280zx lug nuts - are they THAT special?

Eddie

LOTS of research all over the place has led to one conclusion.....for Datsun factory mags, in my case '81 280zx Turbo 15x6 "snowflake" wheels, you must use Nissan lugs nuts. I find it hard to believe Nissan invested in special fabrication equipment just to make custom lug nuts. I'll bet they bought them from a handful of vendors specializing in fasteners. This make far more economic sense. I think I found new ones (non-Nissan) that fit, but I want to make sure.

Does anyone have a pair of calipers and a Nissan factory lug nut for an '81 280zx Turbo that fits the "snowflake" rims, that can provide some dimensions? See dimensions on the attached image....

Thanks!

D (shank ∅) = __________?

Dw (washer ∅) = __________?

L1 (shank length from washer face to chamfer) = __________?

L2 (shank length from washer face to end) = __________?

t (washer thickness) = __________?

http://community.ratsun.net/gallery/image/3597-280zx-lug-nut-specsjpg/

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I measured my wheels. Problem with my wheels though, someone used acorn nuts on them and damaged the hole.

So these measurements are max size.

D .73-.735"

L1 doesnt matter.

L2 .56"

The rest doesnt really matter as it is hard to get ones too large.

Thread is m12x1.25

I actually bought these for my 6 spokes. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/16-Factory-OEM-Style-Nissan-Infiniti-Lug-Nuts-Mag-Seat-/110718995350?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ANissan&hash=item19c75dcb96

I had a tight fit, but I think that was due to my messed up wheels. Everything is on and working.

You must use the Nissan lug nuts despite what you think was logical for Nissan to do back in 1979

I have tried new mag lug nuts as well as used mag style lug nuts and none of them were a perfect fit. The Nissan ones fit great. I used to collect them from wrecking yards and sell them for a few bucks each since Nissan charges over $7 ea now. They sold quick and I have none left.

So I measured my wheels. Problem with my wheels though, someone used acorn nuts on them and damaged the hole.

So these measurements are max size.

D .73-.735"

L1 doesnt matter.

L2 .56"

The rest doesnt really matter as it is hard to get ones too large.

Thread is m12x1.25

I actually bought these for my 6 spokes. http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item19c75dcb96

I had a tight fit, but I think that was due to my messed up wheels. Everything is on and working.

Laecaon - thanks for the measurements, but are those of your wheel holes, or the actual 280ZX lug nuts? Oh - and thanks for the ebay link......yeah those are the ones I've seen that look like they will work (18.5mm x 14mm deep). I'd like to solve this mystery of why 280ZX lug nuts are so dimensionally special ONCE AND FOR ALL by getting the actual dimensions of somebody's nuts (ha ha). Are you measuring your hole or your nuts? If hole, does anyone have the right nut they can measure? See the below image link of what to look for...

http://community.rat...g-nut-specsjpg/

• 4 months later...

I realize this is an old thread, but felt I should add something. Nissan was not the only one to use this size shank lug nut. Toyota also used a very similar nut, but it was threaded M12x1.5 instead of Nissan's M12x1.25. This is how you put Nissan wheels on a Toyota or vice versa. Nissan and Toyota still use this style lug nut on some of their wheels. So this lug nut style has been in production for over 20 years. More common than you think, and now finally in the last few years, you can buy them aftermarket. Which is way cheaper.

Brock

I realize this is an old thread, but felt I should add something. Nissan was not the only one to use this size shank lug nut. Toyota also used a very similar nut, but it was threaded M12x1.5 instead of Nissan's M12x1.25. This is how you put Nissan wheels on a Toyota or vice versa. Nissan and Toyota still use this style lug nut on some of their wheels. So this lug nut style has been in production for over 20 years. More common than you think, and now finally in the last few years, you can buy them aftermarket. Which is way cheaper.

Brock

Hence my link, which is probably dead now, but it is advertised as a Toyota lug nut that has been threaded for a Nissan. I came to that conclusion after many forum posts. I now have a set of aftermarket lug nuts that hold very tight to my wheels.

I need the same nuts for my 84 720 ST factory rims. :angry:

Send the seller of Quik's link a message about it. They sell 24 packs of every other lug nut they sell. Also they were nice in my experience, they accidentally forgot 2 lug nuts and shipped them out immediately for no additional charge.

for no damned good reaon I'm gonna throw this in ~ four lug 1960s Falcons and Mustangs have the same lug pattern as a four lug Datsun. I have seen 280Z and 280zx rims on Mustangs but have always wondered what they used for lug nuts....?

Perhaps the ZX lugs? Or maybe a similar shank and shoulder dimension as the ZX but different pitch. I feel better using Nissan lugs. Don't want to pull a MM47.

• 2 weeks later...

for no damned good reaon I'm gonna throw this in ~ four lug 1960s Falcons and Mustangs have the same lug pattern as a four lug Datsun. I have seen 280Z and 280zx rims on Mustangs but have always wondered what they used for lug nuts....?

probibly changed the studs so they can use the nissan lugs

• 7 years later...
1 hour ago, sss1980210s said:

I found a set of 20 on eBay at a decent price.

https://www.ebay.com/c/7023335612

i doubt these will fit early stock zx type wheels 

maybe newer type mags 

but if needed for those and they dont fit its only 20 bucks 

After much searching for specs and answers for the correct "special" lug nuts, here's what I bought and they seem to work well with my 280ZX 6-spoke wheels on my 510.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-x-Chrome-12x1-25-Lug-Nuts-for-Nissan-2009-18-Infiniti-2007-18-40224-JK00A/123062690327?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

48685552873_9c20fb76cc_z.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2012 at 5:50 PM, a.d._510_n_ok said:

In the 1960's most Japanese cars used Ford wheel specs due to popularity of Ford products and good dealer presence pre-war.  Only Toyota to my recollection used non Ford stud spacings.

Edited by MikeRL411
clarification

Thread size is the same but the ZX mag wheel lugs have a very different outside spec. The shoulder diameter and length are critical to get the wheels to be held by the lug washer on the flat surface of the wheel lug hole and not wobble.

You can test fit the lugs by putting one in the hole - it should be an almost exact fit to the hole with no wobble and pushed all the way in so the washer seats on the wheel. The end of the nut should not protrude beyond the mounting surface of the wheel. My lug nuts had 10 threads of engagement.

Buy one, test fit, then if okay buy a set of 16.

I have S110 aluminum mag rims and the special 40224-R4670 shoulder nuts with washers and these are used on S30 first gen Z car, 280zx, 300zx through Aug '85, B-210, 210, 310, F10, A10, (HL510) S10, (200sx) S110, (200sx) 810, Maxima, 720 truck, Pulsar NX... anything that had a factory aluminum 'mag' road wheel option used them. 

I got a complete set from an '81? zx with the mags shown in the picture above and... I can't find them, but I have them, somewhere. They look identical to the ones on my S110 mags and this is why I got them. I'll have a look around tomorrow for them. So.... not that special I would think.

On 3/1/2012 at 5:50 PM, a.d._510_n_ok said:

The GM Corvair steel rims fit the 510 too.