'73 1200 Coupe Project, aka Timmy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years back I ordered a new boot badge from Japan, but it's been sitting in my tool box since then because I couldn't bring myself to drill into the trunk to mount it...

20150827_132831.jpg

So I thought since I was adding the spoiler, why not put it on there? But not being willing to drill into the spoiler either, I decided to remove the mounting pins. No greater thrill than taking a brand new part to the grinder...   :rofl:

20150827_133027.jpg

Then finished sanding the primer on the spoiler and put the paint on it...

20150827_173409.jpg

Going to give it a day or so to dry while I gather up the courage to drill mounting holes in the trunk...   ^_^

• Like 3

Two holes drilled, and now it's on...   :thumbup:

Paint didn't match perfectly, but it's pretty close. The more I buff it, the lighter it gets, so I'll try to buff it again next week. It was a pain in the ass to buff off the car, so I'm hoping that being bolted down to something it'll go smoother...   :rofl:

20150828_182406.jpg

I'm a little annoyed at the color being slightly off, but I do like the fit, and I love what it does for the car. Every coupe needs one...   B)

• Like 4

John,

Someone was asking where a rear spoiler could be purchased.

FutoFab will be offering a 1200 Rear spoiler very similar to yours, hopefully by mid-September.

I do not have pictures at this time, but one feature it does have is the rise at the center of the leading edge on the deck lid to match the ridge on trunk lid.

• Like 4

FutoFab will be offering a 1200 Rear spoiler very similar to yours, hopefully by mid-September.

Sweet! Can't wait to see it. Feel free to post up a pic here when have one.  ^_^

one feature it does have is the rise at the center of the leading edge on the deck lid to match the ridge on trunk lid.

Yeah, that was one problem with this one. I cut a groove in the bottom of it so it would fit better. 

John,

I do not have pictures at this time, but one feature it does have is the rise at the center of the leading edge on the deck lid to match the ridge on trunk lid.

I'm still holding out for body panels

• Like 1

John,

About time you started making some 1200 parts! :rofl:

• Like 1

Well, you could always try these guys?

http://www.allmusclecarparts.com.au/webshop/index.php/datsun/1200-ute-sedan.html

I think Dave might feel like there's not enough demand here in the US to import that stuff? 

Correct me if I am wrong Dave, but these guys get the panels from the same people you do for the 510? 

these guys get the panels from the same people you do for the 510? 

Yes, he does. But for him to import a bunch of 1200 stuff, there'd have to be demand for it. You and I would buy some stuff, but realistically how many others would? 

Kinda chaps me too, because they sell the lower valence for $40, but won't ship it to the US. Heck, all their 1200 sheetmetal is super cheap. Less than half what it costs for 510 parts... 

• Like 1

I wish I could just add 1200 parts to my next order.

Muscle Car Parts Australia (MCPA) buys from many sources. The reproduction 510 steel parts we both sell come from the same manufacturer. I do not know who MCPA buys their 1200 parts from, but it is not the same source as our 510 parts and based on the pricing, they are likely not the same quality level as the 510 stuff we sell.

Many of the less expensive sheet metal parts have quality/fit problems (not that any sheet metal panel will be 100% perfect, even ours). The QC issues stem from using tooling that is in poor condition. Often these lower priced panels use old factory stamping dies. The used dies typically have been pulled from production because they no longer meet OE factory standards and these lower priced panel manufacturers place them back into service.

All of the reproduction parts FutoFab sells are made from brand new tooling. Our manufacturer takes an OE panel or deconstructs a car at the factory seams and generates photometric dimensions from the panels. From these scans they create new manufacturing tooling. Our supplier has been building reproduction US muscle car parts this way since 1985, so it isn't a new process for them.

• Like 3

I wish I could just add 1200 parts to my next order.

Muscle Car Parts Australia (MCPA) buys from many sources. The reproduction 510 steel parts we both sell come from the same manufacturer. I do not know who MCPA buys their 1200 parts from, but it is not the same source as our 510 parts and based on the pricing, they are likely not the same quality level as the 510 stuff we sell.

Many of the less expensive sheet metal parts have quality/fit problems (not that any sheet metal panel will be 100% perfect, even ours). The QC issues stem from using tooling that is in poor condition. Often these lower priced panels use old factory stamping dies. The used dies typically have been pulled from production because they no longer meet OE factory standards and these lower priced panel manufacturers place them back into service.

All of the reproduction parts FutoFab sells are made from brand new tooling. Our manufacturer takes an OE panel or deconstructs a car at the factory seams and generates photometric dimensions from the panels. From these scans they create new manufacturing tooling. Our supplier has been building reproduction US muscle car parts this way since 1985, so it isn't a new process for them.

brookeville roadsters used digital photometric measuring to get dimensions for their reproduction deuce coupe bodies and created new tooling also and if I remember reading right they replace the dies after x number of stampings. So the process you are talking about is quite common but also not cheap.