6 w/ 302

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:51 PM

Does anyone have any fairly decent, or at least intact, loose 320 vent window rubbers they are willing to give up for the cause? I'm looking for a loose set of 320 vent window rubbers, left and right, that I can send off to a manufacturer for evaluation. I have a friend who works for one of the largest computer disc drive companies in the world, and his firm does a lot of precision manufacturing in the far east, including injection moulding and so on. I would like to send a set of 320 vent rubbers overseas with him so he can talk to some of his contacts.

I fear that making these new rubbers here in the USA will cost at least four times more than it would offshore, and I just can't afford to tie up $10,000 in a project to reproduce such a limited demand product - even for nice guys like Wayno;) If something cost $10K here, it is entirely possible I can get the product, or at least the injection moulds, made overseas for roughly a third of that amount, without compromising quality in any way.

I will not reproduce these if they cannot be made in modern ozone-resistant rubber or Polypropylene. In other words, I want modern OEM quality.

So, I'm looking to buy an inexpensive set of 320 vent rubbers, or someone who is willing to long term loan these to me. I don't want to remove mine from my driver L320 because I want to keep the truck weathertight. Since they would be going overseas, or still possibly of to an east coast manufacturer (still talking pricing) I don't want to disable someone else's project truck, so I am looking for "Spare" vent rubbers to use. But they must be OEM, we don't want to reproduce something that is not absolutely known to fit a 320.

It would be great to source these and have them before the end of the year so my engineering friend can hand carry them to Asia with him. Thank you, Eric

#26 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,295 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:17 PM

I can remove a set of them from spare doors I have, but they look like crap in my opinion. wayno

#27 whatwouldjessedo

whatwouldjessedo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Cars:1966 PL411, 1961 Morris Mini, 1984 S10

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:44 AM

Would these fit a 411 sedan as well? If so I would be in for a set.

#28 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• 13,295 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:44 PM

So, I was at the wrecking yard today and ran across a nice looking set of B2000 series mazda wingwindow seals, so I bought them, they were like $2.00 each, so it's not going to break the bank. I had an NL320 window frame out of the door in the back, so I removed the wingwindow, unfortunately I had to drill the upper pivot, as that has a rivit holding it.
Posted Image
After the seal was out, I noticed the first differance, the 320 seal is held on the same way all the way around, the mazda seal is not, two sides are like the 320 seal, the front and bottom, the back side is held in position exactly the opposite way, which is going to be an issue.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
So I installed the mazda seal into the 320 frame and ran into another issue, it is slightly shorter, I was able to stretch it a little, but it wants to return to its stock shape, so I put the wingwindow back into position to hold the seal, but it wants to pull away from the frame.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#29 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• 13,295 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:00 PM

And this is what I ended up with, it doesn't quite fit, and the rear portion going from the top to the bottom doesn't really want to stay in position, as nothing is holding there anyway.
Posted Image
Posted Image
I suppose it could be sealed/glued into position using weather sealer compounds, and the rubber might be able to be stretched permanently on a board or something holding it there for an undetermined amount of time, till it holds the new shape/length.
I have not decided if this is going to work yet, and one corner split when I was trying to stretch it.
Posted Image

#30 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• 13,295 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:20 AM

I made a wingwindow rubber stretcher this morning.
Posted Image
I am going to leave it in there for a while. see if it will hold the new length, then will look into the rear side mount issue, guess I should have bought the mazda frame also, maybe it could be cut(the edge that is differant) out and added to the 320 frame somehow.

#31 AZhitman

AZhitman

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts
  • Cars:63 RHD Bluebird 67 WRL411 68 510 63 NL320 67 SPL311 72 S30 RB25 77 620KC 73 S30 76 S30 89 Pao

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:50 PM

I wonder if putting a little bit of heat to it for a long time (like 48 hours at 150 degrees) would help?

67 Datsun WRL411 Build
67.5 SPL311 Roadster
1963 NL320
1968 Datsun 510 Build
RB-powered 1972 240Z Build
240sx Convertible Build

63 RHD Bluebird with 43K original miles

76 S30...in progress

77 620 KC... in progress

89 Pao

#32 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• 13,295 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:47 PM

I wonder if putting a little bit of heat to it for a long time (like 48 hours at 150 degrees) would help?

I'm going to leave it in the stretcher for a week, then pull it out and check it against the other one.
I think the biggest issue is going to be how the upright mounts, the front and bottom are fine.

#33 twizted320

twizted320

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Cars:65 datsun L320

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:02 PM

Wayno, any further info on the mazda seals?? Im totally stressin the fact for when im ready to put the glass and seals back in my truck, you said b2000 series, from 1980-85??....and the upright has no way of holding itself in place since they were designed differently, is it an issue when the wing is both open and closed or only when its open, if it could be used but only for looks I could handle that considering my originals are total shot...

#34 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• 13,295 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:13 PM

I made that stretcher, but it wasn't stretching it enough, so I made a longer one, and it is in it now.
I went back to the wrecking yard the next day and bought the mazda window frames, my plan is to cut the the part that is missing on are frames out of it, and here is my issue, the NL320 frames are stainless steel, so that is an issue for me, all I can do is glue/epoxy the piece into position, unlike L320 frames which it could be welded in as they are not SS.
Here is a couple of photos of the part that is differant than our frames, are frames do not have anything protruding outward.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#35 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• 13,295 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:40 PM

As you can see, the bottom rail is how the datsun frames are all the way around, the mazda upright is differant.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#36 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• 13,295 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:26 PM

I installed the seal today, it actually was almost to big, as you can see in the photos, the upper area doesn't seat well yet as I have not looked into the rear upright mounting yet, and that would normally hold that part in position. Are the mazda seals still available? I found a good set, but that might not happen very often. All the damage to the corners on this seal were caused by me BTW.
Here are the photos, my camera is not that good under house lights, I probably deleted 30 to 40 photos just getting these 8 photos.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#37 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• 13,295 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:36 AM

OK, I reinstalled the mazda wingwindow seal back into the NL320 frame, and it fits fine.
If you look close at the back upright edge, you can see the strip of metal holding the rear of the gasket strait, this is going to be an issue for NL320 owners, I have not tried to cut the back edge of that piece yet to make it narrow enough to slip in between the NL window frame uprights, and I am not sure I am even going to try for two reasons, one the way it is I can weld that piece to my 63 L320 frame if that is the route I choose to go as it is not stainless steel, the other reason for me is why, my NL320 wingwindows don't leak air at the moment.
If we are to use a gasket to have molds made, I think it would be just better to use a 320 gasket, instead of a modified mazda gasket.
The rear part needs to be connected to the upright, mine is not right now, so when I put the wingwindow in, I had to help the gasket back to close the window
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
The only way I see to make this work properly on a L320, is to cut the rear L320 upright out of the frame, and weld the mazda one in its place, as they are both just steel, but the gasket would still need stretched, but I beleave it would work in the end.

#38 212 320

212 320

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cars:2 1960 fairladys 1964 nl320

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:23 PM

put me in for a pair jeff s fair lady thanks

#39 Stoffregen Motorsports

Stoffregen Motorsports

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,116 posts
  • Cars:http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/features/rover/0611_4wd_1957_range_rover/viewall.html

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:26 PM

Did you try and add heat? How about boiling water? And the rubbers you were using were not new were they? New ones would be a bit more pliable.

I bet if you had new rubber and added some type of low heat to it, they would squish around a bit and re-mold themselves.

#40 ggzilla

ggzilla

Road Warrior

• 19,058 posts
  • Cars:no cars

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:36 PM

I think you are rights. New wing window seals from Nissan are pretty soft and will stretch a bit.
Here today gone tomorrow