'73 1200 Coupe Project, aka Timmy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a sedan going together in the Datsun Garage right now, has this install already done- just need to find photo "bank" I can deal with, something simple, that ya'll like??

Datsun510.com

I have been using Imgur.  As I have said before in other threads, If I can figure it out, pretty much anybody can. :thumbup:

Any idea where to get rear quarter window seals?

Well, thanks to this guy...    ^_^

Got tired of seeing daylight between the quarter window and the b-pillar every time I walked past the car, so took the quarter windows out...

large.20180331_101307.jpg.91c17c19bf7447

Took the stock seal off, or at least what was left of it...

large.20180331_101202.jpg.1971d9e45b7433

Someone has been in here getting crafty before. Some terrible black goo was on top of, and behind, the stock seal...

large.20180331_101258.jpg.e794723d8cc224

Took about 45 minutes per side to get all the goo off, but at least I didn't rip the headliner doing it...

large.20180331_104332.jpg.20bd77e1b8b1e1

The black on the window frames has been a bit worse for wear ever since I got the car, so I thought now was the best time to repaint it all...

large.20180331_121744.jpg.627bc058c09d2f

Window frames done up as well...

large.20180331_130252.jpg.481cdbaae11b03

Seal should be here any day now, so I should be able to put everything back in next week...

• Like 1

What seal did you end up going with? 

I ordered some from McMaster-Carr because you can order it by the foot, and I still haven't seen any good photos of the Peterbuilt seal yet.

And believe it or not, you need about 13 feet of it for a coupe...  :blush:

• Like 1

And the 13 feet has been acquired...

large.20180404_161559.jpg.65c39047120825

Close up...

large.20180404_161619.jpg.eb484dc66f4882

The pinch weld part is identical size-wise to the stock stuff, and even has a very stock looking texture to it. The foam seal, I don't really know yet. Based on my measurements, there is about a 7/16" gap in there, so I bought the version with a 1/2" thick seal. They offer this in a 5/8" seal also, if this isn't big enough. The best price I found on the Peterbuilt seal was around $53 shipped, and this was $26 shipped, so I think it's worth a shot. Even if I end up ordering the bigger seal later on, the cost would be about equal. If this works well, then bonus. 

Once I have confirmed it works, I'll post up a link and a part number.  :thumbup:

• Like 4

Dude, call in sick to work tomorrow....get it done.

Realized (again) that I have only done one side on the green car.

• Like 3

Size of the pinch welt was spot on. Fits just like stock and goes on easy...

large.20180407_100219.jpg.fd079ad13daf3f

Decided to put the seam in the middle of the top and used some black 3M weatherstrip adhesive to glue the two ends of the seal together. 

large.20180407_103811.jpg.c38399f8f7a736

This stuff goes around corners pretty well, but it helps to spread it open a bit first, then pinch it back closed once it's on there...

large.20180407_103821.jpg.ee7c5d597c5d87

Windows back in and you can really see how faded the stock black paint on the window trim was...

large.20180407_124312.jpg.f0cf88006d7107

Bought 13 feet and had about 8" left over...

large.20180407_104018.jpg.96e8e7d42db79c

As I said, the fit is quite good, it's pretty easy to install, but anyone else reading this should be contemplating a larger size bulb seal. From the back to the front, it seals great. About an inch or two from the front edge it starts to lift a bit and along the front vertical edge there is still a tiny gap between the window and the seal of maybe 1/16". I was able to tweak the front brackets a bit to get it almost all the way down, but not close enough for me to say "hey, go buy this seal"...

The seal I bought was:

1120A323 - Water- & Weather-Resistant Rubber Push-on Seal with Bulb on Side, Hollow, for 3/16" Edge, 7/16" High ($1.74 per foot)

What I think you should buy, is one of these:

1120A333 - Water- & Weather-Resistant Rubber Push-on Seal with Bulb on Side, Hollow, for 3/16" Edge, 5/8" High ($2.09 per foot)

1120A583 - Water- & Weather-Resistant Rubber Push-on Seal with Bulb on Side, Hollow, for 3/16" Edge, 3/4" High ($2.59 per foot)

If you got to McMaster-Carr and copy and paste those part numbers into the search box it will take you right to it. 

Personally, rather than redo it it again with a bigger bulb seal, I think I found an end-around to make this one work as is. I found a 7/16" wide, 1/4" thick foam seal with an adhesive back. I'm going to take out just the window, attach that to the back side of the frame, then bolt it back in. Then it should seal up nice and tight...

• Like 3

I like your idea of making the seam at the middle of the top......guess I can do that on my last window.

I also need to show the wife that side shot of the window/door frame and prove to her the door frame should be black.

• Like 3

I like your idea of making the seam at the middle of the top......guess I can do that on my last window.

I also need to show the wife that side shot of the window/door frame and prove to her the door frame should be black.

At the top is more likely to let water in, than if you put it along the bottom...

At the top is more likely to let water in, than if you put it along the bottom...

I convinced him to put it at the top.  My thinking was based on standing water rather than blowing water, I guess.  I have no science to back up my recommendation, it just seemed more righter at the time.  

Since the car has drip rails, and it's a rear window, it might not be an issue.  I have a work truck with a torn gasket at the top and it lets in a, relatively, lot of water in the rain.  It has drip rails but the tear is also near the front top where water blows around from the windshield.

I convinced him to put it at the top.  My thinking was based on standing water rather than blowing water, I guess.  

Since the car has drip rails, and it's a rear window, it might not be an issue.

Two things to note...

When the two ends of the seal are properly glued together, the location of the split is meaningless. Once glued together, there is no split. You'd be hard pressed to even see where I joined it now. 

This car will most likely never see any rain. It has not seen a drop of rain in over 25 years, and will not under my watch. If I only hand wash it (as in no power sprayer), it won't matter where the split is really. 

Honestly, the seal is mostly there to keep out dust and not allow the windows to whistle or rattle going down the freeway.  ^_^

• Like 1

Yes, I could show her the pics.....but I still think I would lose the argument. Have you met my wife? She has only admitted to being wrong 3 time in over 10 years of marriage.

As far as the seal goes, Neither of my 1200's see rain if I can avoid it so I am in the same boat as you and well, I do live in the desert.

That's an interesting pic.  I thought those were the hubcaps that came on the sedans.  I thought the Coupes had the covers with more "spoke-type" things on them.  As always, I could be dead wrong...

You could just show her a photo from any original advertisement. You can see they were black originally on all 1200 Coupes. 

c6d29588a5a633e65d0ecb9a88b46323.jpg

That's an interesting pic.  I thought those were the hubcaps that came on the sedans.  I thought the Coupes had the covers with more "spoke-type" things on them.  As always, I could be dead wrong...

If you will notice, that is an advertisement from the European market. May have used different caps over there? 

• Like 1