Delco Remy alt.

wayno

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wayno, that is in fact a GM one wire alternator. Shown best in your last pic is a black rubber plug at the 1 and 2 electrical connector spots. Under this plug is where the othertwo wires would normally be connected. And yes they are internally regulated.

It is a model 10si or 12si, i need a picture of the front of it to tell.

Be prepared to hate this alternator, i have yet to be happy with a GM 10si alternator in any vehicle i had one in.

Wayno, that is in fact a GM one wire alternator. Shown best in your last pic is a black rubber plug at the 1 and 2 electrical connector spots. Under this plug is where the othertwo wires would normally be connected. And yes they are internally regulated.

It is a model 10si or 12si, i need a picture of the front of it to tell.

Be prepared to hate this alternator, i have yet to be happy with a GM 10si alternator in any vehicle i had one in.

I removed it from the engine as I have a 1980 720 wiring harness in the project, so i used a early 80s 720 internally regulated datsun/nissan one as it is wired for the harness. All I had to do was make a mount. But this might work for another future project. Here are a few more photos.DSCN0933.jpg

DSCN0932.jpg

DSCN0931.jpg

DSCN0934.jpg

So why does it have four wire connectors?

Maybe you should try looking at it again. Bet you cant find four wire connections.

Wayno-that is the 10si model with the one wire kit installed. Easily converted back to a normal. And then you can wire it properly and have it function like it is supposed to and operate your dash light so you know it is working just like stock.

The 10si is the earlier version produced from the early 70's to the mid 80's. And was available in many different amperage ratings, with the highest amperage rated one at 83 amps(i think). I have seen them as low as 35 amps.

The 12si is the later version produced from the late 80's and into the early 90's. Also available in many different amperage ratings, but the lowest was in the 70 amp range(IIRC) and the highest was just over 100 amps. The 12si can be upgraded to at least 150 amps if the money was spent to do it.

The 10si and 12si internal parts will physically interchange, but the cases are different. The reason for the difference in the cases is airflow. The 12si cases and fan assembly are designed for better airflow to cool the extra heat of the higher amperage ratings. The 12si usually has a plastic fan assembly on the front of it.

YES IT IT A 1 WIRE.

It's an internally regulated GM one wire unit. 45amp output, but still better then the stock alternator.

I have one sitting in my garage brand new from Autozone. They're pretty cheap, and only cost around $50 at Autozone and come with a lifetime warranty.

I'll take pictures of mine tomorrow for comparison. Don't feel like waking up the parents.

Edited by metalmonkey47

David, the 1-wire alternators are a normal GM alternator with a slightly different regulator that lets them self-start the field. Normal GM SI type alternators will self-start at around 3000 RPM (depends on the pulleys though) but sometimes won't at all. The way to force-start the alternator is to put a low-current load at the field terminal (using the idiot light). The 1-wire has all the same connectors, you just don't need the idiot light to start the field, it self-energizes. However internally they've hooked the Sense terminal to the BATT terminal (which was done externally on a normal SI type alternator).

The way that the guys that sell 1-wire converted alternators is they put a cap plug over the Field/Sense terminals so you know you don't need the wires.

BTW, that works even with the bigger 12SI alternators. I had the fuse that ran the idiot lights blow out, the main alternator wouldn't work until I got up to around 40MPH then it started charging normally.