'73 1200 Coupe Project, aka Timmy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Decided that even though it's hot, it's time to knuckle down and get this thing roadworthy. That way when the nice weather arrives next month I can drive it instead of work on it...   :rofl:

Got all the wheels off and decided to bleed the brakes today. Even using a power bleeder it took forever...   :frantics:

Because the rear calipers have to be mounted on the bottom of the control arm, the bleeder faces down. Thinking this would not be ideal for bleeding, I started scratching my head and came up with this crazy plan...

Unbolt caliper from carrier, leaving carrier and pads in place. Took a micrometer and measured the thickness of the pad/rotor/pad in place. Then started looking around the shop for something solid that is a similar thickness. As it turns out, a 2x4 piece of wood is the EXACT same thickness.   :P

20160813_113548.jpg

This worked GREAT! Got all the air out of the system, and the pedal feels good, AND no leaks!  :cool:

Even the hydraulic e-brake works like a charm. It's funny that because the rear brakes lines are maybe 12 feet long it took several minutes to get all the air out. The front lines took about 3 seconds.   :thumbup:

Whittled three things off the list today, so it's getting close to a test drive now...

Left to do:

1. Check/change trans fluid

2. Finish dash wiring

3. Replace and bleed clutch master

4. Build rear exhaust hanger

5. Rebuild and install rear drive axles

Following a successful electrical system test, then we pour some gas in it and see if it fires up. So cross your fingers...    :thumbup:

• Like 5
  • 3 weeks later...

After installing the GPS speedo, started thinking about what to do with the new speedo cable I installed. I see guys install a GPS speedo but never mention what they did with the cable...   :rofl:

So after removing the cable completely from the car, it occurs to me that the speedo pinion is now going to leak like crazy, so how to remedy that...

Came up with an idea on how to fix it, but it involved cannibalizing a speedo cable. Not wanting to cut up a brand new one, I rustled up an old crusty 620 cable. Neat thing about it is that the screw on bit at the trans end not only has a knurl on it, it also has a hex on it to tighten it with a wrench. Cut the cable apart and slid that off...

normal_20160903_100149.jpg

But still need a seal for it, so I figured out the hole in the "nut" is the exact same size as a penny.  ^_^

Put a little silicone down in the hole, mooshed in the penny, then put a bit on it as well...

20160903_100701.jpg

Screwed that on, and now it shouldn't leak from the speedo pinion.  :thumbup:

Tried taking the bumper back off to fiddle with the right side bracket to get it to come out 1/4" to get it even. Tried a million different things, none of which worked out like I wanted. Said fuck it and pushed the left side in 1/4".  :rofl:

20160903_123626.jpg

• Like 2

I love this car! Always liked 1200s.... This one is very much my taste.

Nice work on the bumper brackets, clever idea and the tuck is just right. Funny how much difference just the spacing can change the look. I'm eventually going to do something similar on my Z... I'd like those tucked in tight as well.

I've never seen those GPS speedos either, that solves the problem of mismatching due to tire size change or rear gear swapping. And they look killer too!

• Like 1

I was going to try to weld it up, but I'm not sure what it's made of.

Same here...   :rofl:

Doesn't quite feel like aluminum or steel. Forgot to check if it was magnetic...   ^_^

I've never seen those GPS speedos either, that solves the problem of mismatching due to tire size change or rear gear swapping. 

That's exactly why I wanted to try one. Planning to play around with tires sizes and gear ratios to get it exactly how I want it.

• Like 2

Once again, something I dreaded doing turned out to be super easy...    ^_^

Took about 7 minutes to get the old clutch master cylinder out...   :rofl:

Side by side with the new one...

14224893_10154024019832983_2492727524546

Changed out the clevis on the back from old to new. Took about 3 minutes to install, and another 3 minutes to bleed it. Job done...

14212741_10154024019837983_8930172903097

Now just to finish the exhaust hanger, install the rear axles, and wire up the gauges. Then time for fun...   B)

• Like 4

Hey DF, i have this steering wheel with horn button. (Not a pic of my wheel, but mine is identical)

2947229921_a6d90cfcc4_o.jpg

Its too small in the splines to fit my 510, so I'm pretty sure it can only fit 1200/b210/b310 or something like that.

Is this an item of interest to you, or to other 1200 owners?

Hey DF, i have this steering wheel with horn button. (Not a pic of my wheel, but mine is identical)

2947229921_a6d90cfcc4_o.jpg

Its too small in the splines to fit my 510, so I'm pretty sure it can only fit 1200/b210/b310 or something like that.

Is this an item of interest to you, or to other 1200 owners?

Pic doesn't seem to be working for me?

• 3 weeks later...

Awhile back someone asked where my hood prop holder came from. I recall it was from some late model Pathfinder, but couldn't recall the exact year...

10505493_10152274900102983_7736287816570

Was recently helping a friend work on his 2011 Nissan Rogue and noticed it had the same holder, so...   :thumbup:

20160921_104517.jpg

And yes, I modified it slightly...    ^_^

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...