Restoring Front Suspension

rhabdo71

Hey Guys,

I'm about to restore the front suspension on my 71' 521 Truck. There are alot of different terminology for the front tie rods, radius rod, center links, stabilisar bar bushings, etc, etc.... Can any one help me out on what I NEED to restore the front/rear suspension. I'm looking to do basic stock parts (Rock Auto.com,etc..) and NOT any racing type parts. Redone front brake system and did ALOT of cleaning! Here are some pics of the front and rear suspension. Thanks.

71Datsun046.jpg

71Datsun047.jpg

71Datsun048.jpg

71Datsun049.jpg

71Datsun060.jpg

71Datsun061.jpg

71Datsun066.jpg

71Datsun071.jpg

71Datsun072.jpg

71Datsun038.jpg

71Datsun035.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:)Thanks for following. I think I read your thread regarding your red 521 truck that had a nice looking engine bay? Also a van FULL of GOODIES from RockAuto. I'm not sure if that's you but if it is "Nice Truck"!:D I still have alot of work ahead of me and already dropped $1000k into my truck and it just keeps on adding up if you know what I mean! Lot's of FUN.

NismoDR and Chico Nissan?

I had the Honda full of Rock Auto stuff. The red 521 is somebody else'. Nismo Dr is one of many amazingly knowledgeable members here. He helped me out with part numbers, a lot. Chad works at Chico Nissan Hyundai and is very helpful with part numbers and Chico Nissan sells OEM stuff at a good rate (compared to the stealerships down where I live). Chad is on here, I just don't remember his RATSUN call sign.

I've budgeted $6k for the white truck and $4k for the green truck. If I make a third truck from the leftovers it will be a low budget truck.

:DFlatCat19, thanks ALOT for CarPartsManual.com. It really comes in handy. The Haynes Manual I have doesn't really show detailed pics like the website. I do have to admit I am an amatuer mechanic and doing everything on my own. Thanks for responding to the thread!

:DFlatCat19, thanks ALOT for CarPartsManual.com. It really comes in handy. The Haynes Manual I have doesn't really show detailed pics like the website. I do have to admit I am an amatuer mechanic and doing everything on my own. Thanks for responding to the thread!

I like to joke and goof around alot.

But if I see someone trying, and getting it done-I am more than happy to help someone out.

Especially if it means another 521 on the road.

Now if I could just get mine back out there too.:thumbup:

It's a lot of shit to leaf through, but we found numerous bushings still available on nissanparts.cc based on the part numbers listed on this PDF of the original parts catalog. Some of the numbers have been superceded, but they still register and automatically come up with the updated part number on nissanparts.

DatWifey,

Thanks, Nissanparts.cc had everything I asked for so far. I ordered a large list of items. Going to call on Monday morning to make sure they do have everything I ordered online. Thanks again.

Hopefully they have it all. They often have stuff come up on the site, but then cancel it once they go to process the order and don't have it in stock. But, I do know that just as of a few months ago they still had many of the bushings and such for it, because we upgraded a ton of ours. Good luck, hope it all comes through!

Hopefully they have it all. They often have stuff come up on the site, but then cancel it once they go to process the order and don't have it in stock. But, I do know that just as of a few months ago they still had many of the bushings and such for it, because we upgraded a ton of ours. Good luck, hope it all comes through!

Someone needs to put that parts list up for the rest of us 521 owners.

:poke:

B)

If I can find the paperwork that my husband wrote down all of the superseded (and in stock) numbers, I'll try to remember to put it up at some point. He really did just go off of that PDF that I linked to in my initial post on here, and then plugged the numbers in one by one on the site, but I guess I can post some up that were still available.

If I can find the paperwork that my husband wrote down all of the superseded (and in stock) numbers, I'll try to remember to put it up at some point. He really did just go off of that PDF that I linked to in my initial post on here, and then plugged the numbers in one by one on the site, but I guess I can post some up that were still available.

I'm just giving you crap.

I have the parts book, but am too lazy to go through it myself.

:P

I'm sure you know there is a 521 parts thread.

Any more info there is always awesome.

DatWifey,

Your right. Out of the 9 items I ordered ONLY 3 items were available at "NissanParts.cc". Glad I called Monday morning!

Available Part No.

16160-A3510 Spring-Throttle $1.23

26320-14800 Relay Horn $9.22

56112-W5000 Bushing-Shock (Stabiliser Bar End Link Bushings) $2.62 ea (x8) = $20.96

Two other items; ignition switch and fuse box I went to NewDatsunParts.com. They are pricy but have " NOS" parts. You can never go wrong with Nissan parts. Still looking for ALL bushings for the rear suspension having trouble. Can anyone HELP!

Still looking for ALL bushings for the rear suspension having trouble. Can anyone HELP!

This is clearly a Front Suspension thread - no switching halfway along, dammit! :P And I can't help much. Did you find the threads that discuss the Energy Suspension part for the leaf spring bushes? Like this thread says the Energy Suspension part 2.2107g fits the 521. But I'm not clear on what all comes with that bushing set.

Now... back to restoring 521 front suspension. My steering linkage has bigtime play and clunking - I'm starting there. Ordered L/R tie rods, cross rod, and idler arm from Rockauto. Also ordered sway bar (stabilizer bar) urethane bushing set from eBay (Prothane equiv to 56112-09400, 8 of them). Will definitely need shocks front/rear, but one CC bill at a time..

I notice a discrepancy in how the carpartsmanual link above shows assembly order for the sway bar bushings versus how yours/mine is actually assembled.

Yours/my sway bar bushing/washer set is installed like this with a washer just above the bar, bushing underneath directly contacting sway bar:

d7e398be.jpg

But this manual pic shows no washer above, shows washer below the bar. Also has a typo re: part numbers (says 115, actually a 119). Anyone else encounter this? Which is right?

c9487842.jpg

I would go with the manual, as these trucks are so old now, you are lucky that it has the parts there, let alone what order they were installed. Someone forgot the order, but I doubt it caused any serious damage. :lol: :lol: :lol: You need to check the kingpins, as they will cause some, "clunking" as you called it.

Don't run that metal washer against your metal sway bar.

Do not do it.

Why not? If I recall correctly, it's designed with a ridge that sits in the swaybar.

Ours came off the truck as the two others posted before did, but we put it back together according to the manual that I referenced earlier.

Before:

2.jpg

Current:

IMG_4796.jpg

I'd be interested to see a photo of how yours is set up, Flatcat. :huh: