I don't know what a per unit cost would be yet, that's why I'm trying to gauge the number of people SERIOUSLY interested in buying these, if I reproduced these through a contract order.
Are there 20 buyers out there? 50? Only 10? I feel like Wayno, trying to arrange a group buy of new 320 windshields for 15 just so he can get two new windshields for his personal projects... But hey, after two years of trying, this poor dude has pulled this off and I hope to benefit with a new 320 windshield myself;)
PS: If you need a new windshield, you better hop on Wayne's thread ASAP, because no one in his right mind will do this again.
Back to 320 vent window rubbers. No one has any new ones, and everyone I know, with one exception, needs new ones because theirs are old, diseased-looking and crumbling away slowly. I'm looking to have these made in better than O.E.M. modern formula Polypropylyne, which will age much better than the Datsun rubbers. I'm not interested in making these with your parent's old "Fright factory" toy set from the 60s... (if you are old enough to remember Creepy Crawlys, good for you!)
I have contacted folks in the USA, AUS, Thailand, Japan and Malaysia and they are simply not available. I found a Ratsun member who has a perfect, NOS set of vent window rubbers that is willing to loan these for use to make a new set of molds. After consulting with four very prominent manufacturers (all produce O.E.M. rubber products for currently manufactured autos as well as aftermarket collector autos) I have received interesting feedback. All four can make these, but one won't at any price, one wants $25K, and blah blah blah...
Here are the options:
- Make a $3,500 set of molds, 3 left and 3 right, and then make onsie-twosies - at additional cost per pair for each gasket made - that are then joined together to make the triangular vent windows. This is a technique that is used for high end custom moldings when nobody else will make something, and the manufacturer has to often make three sets to get two that are of acceptable quality. He makes show car parts, but this method will only produce 30-50 sets at most before new molds are needed. You do the math.... VERY expensive. We would need to have about 15 folks step up who want to pay $250-$350 per pair for vent window rubbers. This guy makes shit for Rolls-Royce, but I don't see this happening for many Ratsun folks.
- The high dollar way is the have a company make a one-piece injection molded gasket (ala O.E.M. Datsun method), which makes superb quality parts and can produce a couple thousand pairs or so, one at a time, left and right run separately. Next least expensive.
- Creating these molds a reputable USA firm will run into the thousands, if someone can be persuaded to do this. No company I contacted is willing to do this as an "in-house" project and take the risk of selling these as a vendor item, so the only way this will happen is on a contract basis with a large, up front commitment.
- I found a couple of companies that are hurting for business (who isn't today???), and now I am down to one vendor I met through SEMA who may be willing to do this at a cost of something less than the price of a new car by the time I had 50-100 pairs of rubbers made.</div><div><br></div><div>I am not interested in becoming a parts vendor for profit, I would just like to have a nice, quiet truck with nice new vent window rubbers.
How many would be interested in a MOLDED high quality set of 320 vent gaskets? Please indicate your tolerance for pain, and I will tally the interest and see if I could get enough made to absorb the dollar cost average of molds and manufacturing amongst the group:
- What if they cost $250 per pair, plus shipping?
- $200 per pair?
- $150 per pair?
- Finally, how much would you pay? I might only be able to make 10-15 pairs. (These won't by any means be available for $50 a pair, there aren't that many 320s out there. We would probably have to pre-sell 100 pairs to get them down to $100 a pair....)
This is a long post, and If this post violates the Ratsun rules, I apologize. I have no idea how many folks REALLY want these, but I bet it is a small number.
I recently bought a 320 pickup and just took delivery from another Ratsun member (Thanks Matt), and I just want to get a pair of new vent rubbers. This means making new molds, and at least two pairs to get one set for my use, as I will owe the lender of the NOS set of gaskets a set.
Finally, if someone has a NOS set of 320 gaskets and will sell them at any price, contact me via PM and I can save myself a lot of trouble!
Or, if you work for an Aerospace contractor and can make injection molds at a Ratsun price, contact me;)