J13 Fuel pump 17010-13901

boxboy

My fuel pump is weeping gas. Not cool. I still am getting 32 mpg though! Anyway, this is just a stab at seeing if anyone out there has a spare laying around or a good source for one. Nissan says they are NLA. I have done some searching on Ratsun and it seems most think staying with the mechanical pump is the best way to go. I just have to find one.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You may try disassembling your fuel pump and see if the Roadster pump components are the same:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NOS-Datsun-Roadster-Fuel-Pump-Repair-Parts-?cmd=ViewItem&item=260828792925&vxp=mtr

I disassembled mine and cleaned the membrane and then reassembled. I have not pressurized the fuel system, so I do not know if a R&R is sufficient.

Keith

Find one for an L16 and try it. No guarantees.... The mounting gaskets and phenolic spacer are the same number. Physically they are similar. L18 and L20B are more or less the same as the L16. Next time Hainz cuts his lawn, ask him to keep one for you.

The A series and the L24/26 are totally different

Find one for an L16 and try it. No guarantees.... The mounting gaskets and phenolic spacer are the same number. Physically they are similar. L18 and L20B are more or less the same as the L16. Next time Hainz cuts his lawn, ask him to keep one for you.

The A series and the L24/26 are totally different

My guess is that the lever that rides on the eccentric is different. Can you change the arms? Is there a rebuild kit for the L16 pump? Would that work?

Yes there were two suppliers with slightly different parts but identical for fit. just like two different makes of the same tire size.

OK both types of pump used on the 520 or 521 with the J13 motor use the same diaphragm part number. Additionally, the diaphragm number for both Roadster engines is a match to the J13 pump.

I spoke with a supplier in Singapore that said he has a pump for the 521 and the 620, but he feels that the arm is a bit different. Were those engines different? Was the eccentric on the cam different enough to warrant a change in pump design? I am thinking if it is a J13 in those trucks, it should work in mine. I am wondering if any of our Aussie or Mexican Ratsun brothers can pipe in here and tell me if there is a difference, or give me a part number that I can cross reference to see if their pumps will work.

ebay has one i have been considering buying (from thailand). also on ebay, datsuncontigo or something similar is also a mexican vendor that i have bought parts from. note: just look at your rocker and compare pics before purchasing. i have seen different patterns of fuel pumps at the rocker.

good luck.

Well, I have ended up ordering one from ClassicGarage. I guess we'll see if its the right one. I would have just got the diaphragm, but i know that my casting is pretty warped, which causes me oil leaks, so I decided to start over. I will let Ratsun know if the pump is the correct one.

• 2 weeks later...

I received an NOS fuel pump from ClassicGarage. It was the correct part number and everything, but the other of the two brands that were used on my truck. Kyosan rather than Showa I mean to say. It all looked good, so I installed it and starter her up. Ran great for about 4 minutes and then the diaphragm failed and I had gas spewing out everywhere. Not cool. :angry: I am wondering if the fact that it has been sitting on a shelf for 40 years is the reason for the failure. If so, I would assume I would have that with a replacement diaphragm if I could find one. I will have to wait until Monday to see how Classic Garage treats me on this. I am hoping for either a new pump, or a full reimbursement.

How much is a diaphram? (It may be prudent for me order an extra in case my pump fails and needs to be rebuilt.)

Thanks,

Keith

I am still waiting to hear back from my contact. I have inquired what kind of shape these diaphragms are it as well since they are most likely NOS. I don't want to order a couple of them only to have them tear as well. I will let you know when I get a reply.

Zed, the diaphragms are $5.50 each plus shipping from Singapore.

I got the new pump and have it installed and working. But I am worried. I am about 95% sure that when the first pump failed that gas got into the crank case through a poorly installed seal inside the pump. I have fixed the problem, but now I should probably change the oil too. Any harm in running it until it gets warmed up to drain the old oil?

Well I drained the crank case, but didn't change the filter. Put in 3 quarts new oil and then drove for about 15 miles. Drained it again and changed the filter and put in new oil. The oil that had only been in there for 15 miles was already pretty dirty, and there was some sludge on the oil cap. Do I need to worry about the sludge? I don't think my J13 has a PCV. If it does I don't know about it. Any way, I hope I am good to go. Warn me if I ain't!