Wood hauling time!

HRH

You know it's hitting fall when you need to go get wood. Since I finally installed a wood stove in the garage, today was the day to go get wood at mom and dad's. So dad and I went down into the bottom land and cut down one dead tree and then drug up another tree that was already downed. I chopped an entire tree and a half myself, which is loaded up into the hardbody, and then started on the other one, got about halfway through that before I called it quits. Haven't split wood in a while. Did okay, but I'm sore and tired now, as I just texted Father Wild, who graciously offered to give me a neck massage.

Since he was too busy fapping in the bushes to make good on said massage I'm going to have to down some advil, and eat my graham crackers and milk while watching Blazing Saddles. Didn't weigh the truck, but figure I have around 700-800 pounds of wood in the back. Whee! Handled it like a champ too. Of course, no one would be surprised by that on this forum! ;)

Oh, and there's nothing quite like riding in the bucket of the tractor for ballast while dad's doing wheel stands because we had a heavy shit log on the chain! Wish I could have gotten some pictures of that, would have been good enough for adventures. :D

wood1.jpg

wood2.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fir.....4 blocks already in truck.

P9070029.jpg

The largest weighed in at 220lbs x 10 with some smaller pieces to finish the load.......fuck'n heavy. :D

P9070030.jpg

Be careful out there guys....in the bush.

Dropped a tree yesterday and just as I was finishing the cut, the wind caught it and it went the other way... :frantics:

Freaked me out...too close for comfort.

Got home....checked the 'local' news later, and I guy (where I use to live) was killed earlier in the day, doing the same thing.

Another guy last week.

Yeah, seriously. We didn't have any wind yesterday, being a more inland mountainous area. Had to drop the first tree which wasn't that big in diameter, but it caught between the uprights with two other trees. Dad actually cut four sections off the bottom to get it to drop enough where we could get the chain on it and pull it with the tractor. We're both pretty careful, but definitely can't let your guard down for a second when logging.

The big tree that we hauled up was about the same size as those rounds in your 720, just maybe 2, 3 in smaller diameter. Looks like you got some nice dense firewood!

Douglas Fir or Birch is the best, which is the heaviest

Hardwood burns longer with more coals left in the fire

Whereas the Spruce and Pine are secondary...burns quicker, less BTUs

Tractor????

Should be using the truck???? :D

Thought I split mine in 2 a few times trying to drag :lol: those large fir out.

Have a lot of dead trees from beetle (Pine) kill....so...when you're dropping a tree you have to also worry about the other trees it hits.

Flying 'wooden' shrapnel.... :D

Going for another load tomorrow

Can't get a truck down into the bottom land without scratching the shit out of it, plus the tractor turns around easier and has more torque. We have pulled trees up onto the main road with dad's Dodge diesel, but there's just a atv size track going down where we were.

1971 B6000 diesel Kubota 4x4 always gets the job done. Hi/Lo range 3 speed with 13 hp diesel 2 cylinder. Even has a diff lock for the rear. Been through a few rollovers, grandpa driving it down a cliff, and countless hours of abuse. Love that thing.

Finally got it all unloaded and down in the basement since I don't have room in the garage and living in town I'm not going to store it outside. People would probably try and run off with it. Doesn't look like all that much downstairs, but my legs are tired from the many many trips up and down the basement stairs! ;)

wood3.jpg

"...grandpa driving it down a cliff"....... :lol:

How not to fell a tree....idiot... :D

Looks like you have about a cord there...128 cubic feet...give or take :D

That looks more like a face cord. As you stated a cord is 128 cubic feet. It stacks up as 4' x 4' x 8'. Depending on the length of the logs, it should be 3 logs deep, and 4' high and 8' long.

Firewood has gotten expensive around here. To get a real full cord of seasoned hardwood, delivered and stacked it is about $250-$300. Alot of the guys selling wood try to sell you a face cord which is only 1 log deep by 4' x 8'.

Most people don't know the difference.

I have about 3 cords of seasoned oak from a tree that fell in my yard last year. I am about to have 2 more oak trees taken down as they are mostly dead. It will get me about 5 more cords of wood. I need to go rent a splitter. Too old to be splitting it by hand.

Here comes autumn.

"...grandpa driving it down a cliff"....... :lol:

How not to fell (top) a tree....idiot... :D

Looks like you have about a cord there...128 cubic feet...give or take :D

Holy shit, I can't believe that guy had his rope tied into the top half. I'll bet he shit his pants when he got yanked off. Yeah, dad let grandpa move some fill dirt and apparently grandpa got a little too close to the edge and rode it halfway down the cliff. Not a giant cliff, just behind the garage, but probably a 30 degree angle or so. It got stuck upright in the soft stuff, I think. Lucky it didn't roll over on him. Grandpa was too stubborn to realize he didn't have the best reflexes or vision. That was about maybe 5 years before he died.

The tree we were taking down was really tall, but only about 4 or 5 inches across at the top, just grew weird (pine) and so kept having to cut chunks at the bottom, then whack it with a sledge, repeat until it was short enough to yank with the tractor. Not the best way to do it, but not much choice with the spindly little trees around it that it kept hanging up on.

Yeah, not a full cord. Could have put more in easily, dad wanted me to, but I declined since it's only for the garage stove when I'm out there in winter. This should last me just fine. Worst case I have to go get some more wood in winter. I doubt it though. Need to extend my stovepipe, not quite tall enough, looks like the garage is on fire from the street and it's also more of a fumigation plume right now. I'll get another 3' section and put that in today if I have time.

Couple of years ago...I fired up the stove and got it roaring, left the door slighting open to create a better draft.

Figured I'd take a 'safety meeting'...well...needless to say I forgot about the fire :blink: ... :D

Damn internet.....Ratsun etc... :)

A while later...the neighbor is outside...yelling.."Sir...you have a chimney fire and I've called the fire department"

Fuck...run in there and the stove and insulated pipes are red hot....threw some water on it and called it a nite. :D

3 lengths of that pipe were NFG....good thing they were insulated....close call

Oh...a cord of split wood (non hardwood) here is about 130 bucks delivered

But ....like to do it myself...exercise and all

I put triple wall insulated pipe through the ceiling per the WA code, that stuff is neat. I like to build hot fires, and that plus 2" around the opening makes me feel a whole lot better. A 3 foot section of it was 72 bucks though, talk about pocket book sting.