Z24 Turbo????

84Datsun720

I have a Z24 and wanted to add a small Turbo, but I can not find any out there that are made for this engine. I really dont want to do a complete engine swap because my engine just has 92,000 and I have had it since 78,000 and it is running great. Does anyone know where i could find a turbo or a kit for my z24

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You would have to build or have a custom turbo manifold made for it. A KA24E has similar exhaust port shape and placement on it. If there is a KA24E turbo manifold maybe it could be modified?

I kinda expected that about the manifold, but I did not know that the KA24E might fit if one exists, might give me a starting spot...Thank you

I kinda expected that about the manifold, but I did not know that the KA24E might fit if one exists, might give me a starting spot...Thank you

I may still just make myself a custom manifold, I have access to a 1.8T VW turbo, its small, but Im looking for just a small upgrade in power, will use the vacuum most of the time to suck better gas mileage and just use the power to play some.

It will bolt on for sure... but the ports are different shape. I ran Z24 headers on my KA for a while with no issues.

• 2 weeks later...

it will slow down flow, just take a gasket or paper template from your head and transfer to the exhaust manifold, then grind material off until both are the same...

what are you going to do about fuel delivery, blow through carb. or draw through, or fuel injection?

DSCF2153.jpg

On a suck through probably. Say 7-8 pounds would be about 50% more air so 50% more gas. You do not want the carb to run out and go lean on a turbo.

On a blow through, the carb is pressurized and this means the stock pump has to push with 3 PSI against a force of 7-8 PSI so you can see there will be a problem here. You would need a pump with a higher output pressure and a regulator that increases the pressure so you always have a pressure differential of about 3 PSI above what ever the manifold is.

On a suck through probably. Say 7-8 pounds would be about 50% more air so 50% more gas. You do not want the carb to run out and go lean on a turbo.

On a blow through, the carb is pressurized and this means the stock pump has to push with 3 PSI against a force of 7-8 PSI so you can see there will be a problem here. You would need a pump with a higher output pressure and a regulator that increases the pressure so you always have a pressure differential of about 3 PSI above what ever the manifold is.

So if I did a suck through, how would I increase the fuel...larger fuel pump or what? I wanted to use the turbo more for the vacuum during normal driving and use the power only occasionally.

So if I did a suck through, how would I increase the fuel...larger fuel pump or what? I wanted to use the turbo more for the vacuum during normal driving and use the power only occasionally.

:lol: Yeah, like that ever happens. :lol:

Seriously that stock one will probably be fine for 7-8 PSI. More boost than that and you really should start thinking about forged pistons. I know, I know,... someone has a friend who boosts to 12 all the time and they are fine. Yes they can take a quick punch to 12 or more but this overheats them and detonation is inevitable... the hyper-eutectic stock pistons are hard and brittle as glass and won't survive that in the long run.

:lol: Yeah, like that ever happens. :lol:

Seriously that stock one will probably be fine for 7-8 PSI. More boost than that and you really should start thinking about forged pistons. I know, I know,... someone has a friend who boosts to 12 all the time and they are fine. Yes they can take a quick punch to 12 or more but this overheats them and detonation is inevitable... the hyper-eutectic stock pistons are hard and brittle as glass and won't survive that in the long run.

Thank you so much for your help, I really think I am going to turbo it, I will definitely post up pics and create a build post.

I think it an excellent idea. There are several things that make the Z series a good candidate for a turbo.

Cross flow head... exhaust ports are not near the intake ports so they stay cooler.

Dual plugs... shorter burn time so less advance needed. Hot gasses inside the combustion chamber for a shorter time less heat absorbed.

Rods are thicker/stronger than the KA motor. Will handle more power.

Main bearings are much larger/wider than the KA motor. Will handle more power.

2.4 liters so will make more power for the same boost as a smaller displacement motor.

The Z24 head has larger intake ports than the earlier Z20/22 head.

• 1 year later...

The single cam KA exaust manifold bolts right up but the KA port holes are round and the Z ports are squared, you can easily match port a KA manifold so the ports match up to the Z head.

The easiest way to go is to do a draw thru system and you can use a variety of carbs for draw thru, but you'll be limited on how much boost you can run... about 5 to 7 psi... no problem, but after that it's tricky to keep your AFR good for everyday driving and while under boost.

The better way to do it is with a blow thru system using a Holley 350 2 barrel, You'll need to get a fuel pump that can push more psi than the amount of boost you're running and you'll need a boost sensative fuel pressure regulator set to the carb's needs at no boost and set it to add 1 psi per pound of boost to the base pressure as the boost comes up... This will always keep the fuel in the bowl 3 to 5 psi above the boost pressure as the boost goes up. This page will show how to set up a HOLLEY carb for running under boost http://www.hangar18fabrication.com/blowthru.html by keeping the jetting in the normal range for normal driving and using the power valve circuit to enrich the mixture as the boost comes up. The page I posted pertains to a 4 barrel Holley, but with the 2 barrel, the mods are exactly the same. There are other articles out there to show how to make a boost sensative power valve as well so there are plenty of reliable and effective ways to set a Holley carb to add the right amount of fuel under boost without killing the gas milage for normal driving. You'll also need to use the nitrophyl floats in the carb because the boost pressure will crush the brass ones. Other carbs you can run blow thru will need other mods to keep the air fuel ratio correct both under normal driving and under boost, but i've seen Harley carbs work really well without modifying them on smaller engines like the Suzuki 1.3 that's in the Swift and the Samurai, but you'd need to run dual Harley carbs (Keihin CV40) for a 2.4 liter engine to feed it properly. the Harley carbs just need the fuel pressure to be 1 psi above the boost pressure, and the bowl vent is at the intake side of the carb to pressurize the bowl and raise the amount of fuel delivered according to the boost pressure, it's that easy (properly jetted under no boost ) with these carbs. The Weber side draft and down draft carbs have been used successfully as well as the Edelbrock/Carter 4 barrel carbs, but I know Holley and Harley best.

Now the easy way out is EFI... (also the best way, but blow thru can be just as accurate if you know how to set up the carbs) like getting a system off a Z20E and megasquirting it or having a factory ECU programmed to run under boost. Basically, with EFI, you can set the fuel curve right on the money regardless of boost pressure or driving conditions if you have a laptop and the right software. It's not uncommon to have a friend drive the car with you in the passenger's seat setting up the fuel curves on a Megasquirt... It can be made that easy to deal with.

You'll also need to upgrade your exhaust system as well... back pressure on a turbo setup is a huge no no now that you have 50 to 75% more (or a lot more depending on boost) exhaust coming out of the engine and it needs to go somewhere... For low boost (under 8 psi), you can get away with a 2 1/4" system along with a very non restrictive muffler. A glass pack will work, but not the ones with the louvers sticking into the stream, or you can use a magnaflow or cherry bomb.

I'm currently working on a turbo setup for my Z24 powered 720 4x4 and my setup so far consists of a T3/T4 hybred turbo, a KA turbo manifold (240sx top mount) that's been ported to match the Z exhaust ports, a Holley 350 2 barrel carb with the power circuit modified (from the Hangar 18 website), a front mount intercooler that I'm still trying to figure out how to conceal behind/under the front bumper, an external wastegate with a 4 psi spring installed (for now), a blow off valve, and I ran a full 2 1/2" exhaust system using a Cherry Bomb Vortex single inlet/dual outlet muffler so I'll have dual tailpipes (mainly for looks). I chose the Cherry Bomb Vortex because it's a straight thru design with no restrictions, and splitting it off into 2 outlets will also help reduce back pressure and let the rest of the system run cooler. for fuel delivery I'll be using a Ford EFI fuel pump and a boost sensative pressure rgulator to keep the fuel pressure a constant 4 psi above the boost pressure, running this pump at low pressure vai a return line and the regulator will also help keep this pump alive for a long time. The stock distributer will work by locking out the total advance, but I'll most likely get a MSD6 BTM to keep the timing from running too high under boost.

I've probably missed a few things in my grocery list, but that's the basics you'll need to get started... Options are to make your own manifold, bigger or smaller turbo (depending on how you want your engine to perform), converting to EFI or sticking with a carb, and whether or not to use an intercooler... it's not really needed in a blow thru but it will help, you can NOT intercool a draw thru setup, and with EFI, run one if you can.

Here's some stuff you'll need to own or have access to in order for your build to go as smooth as possible...

Lots of garage space

All the basic hand tools (wrenches, sockets, pliers, etc, etc, etc... the more the better)

Air tools... air ratchet, impact wrench, die grinders, etc, etc

Welding equipment (mig/Tig preferred)

Plasma cutter (Not mandatory, but VERY nice to have)

A metal cutting chop saw for the exhaust system fab work and for the turbo/intercooler piping

A band saw (optional) same function as the chop saw, also great for cutting smaller parts if needed.

A die grinder and a compressor that can keep up with it

Carbide rotary files for match porting

Sanding rolls for porting the aluminum stuff

LOTS of shop rags

This is just a small list of stuff to have that helps BIG Time, if you are lacking stuff from the list it won't kill your build, but it will take much longer. Most people jump into these projects without the tools needed and end up not finishing or taking much longer than planned, a turbo build can't be done in a weekend, but can be done in a few weekends so plan for it and don't take your daily driver apart friday night if you need it monday morning... have some backup transportation Before you start just in case Mr. Murphy pays you a visit to enforce his law...

Hope this helps get ya started....

• 1 year later...

i have an 84 720 z24, i had my manifold made for a ka24e and mounted it straight on with a little port matching..

With that being said i am running a custom built e85 weber blow through carb, with 900+hp capable forged rods and pistons, forged billet crank, and a slightly bigger cam. I turn out around 22-25psi and do just fine when the tires dont spin. mine is pretty much all motor, what i mean is the truck is kind of rough looking on the exterior. (miniature farm truck)

• Like 1
  • 7 years later...

I have a question that’s along the lines of this post. Maybe several questions. My 720 also has the z24. It runs great, maybe leaks a bit of oil around the valve cover, but I have a gasket to replace it soon. My truck is what it is, it ain’t no race car, but it bugs the crap out of me when I get passed over by a Honda Fit, or Chevy Spark. If I could I would put in a stronger engine in. However, not only am I not mechanically knowledgeable, but it seems like almost anything I would try to put in will require lots of work and a lot of money. I’ve looked into putting a ka24e, but there aren’t any around my area for a good price. Seems like everyone’s doing swaps nowadays that all engines are expensive. Besides, I don’t mind my z24. They’re simple enough that someone like me could do some work on it without requiring a masters in space technology. My question is, could I do a simple turbo setup? There’s a machine shop next to where I work and they can rebuild my engine for about $1200 bucks. Would it be better to go that route? Invest my money in the engine I already have and just do a simple turbo build? I’m only looking into gaining maybe 20-40 hp?  Something that would help my truck leave a stoplight faster without getting passed by a Prius. I don’t think the turbo would need to make more than 4-7 psi? I’m researching as much as I can but it seems like everyone is only interested in making hundreds of hp. I just want a faster daily lol

It takes time and revs to bring on the boost and though 7.5 PSI, theoretically 1/2 bar should give you 50% hp increase, the Z24 only makes about 105-110 hp to begin with. That 160 hp will only happen at the top of every gear.  Yes it will get there quicker though. A turbo will shorten up the engine life also

So I’m basically stuck with what I got….. If I were already going to pay someone to rebuild my engine, might as well pay someone who knows what they’re doing to swap an engine into my truck. Like I said, engines are getting expensive and are more than likely going to require some fab work. I have a 98 gt mustang that is perfectly fine, but I don’t drive bc my 720 is my dream vehicle. I was thinking of swapping all of that into it. However I figured it’d be too big and complicated, that it would cost me an arm and leg. What engine would ya’ll recommend swapping into the 720, that would probably be easier than others? Something from the 2000’s or newer? And would my best route be to buy a whole vehicle that runs and swap what’s in one, to the other?

The more I think about it, the more I research, the more I’m convinced that, unless I can do it myself or have tons of money, I should just leave it alone lol I think that’s why I would rather have my engine rebuilt, and turboed. Or at the very least, find another z24 and rebuild it and turbo it. I have found several around my area. It would probably be cheaper. Especially if I do a blowthrough turbo setup?