Master-O-Turbonics

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

finished pulling crap off the frame last night

2011-09-10%25252018.22.23_Statham_Georgia_US.jpg

The stock open 4.375 R180 differential(would be great for autocross or lower speed road racing courses for a 240Z, probably going into my parts collection)

2011-09-10%25252018.22.14_Statham_Georgia_US.jpg

a bit more progress and a peek into our fab shop

2011-09-10%25252020.46.26_Statham_Georgia_US.jpg

2011-09-10%25252020.46.11_Statham_Georgia_US.jpg

Also found and ordered an old Nissan manual on rebuilding/shimming the transfer case... Old Nissan manuals like that are hard to find.

Is the SD22 diesel engine going in this frame? You will have to extend the motor mount surfaces forward for the diesel, if you remind me tomarrow I will take close up photos of the diesel mount surfaces, as they are differant than the L20b/Z22-4 block surfaces, they are slightly differant angle, and 3 or 4 inches forward. Most of the guys that have put a diesel into a 4X4 frame have used a hybrid 4X4 napZ gasser/diesel oilpan combo, which seems to take time to make.

Is the SD22 diesel engine going in this frame? You will have to extend the motor mount surfaces forward for the diesel, if you remind me tomarrow I will take close up photos of the diesel mount surfaces, as they are differant than the L20b/Z22-4 block surfaces, they are slightly differant angle, and 3 or 4 inches forward. Most of the guys that have put a diesel into a 4X4 frame have used a hybrid 4X4 napZ gasser/diesel oilpan combo, which seems to take time to make.

Ah thanks,

I had noticed a difference between the rustyyyy front clip that the engine is on and my frame rails, but did not really investigate it much further than that.

I'm losing all the Independent front suspension stuff so I really don't have to worry about the oil pan clearing the differential.

I'm going in to the shop tomorrow to finish grinding/cutting on the frame and hopefully get it sprayed with epoxy primer before going out of town early next week for a test at Kansas Speedway with our newest race car.

more work done today

flipped the frame over and did more grinding/ cutting off the IFS

2011-09-17%25252011.59.07_Statham_Georgia_US.jpg

2011-09-17%25252017.38.37_Statham_Georgia_US.jpg

2011-09-17%25252017.38.52_Statham_Georgia_US.jpg

Test fit the diesel motor and looks like motor mounts are right at 1 3/4" further forward than the gas motor, so I'll be doing those next time I get to work on the truck

2011-09-17%25252019.18.04_Statham_Georgia_US.jpg

I'm glad you're putting a solid axle under the front. I was going to mention, the reason you see 720 4x4s for sale all the time is one because the 4wd parts are hard to come by. Particularly 80-82 with the early 4wd system. I can't even find half shafts for those anymore. 83-86 were better, but still didn't get the extension housing the D21 did. D21 axle shafts are a dime a dozen though, which is nice. And it's also nice not to have the 4wd drive pull to one side as with the unequal-length shafts.

I'm glad you're putting a solid axle under the front. I was going to mention, the reason you see 720 4x4s for sale all the time is one because the 4wd parts are hard to come by. Particularly 80-82 with the early 4wd system. I can't even find half shafts for those anymore. 83-86 were better, but still didn't get the extension housing the D21 did. D21 axle shafts are a dime a dozen though, which is nice. And it's also nice not to have the 4wd drive pull to one side as with the unequal-length shafts.

The deciding factor was when I went to NAPA and they laughed when I asked for CV axles for an 81 720 4x4... LOL. I spent way more than I did on the truck just for the axle, but its 4.88 ratio matches an H190 chunk that I have, its already built, and I can spend my time working on a 3 or 4 link setup. With the axle I also got a ruff stuff 1/4" thick differential cover, which isn't a cheap part either.

<br />I'm glad you're putting a solid axle under the front.  I was going to mention, the reason you see 720 4x4s for sale all the time is one because the 4wd parts are hard to come by.  Particularly 80-82 with the early 4wd system.  I can't even find half shafts for those anymore.  83-86 were better, but still didn't get the extension housing the D21 did.  D21 axle shafts are a dime a dozen though, which is nice.  And it's also nice not to have the 4wd drive pull to one side as with the unequal-length shafts.

Pulling to one side or the other wouldnt be due to the length of the shafts, but because the front diff doesnt lock....

I still would love to just do a SAS on my 720, but thats just too much money when I currently have an engine rebuild on the table.

Pulling to one side or the other wouldnt be due to the length of the shafts, but because the front diff doesnt lock....

I still would love to just do a SAS on my 720, but thats just too much money when I currently have an engine rebuild on the table.

Yeah thats why I am going with a good STOCK SD22 for now. V8 probably in the future of this rig but 65hp 100fl/Lb torque should be good enough for me for now. :-D

So are you saying you know how to lay 30 year old shaft?

Geez.

Your interpretation of my statement somewhat implies a latent (subconscious) desire to have a so called 'shaft' fitted where it doesn't belong.

Sorry.....not interested.......but....whatever floats your boat.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah thats why I am going with a good STOCK SD22 for now. V8 probably in the future of this rig but 65hp 100fl/Lb torque should be good enough for me for now. :-D

61hp is what the SD22 is stock, you might be able to get almost 90hp if you can figure out how to ram air into it without issues, lots of guys have tried.