80's model 200sx

What can you guys tell me about the late 80's model 200sx? I don't know the specific year yet, but it has the fuel injected 4-cyl motor and square hatchback body style. This guy at work has one for sale for $250 that supposedly has an electrical problem that causes it to not run unless floored. I know the SR20 motor was used in these for a while, just curious if it's worth looking into.

I'm still very serious about putting a ka in my truck, but an SR would be different (since there are 3 guys on here with ka swaps in 620s now).:)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if it is between 84 and 88 which is what it sounds like to me. It never came with an sr20 from the factory. if it is an 84-88 non-turbo it most likely has a CA20E, unless it is a SEV6 then it has a vg30. If memory serves, the vg was not offered untill 86. But, you already know its a four cylinder so, Yeah. If its a turbo then it has a CA18et. The only stateside 200sx's after that were front-wheel drive. The 240sx replaced the 200sx in 89, in the U.S. Then nissan decided to re-introduce the 200sx in 95, I think, as an economy car. I'm pretty sure it came with a GA16DE. Hope that helps.

Like Cook says. Never came with an SR20. The front wheel drive 90's 200sx/Sentra had a SR20DE(or similar variant), not at all the same engine and not at all easily put in a RWD vehicle.

200SXs didn't get the VG30 until '87. Only '87-88 SEs have the VG30. They are rather uncommon.

Cool, that's what I needed to know. The guy first tried to tell me it was a 280z. I told him that z's never came with 4-cylinders, and he just kept trying to tell me it was a z. CA motor would be different also, but I think Jeff is already working on putting that motor in something? I'll call you today Slodat!

• 7 months later...

The Z20E was used from '80-'81 followed by the Z22E '82 and '83. For '84 you had the choice of CA18ET or CA20E. No Z motors after '82. The CA and Z trannys don't match so I doubt a Z motor was swapped in. The valve cover on the Z motor will be cast, not stamped steel, and will say NISSAN Z at the back driver's side. The Nissan Z24 motor, only available on the 720 truck would look like this with a stamped steel valve cover:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/IMG_0437.jpg[/img]"]IMG_0437.jpg

OC from a performance standpoint the CAs might have been 'crappy' but have always heard they were tough and reliable motors.

Just for my two pence:

I have owned an '80 and an '81 200sx, both had injected NAPS-Z20's. The '80 was single plug with a dual butterfly progressive throttle body on the intake, and the '81 was a dual-plug with single throttle plate.

I believe (been a while) that the 82-83 models also had Z20's or Z22's injected.

Don't quote me on that last part, though :D

Good to know! I was under the understanding that only the Canadian model got the single plug head. Bit of a grey area, so maybe the early '80 in the States had them too. I'm pretty sure that the California ones would have been dual plug on any year.

Of the two EFI systems I have, both say '81, one is the the dual butterfly progressive TB and the other is a single. Both heads are single plug and are identical to the truck Z22. The Z22 head even has injector notches in the intake ports.

One good thing about the single plug head... the matchbox dizzy has only four plug wires and will fit the L series motors.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like he is in fact talking about an S12. And yep, you guys got the ca20e, ca18et and VG30E variants.

SR20's and CA18's do bolt straight into these things (can't confirm if you have steering clearance issues on LHD models though).

I owned one in Australia only last year, and the ca20e stripped a timing belt and bent valves about 3 weeks after purchase (admittedly it was on 300,000km's and probably had a factory timing belt). But even so, I wouldn't use a CA20e in a conversion, to many better options.

The ca20e have really weak rods and blocks, and are prone to breaking.... KA, CA18de, L & Z series etc are a better choice IMO.

i am looking at 87 200sx with the vg. the guy does know anything about the car. it is trashed most of the windows are broken and he does not know if the motor runs. i think they all came with the lsd rear ends. i want to put the vg in my 72 510 and the rear end. what do you think the car worth and what other parts will fit?