How to cc your cylinder head for free

datzenmike

Briefly my plan is to install a Z20E head with the EFI from an '80 or '81 200sx on my L20B engine block. Later I want to rebuild a Z24 and swap the EFI onto it.

Lately it has become clear that the Z20E head has to be much larger than the L 20B head which is 45.3cc, and will result in a compression of about 7.4 if I put it on as it is. But how much bigger is it? Well there are many way to enlightenment, grasshopper. Here's another very low tech and cheap.

One clear plastic front half of an old CD case, and at the pharmacy, ask for a liquid medicine syringe, (not the one with a needle) but for giving medicine to children. It's plastic with a plunger and holds 10cc. I told them what I needed and what it was for, and they gave it to me for nothing.

uJFT8N3.jpg

Take the CD case and trim the raised edge off of it, so it will lay flat on the cylinder head. Drill a small hole large enough for the syringe to fit into, about 1/2" from the edge. You are now done and can cc your own and your friend's heads, at home or even in a junk yard if you want. How easy was that?

pl4ugu4.jpg

Method:

For best results the surface of the head around the chamber must be smooth, clean and dry, so if you're not at home take a wire brush.

If it's an overhead cam, turn till the valves are closed (did a Z24 and the spring pressure sealed the valves just fine) If the valves are out, apply a little wheel bearing grease on the valve face and install in the guides (the grease will hold them in place and seal them too)

Apply a little grease around the edge of the chamber with your finger, lay the CD case on top, making sure that you have the hole right over at the edge, and press down. The grease will squish, so you can see that you have a good seal. Tilt the head up slightly on the side with the hole, fill the syringe from a glass of water, making sure there are no bubbles, and inject into the chamber, keeping track of how many times you fill it up. As it gets close to full you may have to rock or tilt the head to get the air bubble out but the grease will hold the cover in place.

ObU4LBF.jpg

I cc'd a Z20E, Z22S, and a Z24 head Sunday afternoon, did them twice to be sure. It was fast and easy. My cc kit is totally transportable, accurate to 1/10 cc (on the syringe), very low tech but repeatable results, cheap.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...