Ford, 8, 8.8, 9 Source

citymunky

I'm new to the solid rear axle cars so please bear with me. I been reading a lot about rear axle/diff upgrades for 510 wagons and the most common I keep reading about are Ford rear axle, however I can't find a list of Fords that came with 8", 8.8" and 9" diff's. At the end of the day I'm looking for something that with take about 350 WHP to 400 WHP and the least amount of modifying to fit.

BTW I found a 1988 Ford Mustang LX 5.0, stick. would that have a 8.8"? Mustang link

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I go the Junk Yard it will cost $235 for the whole axle with brakes and everything. Pick&Pull,. Now I'll just have to make the fronts 5x114.3 too.

Front is easy. You can run S12 200SX SE V6 front struts & hubs which are already 5 lug, or run 280zx struts with a conglomeration of S12 V6 hubs and I can't remember what brakes.

probably the easiest vehicle to find an 8.8 in is an Explorer. If you look on the differential cover, "usually" there is a tag with the diff size, and the gear ratio stamped on it. Two tags sometimes means limited slip.

The explorer's pinion is offset IS 2-3/16" and the axles are different length per side. The mustang 8.8 is only offset about .75".

The explorer's pinion is offset over 2" and the axles are different length per side. The mustang 8.8 is only offset about .75".

you need the offset axles, use 2 shortside axle housings and axles, so it fits under a 510. Even then might be hard to keep from rollin or flairing it. Ad some fwd offset wheels to get track right mybe but the brakes are pretty big, you could take the ranger rear 91-96 maybe others have drums and are pretty compact so I think a 14-15 inch rim would clear it, still got to weld spring perches on and check the lsd at the yard the 8.8s are shit and wear out if used much.

you need the offset axles, use 2 shortside axle housings and axles, so it fits under a 510. Even then might be hard to keep from rollin or flairing it. Ad some fwd offset wheels to get track right mybe but the brakes are pretty big, you could take the ranger rear 91-96 maybe others have drums and are pretty compact so I think a 14-15 inch rim would clear it, still got to weld spring perches on and check the lsd at the yard the 8.8s are shit and wear out if used much.

I'm want to flares, so it's not a bad thing, and if I swap rear axles I'm not keeping drum brakes. I just wish it was a bit more simple of a swap.

http://www.currieent...lt_rearend.aspx

On this site u can order any width any of those rearends and whatever bolt pattern you want. They even have brake systems and mounting set ups.

My co-worker was showing me that site, but man they are pricey.

if I swap rear axles I'm not keeping drum brakes.

Totaly agree, but I havnt treid to put anything but a 0 offset wheel on an exploder and it took up all of the space the 15" stock mag had to offer.

I dont know what front brakes you would need to go with the big disks they have either

• 5 months later...

I'm new to the solid rear axle cars so please bear with me. I been reading a lot about rear axle/diff upgrades for 510 wagons and the most common I keep reading about are Ford rear axle, however I can't find a list of Fords that came with 8", 8.8" and 9" diff's. At the end of the day I'm looking for something that with take about 350 WHP to 400 WHP and the least amount of modifying to fit.

BTW I found a 1988 Ford Mustang LX 5.0, stick. would that have a 8.8"? Mustang link

Plenty enough ... ford 8.8" is a good solid rearend ... Lsd .... been produced for 35+ years now in various models ... ring and pinions are interchangeable ... there are 28 spline axles and 31 spline axles ... 31 is stronger :)

Yes an 88 will have the 8.8" ford Lsd ( traction lok)

85-93 gt (v8) mustangs 8.8" ... Lsd ... drum brakes ... 28-spline axles ... 4x4.5" bolt pattern.

95 gt mustang (v8) mustangs ... Lsd ... disc brakes .... 31-spline axles .... 5x4.5" bolt pattern.

90-1994 ford explorer ... Lsd .... drum brakes ....28 and 31 splines .... 5x4.5" bolt pattern.

95-01 ford explorer ... Lsd .... disc brakes ... 31-splinez .... 5x4.5" bolt pattern.

probably the easiest vehicle to find an 8.8 in is an Explorer. If you look on the differential cover, "usually" there is a tag with the diff size, and the gear ratio stamped on it. Two tags sometimes means limited slip.

Yup. Look for an "L" designation code on tag as well ... it will indicate limited slip.

one tag usually says "Full synthetic only75w-140" ... close but not exact on my part haha.

If I go the Junk Yard it will cost $235 for the whole axle with brakes and everything. Pick&Pull,. Now I'll just have to make the fronts 5x114.3 too.

Get it. You don't "have to make the fronts the same pattern at the same time. Besides when your ready to do so many options available.

Wouldn't that effect the balance of the braking force too much? Those calipers are pretty big.

Speedway racing has a "brake line general mockup diagram" ... an adjustable Proportioning valve should do the trick ... plumb it in ... set it ... test it ... adjust it ... rinse and repeat until desired brake output :cool:

The explorer's pinion is offset IS 2-3/16" and the axles are different length per side. The mustang 8.8 is only offset about .75".

Yup. Many Dana rear ends don't have same length axle lengths on each side. Your mustang reference could work much better for him depending on his needs. Good call!

Of course shortening.g the axle and housing could remedy all of this haha :).

Good diy tip banner! Correct. Except 8.8 is not shit haha :lol: .

Yup. Good tip on offset fwd rims to tuck in and probably def will need to flair/cut wheel wells if not shortened one way or other haha.

Clutch pack replacement is pretty straight forward if worn , so this is good :) .

31-spline 8.8"Lsd rear axle ... have 1-spline larger axles... than gm corporate 12-bolt posi-traction rear-end ( which is used behind big block chevys consistently)

28-spline ford 8.8" Lsd ... have 2-splines smaller than gm corporate 12-bolt posi-traction rear axle ...

Thanks Dana and spiced :cool:

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/default_rearend.aspx

On this site u can order any width any of those rearends and whatever bolt pattern you want. They even have brake systems and mounting set ups.

Excellent link.

I'm want to flares, so it's not a bad thing, and if I swap rear axles I'm not keeping drum brakes. I just wish it was a bit more simple of a swap.

My co-worker was showing me that site, but man they are pricey.

Its pretty simple really. Just a list of minor details. You can do most of this stuff with a grinder, flux core welder, magnetic angle finder, a jack, measuring g tape, a few extra tools and common sense ;) :cool:

Yes they are but what I like about it is u can order everything to your exact specs and it'll be about the closet thang to a built proof bolt in rear end.

Exactly! !!!!!! :cool:

Yes^

Ill give you a hint, look at the cars I own.

Ahhhh i see ... any updates? Would love to see this 8.8" behind your proposed hinted powertrain :cool: .