1978 620 King Cab 4X4

]2eDeYe

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Every time I see you post video's of this truck, it makes me want to build mine into a wheeler.

that's sweet Steve.!!

I'm right there with you Jester. this truck rules.!!

giphy.gif

That aught to do the job.

Yep :cool: 

Thanks guys 

• Like 1

If you'r talking at  me you better hurry. I'm getting ready to retire ........ Building a new ( small ) Shop at home and selling the business.....

I will then , finally, have the time to actually use some of the stuff I'v built......

• Like 2

If you'r talking at  me you better hurry. I'm getting ready to retire ........ Building a new ( small ) Shop at home and selling the business.....

I will then , finally, have the time to actually use some of the stuff I'v built......

You are too youg to retire!!!  I'm 66, and can't afford to retire. :crying:

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally getting around to modifying the 720 steering column to position the wheel correctly. Taking a little longer than expected :P

First I got a wheel ready.

IMG_3589.jpg

IMG_3590.jpg

After that I hacked up a 620 column. I'm going for a stock looking interior, the 620 blinker assy clamp is much larger than the 720 column so I am sleeving a section of the 620 column over the 720 column.

IMG_3608.jpg

I plan to replicate that rubber firewall plug in steel.

IMG_3609.jpg

Sleeved on with the important bits attached. I need to cut off the firewall plate and prep for the new one. Then I can locate everything in the truck and tack the tubes together.

IMG_3611.jpg

I also have to address the trail fix at the other end that I have been driving on for over a year. It's that mess on the right. :lol:

47e98b0f-582f-4574-95d7-60afc1f1dd66.jpg

I put together a u-joint out of the 2 splined ends of the 2 rag joints. Turns out I can get one of these off of an 80-83 yota truck so I will be keeping an eye out for a spare.

Disassembled

IMG_3614.jpg

Assembly

IMG_3607.jpg

Assembled

IMG_3624.jpg

Picked up some Datsun 616 Spring Green and it looks like a perfect match. Now I can start some rust repair and not look like Patches.

IMG_36231.jpg

and finally, I sourced new bearings for my transfer case adapter.

I went to Applied Industrial in Everett, I actually deal with them quite a bit through work. They had the one I thought would be hard to find in stock and ordered the one I found for $60 online. I paid less than that for both and picked up the ordered one the next day :cool:

IMG_3633.jpg

Time to get back to work. :)

• Like 5

Got some more done today.

IMG_3635.jpg

IMG_3636.jpg

All the column housing parts ready to get welded together. .

IMG_3638.jpg

Been working on this too. I need to remove a switch hole so I can add some mounting holes or figure out a trick way to retain the panel.

IMG_3634.jpg

• Like 3

Looks great Redeye!  As far as mounting the switch panel if you make it out of sheet metal take a stud gun for body work and use it to spot weld some small headless machine screws to the back side of the switch panel.

Here is a link for the harbor Freight stud gun.

http://www.harborfreight.com/stud-welder-dent-repair-kit-98357.html

• Like 1

Thats a good idea, was hoping to make it from plastic though.

Got the column all done. The 80 720 column was really modular, bolted right back in with the wheel in the stock position.

Housing parts together.

IMG_3639.jpg

A bit of paint after welding

IMG_3643.jpg

Mounted.

IMG_3647.jpg

Almost there

IMG_3641.jpg

Under the hood.

IMG_3654.jpg

IMG_3655.jpg

All wrapped up for now. I actually have a steering wheel cover, but i need to get some foam to thicken it up.

IMG_3657.jpg

• Like 7

Thats a good idea, was hoping to make it from plastic though. 

Got the column all done. The 80 720 column was really modular, bolted right back in with the wheel in the stock position. 

Housing parts together. 

IMG_3639.jpg

A bit of paint after welding

IMG_3643.jpg

Mounted.

IMG_3647.jpg

Almost there

IMG_3641.jpg

Under the hood. 

IMG_3654.jpg

IMG_3655.jpg

All wrapped up for now. I actually have a steering wheel cover, but i need to get some foam to thicken it up. 

IMG_3657.jpg

NICE!

• Like 2

Thanks guys. So much nicer inside having the column surround and a decent steering wheel. A few more things like that console panel and it will be comfortable as well as pleasing to the eye. 

Next big thing though, is to replace those bearings in the t-case adapter. Should be a pretty straight forward operation after all the fab work I've been doing. :lol:

I'm also getting a bit of chatter letting the clutch out from time to time, so I am gonna order a white bunny clutch setup for this one. Might as well upgrade while I'm back in there for the bearings. 

Need to finish modding the winch and get it mounted up as well. 

• Like 1

I did get the new pitman arm on, you can see it in the pics.

The ram is going to take more downtime than I want to spend right now. The oil pan will need modified, as well as some other fab/head scratching. It has to drive-able for Memorial weekend and I want to drive it to Canby. I think the steering ram may be a later this summer project. As it is now it steers really well and I just want to get the noisy bearing in the t-case adapter replaced so I can enjoy driving it for a while. :)

I stoppped in at TAP Plastics and picked up some material for my center console switch/stereo panel. The 1/8" thick stuff fits flush to the edge of the stock stereo cutout. A guy I work with has a laser etcher that he can use to cut out the panel. I may offer the panels for sale there's any interest. 

IMG_36761.jpg

I also found this hinge at TAP, going to see if I can use it to repair my glove box door. 

IMG_36751.jpg

• Like 1

Got to go play in the woods yesterday. We went to check out the new Reiter Foothills trails. It's nothing like the old Reiter but the trails they've done so far are really challenging. 

My mom brought her 4Runner, but decided to leave it parked after scouting the trails a bit. :lol:

IMG_3715.jpg

Shonuff, was the designated trail plug of the day.

IMG_3740.jpg

I'll just add more pics to tell the days story. I got a bunch of gopro footage to go through so there should be a video at some point.   :)

IMG_3744.jpg

IMG_3745.jpg

IMG_3748.jpg

IMG_3752.jpg

IMG_3757.jpg

IMG_3758.jpg

IMG_3760.jpg

IMG_3762.jpg

Quite a bit of this going on. 

IMG_3764.jpg

IMG_3770.jpg

IMG_3775.jpg

IMG_3780.jpg

IMG_3783.jpg

IMG_3784.jpg

IMG_3787.jpg

IMG_3792.jpg

• Like 1

We made some new friends, this Jeep was a beast.  :devil:

IMG_3804.jpg

IMG_3825.jpg

IMG_3807.jpg

IMG_3811.jpg

IMG_3820.jpg

Get the scissor jack out again.  :lol:

IMG_3826.jpg

IMG_3829.jpg

IMG_3830.jpg

IMG_3841.jpg

IMG_3843.jpg

IMG_3845.jpg

This was my only damage. Looks like I'm going to a thicker wall tube for this guy.  :lol:

IMG_3847.jpg

Drove home in front wheel drive. All in all, the Datsun did awesome, didn't get stuck once and had a blast.  :D

• Like 3