78 K/C with a KA24DE

Eric Garside

Today I got the L-Series out and briefly set the KA in.

On to the OIC"s

Out with the old.....

IMAG0429.jpg

IMAG0432.jpg

its so empty

IMAG0489.jpg

And in with the new :)

IMAG0490.jpg

IMAG0491.jpg

IMAG0492.jpg

IMAG0493.jpg

From the looks of it just a little bit more clearance on the firewall side and it should fit right in.

IMAG0494.jpg

IMAG0495.jpg

IMAG0496.jpg

IMAG0497.jpg

IMAG0498.jpg

IMAG0499.jpg

I will be rebuilding the engine but I want to have the mounting/fab/wiring work out of the way first. The engine is out of a 93 240sx. I will do my best to document everything I do so others can hopefully use this to help save a few headaches. Let me know if you want pictures of something specific and I will do my best to oblige.

The plan is to have it read for CaNdy 2012. cool.gif

• Like 1
  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awsome!! I like the way you are taking detailed pics showing how much you are off in crucial areas. This is something I would like to eventually do on my 620. Please keep us posted with issues, ideas, solutions and such. I will definitely follow this build!

• Like 1

You gonna run hoodless like chet, or are ya gonna set that engine a little closer to the crossmember lol

There is a ton of room between the crossmember and the pan but it looks like it will clear the hood just fine. I will have a better idea about having to lower it once the tranny is in place. If the tranny clears the tunnel I dont see a reason to lower it anymore, if I do it will just be in the way of the center link more.

Not much clearance for the steering, it appears.

How ya gonna tackle that?

Otherwise, looks good.

That's going to be a huge gain!

I think the pan will have to be massaged a little to make the steering work but looks really close. If its too tight I will do what redeye did and put the center link under the pitman arm. This just requires welding the taper shut and then ream the taper in from the other side. Jeep guys do it all the time to keep their steering geometry correct.

----

Thanks for all the support guys. I know this is going to be a steep learning curve but I am super stoked to put this thing together. I need to pick a factory service manual for the S13 engine as I am not familiar with all of the emissions components and whatnot.

The L will be put in storage for spare parts for my other 620 but I could be persuaded to sell some parts off it. Send me a PM with what you need, an offer, and we will work something out biggrin.gif

There is a ton of room between the crossmember and the pan but it looks like it will clear the hood just fine. I will have a better idea about having to lower it once the tranny is in place. If the tranny clears the tunnel I dont see a reason to lower it anymore, if I do it will just be in the way of the center link more.

The trans is the limiting factor. It will hit the tunnel. You'll either have to beat the tunnel or modify the mounts. I modified my mounts to keep the cab straight.

I think the pan will have to be massaged a little to make the steering work but looks really close. If its too tight I will do what redeye did and put the center link under the pitman arm. This just requires welding the taper shut and then ream the taper in from the other side. Jeep guys do it all the time to keep their steering geometry correct.

If you have a welder, it's cheaper to pick up a ream and do it yourself (I paid about $200 to get it done). Make sure to get the correct taper. The pan won't need too much massaging. :)

Do you have a 620 AC unit for under the dash?

2eDeYe' date='18 September 2011 - 07:02 AM' timestamp='1316358163' post='548893']

The trans is the limiting factor. It will hit the tunnel. You'll either have to beat the tunnel or modify the mounts. I modified my mounts to keep the cab straight.

If you have a welder, it's cheaper to pick up a ream and do it yourself (I paid about $200 to get it done). Make sure to get the correct taper. The pan won't need too much massaging. :)

Do you have a 620 AC unit for under the dash?

How much did you lower your mounts? Where do I find out what the right taper is?

Im sorry I dont have an AC unit. I have only ever seen one and it was at the wrecking yard.

Haha, I read K/C as A/C :lol:

I dropped mine 5/8". I just did another set dropped 3/4" for another swap. Which should get a bit more room at the firewall, a small bit, but that's the tightest area on my truck.

Picture003-1.jpg

Picture013.jpg

I think the taper is 7%. You should be able to verify with a stock part in hand with some measuring.

Scored some parts at Pull and Save today.

Nice set of mirrors, volvo fuel pump for $7, lowering blocks, and some other miscellaneous stuff.

IMAG0504.jpg

What have you guys used for the outlet on the pump, as far as plumbing? Also, why is the outlet so much smaller than the inlet?

IMAG0505.jpg

IMAG0506.jpg

Also saw this and thought it was interesting....

IMAG0502.jpg

IMAG0503.jpg

Any idea what kind of carb that is? It looks really small, im not sure why someone would invest in that instead of a weber (not really relevant to my build but I thought I would share anyway).

Scored some parts at Pull and Save today.

Nice set of mirrors, volvo fuel pump for $7, lowering blocks, and some other miscellaneous stuff.

IMAG0504.jpg

What have you guys used for the outlet on the pump, as far as plumbing? Also, why is the outlet so much smaller than the inlet?

IMAG0505.jpg

IMAG0506.jpg

Also saw this and thought it was interesting....

IMAG0502.jpg

IMAG0503.jpg

Any idea what kind of carb that is? It looks really small, im not sure why someone would invest in that instead of a weber (not really relevant to my build but I thought I would share anyway).

yea, LPG conversion.