strange box in engine compartment

josh_t

my b210 has a small rectangular box attached to the back side of the passenger side strut tower. it has a counter on top of it like and odometer. it has 4 wires coming out of it. it has a relay inside that operates the counter. it doesnt affect starting or running. will post pics of it when i get home.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the EGR counter. It's sole purpose was to turn on the EGR warning light every xxx number of miles. US regulations at the time required the EGR light to come on at something like 60,000 miles, because no one knew how long the EGR would last. Totally useless piece of equipment unless you're going for the "full stock" look. Most '75-77 Datsuns had them, but not all.

thanks guys. is there any way to test it? cuz i kinda like the idea of all the indicators on the car working right. for instance, i hooked up the seat belt switch and buzzer again. i would like to use that light for something else. like how honduh guys like to use different dash lights for a vtec light. any ideas?

It measures "count" rather than miles. It is four counts per/mile.

To test it:

1. Ensure the EGR dash light is off with Key ON, engine OFF

2. Ensure the EGR dash light is ON with key to START

3. Ensure the light is OFF when engine is running

4. Note the count on the box. Drive several miles and ensure the count has increased on the box.

how about put the fasten seat belt light in there or get on of the little cubby things some had, make a back lit ratsun delete panel that would be sick, just run the counter up to 240,000 and the light stays on from what zilla said ,then make up a delete panel to drive the masses wild.

how about put the fasten seat belt light in there or get on of the little cubby things some had, make a back lit ratsun delete panel that would be sick, just run the counter up to 240,000 and the light stays on from what zilla said ,then make up a delete panel to drive the masses wild.

sorry guys tried to do a multi quote. idk how to use it yet. but they are both pretty good ideas. i want it to be some kind of warning or similar light. maybe a shift light. only problem is i dont have anything to run a shift light with.

the two types of shift light ive used ( tuff trucks is load other than that never seen the need actulay seemed kinda ricer)

. msd box option

. after market tach option

mount a tach with a shift light option and run the light to the panel decorate acordingly( unless you plan on putting a carbin fiber sticker on it ) and roll on all shifty mc shifta loty style.

• 2 weeks later...