1978 620 King Cab 4X4

]2eDeYe

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Man.......I just finished reading this thread front to back.  I read it while drinking coffee and eating breakfast, while I was eating lunch and whenever I found spare minutes to sit.  

I know that there have been many superlatives thrown your way Redeye, but I think your work is clever, thoughtful (I love the way you describe the time you spend sitting, looking and thinking), and stout (at least it looks this way).  I really think that there is so much to learn in the art/science of fabrication from the guys who build (not buy) their trucks to 'wheel!  There is a considerable amount of quality in the build of this truck!

A main part of this build, for me, is the inspiration you provide.  I will be building an FJ40 (turbo diesel conversion) for my wife (it's her dream car) when I get my 710 running and driving reliably, and will be looking in on this thread for the push to build what I can by myself in my own shop. 

A couple of questions for you, if you don't mind.

What kind of welder do you use for the heavy stuff?

What program are you using to "draw" your parts?

Thanks for sharing the build, Redeye!  It truly is an amazing rig.

• Like 2

Man.......I just finished reading this thread front to back.  I read it while drinking coffee and eating breakfast, while I was eating lunch and whenever I found spare minutes to sit.  

I know that there have been many superlatives thrown your way Redeye, but I think your work is clever, thoughtful (I love the way you describe the time you spend sitting, looking and thinking), and stout (at least it looks this way).  I really think that there is so much to learn in the art/science of fabrication from the guys who build (not buy) their trucks to 'wheel!  There is a considerable amount of quality in the build of this truck!

A main part of this build, for me, is the inspiration you provide.  I will be building an FJ40 (turbo diesel conversion) for my wife (it's her dream car) when I get my 710 running and driving reliably, and will be looking in on this thread for the push to build what I can by myself in my own shop. 

A couple of questions for you, if you don't mind.

What kind of welder do you use for the heavy stuff?

What program are you using to "draw" your parts?

Thanks for sharing the build, Redeye!  It truly is an amazing rig.

Thanks, much appreciated.   :)

I have a Miller 175 Welder it's 220v. 

I use Catia mostly for design wok, but I have access through my work. There are free drafting and modeling programs out there though. 

Looking awesome

Thanks Lou :)

we still need to get a pic of your truck with the front tire rolled up in the bed of mine.. lol

Hopefully this year works out for both of us.   :D

i'll bring a bike ramp to canby to help with that

Probably would save some body damage :lol:

Those wheels are so sexy. Your truck looks very happy.

Thanks, it feels pretty happy too, and tight. :)

Took it up to a buddy's place to check clearances and do a shakedown type thing. I really need some property and a lift. Most excellent. 

Enjoy the pics. Nuff got some video of my short trip through the woods, maybe he will post up.

IMG_3040.jpg

IMG_3042.jpg

IMG_3044.jpg

IMG_3046.jpg

IMG_3047.jpg

IMG_3049.jpg

IMG_3050.jpg

IMG_3052.jpg

IMG_3053.jpg

IMG_3054.jpg

IMG_3055.jpg

• Like 4

Looks good man! You going to put on some stops and limiting straps?

We'll see how long it takes my bank account to recover. :lol:

Pretty good flex, for leaf springs!

The back flexes pretty good, ,the front...not so much. The front springs were made for a wagoneer with a Nash 327 iron boat anchor.   :devil:

Pretty stiff leafs for the weight of the truck too

The rears were designed for this application and flex well. I don't need a flex monster anyways, I got lockers to get me into plenty of trouble. :D

this truck makes me want to do 4x4 in my king cab even more so every time i look at it. you're a horrible horrible person.

although if i do i probably won't be going with 35s (i hate paying for tires and climbing up into vehicles)

Could go lower a couple inches with some body mods. Some photochop to show what I mean, a little bob and wheel opening stretch.  :ninja:

IMG_3034chop.jpg

this truck makes me want to do 4x4 in my king cab even more so every time i look at it. you're a horrible horrible person.

although if i do i probably won't be going with 35s (i hate paying for tires and climbing up into vehicles)

I completely agree

Anything I can do to corrupt a few is good by me.  :rofl:

• Like 6

I was corrupted into wheeling nearly at birth, spent over an hour in a car seat in my dads 4wd van stuck in a mud hole when I was about 18months old, I was doomed from the start.

I like that little photo chop too.

I'd like to chop it in real life but it will be a ton of work and I'd rather go wheeling. :lol:

DUDE!! been awhile since i seen your thread! great work man! glad to see you got a real differential  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Thanks man, it will be nice not to flinch every time I climb something.

I'm looking forward to updates on that 521  :thumbup:

• Like 1

We seem to share a similar mentality on that :lol: I want to do coil overs and four links on my scout when I tear it apart, but I'd rather just get it done and go break it, or just use it.

There is a ratio of work to wheeling, me and Nuff have been trying to nail it down, so far 1 hr wrenching = 1 trip wheeling. He seems to think I got a lot of wheeling time built up, but I'm thinking I may be paying for previous wheeling time. Hard to say :lol: 

Looks good man. Me likeeee the front armor.....

Thanks, hoping it works well with the flares when I get around to them. 

so badass Steve, your rig just keeps getting better & better.... are your rock lights LED, they seem so white in that pic.  

Thanks. They are $10 tractor lights from Harbor Freight. I will get a pic of them mounted ended up nice and tucked away. Plan to get 2 or 3 more sets to light up the rest of the under carriage. :)

Hoping to get out wheeling soon, maybe this weekend or next if Nuff can get his shit together. :lol: 

• Like 1