quick oil pump question

.sunlover

oil pump is leaking at the pump gasket, not the mounting gasket, should I replace the gasket or just do the pump. It's a 2000 mile fresh rebuild, can't remember, but i'd guess I didn't replace the pump on the otherwise very complete rebuild.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The L pumps are very good pumps. They really don't go bad unless they have had a ton of metal through them. If it's in good shape just put some fresh gaskets on it and call it good. If you feel the need for some extra pressure, I think the KA and the 280ZX AUTOMATIC pumps were higher pressure and a direct bolt on.

I think this info is correct. I can't remember if the 280 pump was year specific or not. Can someone help me verify that?

• Like 1

So...the gasket within the pump itself?

Shouldn't be leaking unless it's been taken apart before.

That gasket is very thin...and specific to that section of the pump, too thick and would change oil PSI?

You can check the clearances in the pump when apart, tell you if it's worn and ready to replace.

If replacing I would get a used KA (low miles) or a new Beck Arnley....which I just bought

'80-'83 280zx turbo automatics

Any KA24E (not DE) RWD motor as in a 240sx or D-21 Hardbody.

All Z24i TBI Throttle Body Injection motor

The '80-'82 Maxima LD28 Diesel motor.

Stock pump can also be shimmed with a washer to increase running OP

Thin washer inside....where the screwdriver is pointing

P1010057-2.jpg

• Like 1

The L pumps are very good pumps. They really don't go bad unless they have had a ton of metal through them. If it's in good shape just put some fresh gaskets on it and call it good. If you feel the need for some extra pressure, I think the KA and the 280ZX AUTOMATIC pumps were higher pressure and a direct bolt on.

I think this info is correct. I can't remember if the 280 pump was year specific or not. Can someone help me verify that?

Good stuff but they aren't really higher pressure, they are higher volume. They have the same pressure relief spring rate for about 50 PSI or so. The advantage is that more volume will give better pressure at low speeds. Sounds contradictory but it does. At all times the mains and rods, the cam and oil squirters for the chain have oil flowing into, through, and out of like a giant leak. At low RPMs such as idle, the motor can only supply a small amount of oil and the 'leak' is so much that the actual pressure can only build to about 35 PSI. If the pump were to be larger the excess volume would back up and increase the pressure.

So, on my tired old 300,000Km L20B the idle oil pressure with worn bearings when warmed up was 17 PSI. Normal running was still 45-50 but warm idle was 17. I installed a KA pump and the same warm idle jumped to 29 PSI. That's a lot of extra peace of mind when idling around in traffic or off road crawling.

If you look closely you can see that the internal rotors on the KA pump are longer, about 14% longer. You cannot tell from the outside if a pump is a high volume unit or not. It has to be removed. You don't have to take apart but you do have to look down into the inlet port of the pump. The taller rotor is much easier to see on a high volume pump than the other style. The inlet hole is the pear shaped one in the picture.

IMG_0186.jpg

Regular volume oil pump. Rotors are down inside with the tops barely visible.

EIdizzyandhivoloilpump008Large.jpg

High volume oil pump. Rotor top edge is plainly visible to the eye.

EIdizzyandhivoloilpump009Large.jpg

All

D-21 Hardbody Z24i, KA24E, and KA24DE motors have them.

S13 240sx KA24Es (only) have them.

280zx turbo automatics w/ oil coolers had them.

Maxima diesels had them

720 Z24i motors did not.

The Hardbody motors are in the wrecking yards by the tens of thousands so get one. Even a used one will totally out flow a brand new L series pump, no problem. Offer the guy $10 for it and if he gets pissy about the price ask him if it seizes your motor is he going to replace it? That should get the price down.

• Like 1

Hey Datzen Mike, I just looked up my parts database CD that one of my suppliers gives me (Precision Engine Parts).

They list the;

KA24E as having a Mellings #152 oil pump

KA24DE as having Mellings #4592 oil pump

Z24 as having Mellings #111 oil pump

any idea as to which one is the most ideal for a direct replacement, higher volume oil pump, than that of a standard L series?

Hey Datzen Mike, I just looked up my parts database CD that one of my suppliers gives me (Precision Engine Parts).

They list the;

KA24E as having a Mellings #152 oil pump

KA24DE as having Mellings #4592 oil pump

Z24 as having Mellings #111 oil pump

any idea as to which one is the most ideal for a direct replacement, higher volume oil pump, than that of a standard L series?

Door No 1

......as stated above in thread... :D

Any KA24E (not DE) RWD motor as in a 240sx or D-21 Hardbody....

No KA24DE or Z24, Z22

Rockauto...

BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0280352

QUOTE from Datzen Mike's post

All

But they're different part numbers.

On the database CD, there is a photo of the Z24 #111 & it looks similar , but they don't have a photo of the others.

QUOTE from Datzen Mike's post

All

But they're different part numbers.

On the database CD, there is a photo of the Z24 #111 & it looks similar , but they don't have a photo of the others.

I also said:

You cannot tell from the outside if a pump is a high volume unit or not. It has to be removed. You don't have to take apart but you do have to look down into the inlet port of the pump. The taller rotor is much easier to see on a high volume pump than the other style. The inlet hole is the pear shaped one in the picture.

IMG_0186.jpg

Regular volume oil pump. Rotors are down inside with the tops barely visible.

EIdizzyandhivoloilpump008Large.jpg

High volume oil pump. Rotor top edge is plainly visible to the eye.

Resized to 84% (was 800 x 600) - Click image to enlargeEIdizzyandhivoloilpump009Large.jpg

Yeah in Oz you still had L series motors in trucks where we got Z and KA motors.

Here is a KA24DE from a '99 Fronteer and it has the high output oil pump on it...

motorKA24DE1999frontier3.jpg

Notice how it looks just like an L series oil pump, even one from a '68 510???

Pocket rocket, I don't know what the trucks are down there. If you order a North American S13 (240sx) with the KA24E motor you will get the correct pump.

97-99 D21 Navara (pick-up truck) had a KA24E

97 onwards D22 Navara (pick-up truck) had KA24E

89-92 Pintara (sedan & wagon) had KA24E

97-99 Terrano R20 (I think is a van????) had a KA24E

86-92 D21 Navara (pick-up truck) had a Z24

86-92 Nomad (don't know what they are) had a Z24

86-92 Pathfinder (like a 4wd version of the Navara but as a wagon) had a Z24

87-93 Urvan (little 8 seater people mover bus style van) had a Z24

I know you said you can't tell from the outside, hence the reason why I didn't just go & buy one.

I mentioned that it (Z24 pump) looked similar because at least that is a start. If it looked completely different, good chance it aint going to fit

Thanks mate.

I just talked with the parts supplier. They said the Z24 (Mellings #111) is the high volume version, they looked back through some of their sales history & have supplied them before to a couple of guys that race "historic" class circuit racing 510s.

Thanks for the help.

Melling # : M111

SHORT NOTES

Application Notes : EXC. 720

Cross-ReferenceApplication

Make Model Year Engine

NISSAN/DATSUN 280ZX 1981 6Cyl 2753CC OHC

NISSAN/DATSUN 280ZX 1982 6Cyl 2753CC OHC

NISSAN/DATSUN 280ZX 1983 6Cyl 2753CC OHC

NISSAN/DATSUN D21 1986 4Cyl 2389CC OHC

NISSAN/DATSUN D21 1987 4Cyl 2389CC OHC

NISSAN/DATSUN D21 1988 4Cyl 2389CC OHC

NISSAN/DATSUN D21 1989 4Cyl 2389CC OHC

NISSAN/DATSUN Pathfinder 1987 4Cyl 2389CC OHC

NISSAN/DATSUN Van 1987 4Cyl 2389CC OHC

NISSAN/DATSUN Van 1988 4Cyl 2389CC OHC

• 4 years later...

No it won't shut of faster.

Yes it pumps more oil per turn but the max pressure is about the same. What this will do is raise the oil pressure at idle and off idle where the pumps can't supply enough oil to replace what's bleeding out past the bearings. My tired L20B hot idle pressure was 17 PSI. With a KA pump and no other change it rose to 29 PSI. It still maxed at around 55.

Now if your old pump is worn a different pump may help shut the light off sooner.

What weight of oil are you using? I wouldn't run anything with a 10 in it. I run 15W40 Shell Rotella T.