620 stereo upgrade

Radiant-Designer

So looking at crutchfield pretty much everything is "doesn not fit" or "modified fit" I have seen a lot of people put the head unit in the center console, which isn't a bad idea, but is there any write ups as to what to expect? i tried searching on here but the search feature doesn't return too many results.

If i can stay with Rockford Fosgate that would be awesome, not because i love them, but because a friend's dad is a rep for them and gets me huge discounts!

for speakers I found Rockford Fosgate Punch P1S652which only a 2" depth, and only slightly larger diameter. i wouldnt mind putting a small amp or sub bud really dont have the room (not a king cab) unless someone has some ideas

PS I don't have the regular bench seat, I have corabeau racing seats in it now.

• Like 1
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So looking at crutchfield pretty much everything is "doesn not fit" or "modified fit" I have seen a lot of people put the head unit in the center console, which isn't a bad idea, but is there any write ups as to what to expect? i tried searching on here but the search feature doesn't return too many results.

If i can stay with Rockford Fosgate that would be awesome, not because i love them, but because a friend's dad is a rep for them and gets me huge discounts!

for speakers I found Rockford Fosgate Punch P1S652which only a 2" depth, and only slightly larger diameter. i wouldnt mind putting a small amp or sub bud really dont have the room (not a king cab) unless someone has some ideas

PS I don't have the regular bench seat, I have corabeau racing seats in it now.

Yes, you can put the amp under the seat. If your friend's dad is a Fosgate rep, look into the Prime or Punch slim profile 10 inch subs. Measure the space you have carefully and then compute an enclosure. The design of these subs require a very small box, so you can make it from 1/2 inch mdf. make sure you upgrade the alternator before you add the amp. As for the deck, you can do a custom mod and put it in the dash and it will look factory. I did this on mine and I also do installs for a living. You won't be able to reach the deck if you do it underdash because you'll have to put it on the pass side.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

Yes, you can put the amp under the seat. If your friend's dad is a Fosgate rep, look into the Prime or Punch slim profile 10 inch subs. Measure the space you have carefully and then compute an enclosure. The design of these subs require a very small box, so you can make it from 1/2 inch mdf. make sure you upgrade the alternator before you add the amp. As for the deck, you can do a custom mod and put it in the dash and it will look factory. I did this on mine and I also do installs for a living. You won't be able to reach the deck if you do it underdash because you'll have to put it on the pass side.

I apologize for bumping this thread, but installman57, can you explain what needs to be done to put an aftermarket head unit in the factory radio position in the dash? I'd prefer to keep it there, as it is definitely much more accessible and convenient. On top of that, I don't see the point of keeping the factory AM radio in that position if I am putting in an aftermarket stereo to provide my audio experience.

I know that a lot of modern head units provide a sleeve that you install into the dash slot and then just fold the correct tabs down to hold the sleeve in place and then after hooking up the wiring harness you simply plug in the head unit and slide it into the sleeve. I guess what I'm wondering/unsure of is if there is a concern with just fitting the sleeve into place, or if modifications need to be made to make it fit? I don't want to have the head unit sticking out a bunch if it can be avoided.

If there are any members out there who have managed to install a head unit into the factory radio slot, I'd love to see how you did it and maybe pick your brain a little bit with some questions!

Oh, and the head unit that I am considering using lists dimensions of 7" x 7" x 2", if that helps any.

• Like 1

Not a bad idea, datzenmike, but the head unit I'm considering isn't a high end unit by any means.... retailing for about $140.  I'm not worried about deterring thieves over the stereo.  I'd be more worried about thieves stealing the truck itself first! 

• Like 1

It's easy enough to do, but you will have to cut the metal dash which is why I recommend the center console mount. That way thieves won't trash your dash when they can't get it apart to get the stereo out. Been there, it sucked. :(

• Like 1

I have been a fan of Rockford for years. Punch and Power lines are great, cheap Worst Buy stuff is garbage.

Those RF Punch P165 speakers are awesome. (replacement for discontinued model # you listed) I got a pair in my truck. However, the 2" mounting depth won't fit in the kick panels or doors without a 1" spacer. I figured that out the hard way! I installed them in the doors. Topic here: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/62905-hate-the-dinkytinny-sounding-4-things-in-the-kickpanels-wanna-know-how-to-mount-speakers-in-the-doors-just-like-this-with-lots-of-detailed-pics/  I have no idea what they sound like though as my CD player I got for free wouldn't work. But they look cool! No funds right now for a new one either. CD player I made a faceplate out of scrap sheetmetal for the dash since some dumba$$ before me already hacked it up for a damned tape player. 

A shallow mount sub can go UNDER the seat, that is what I might do.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

im surprised no one has mentioned this but one thing you should consider is upgrading your alternator.

i think mine was a 35 amp? at night, with minimal loads (lights and head unit with just 2 small speakers) the lights were dim and or the stereo would just cut off. part of this is due to old wiring that could be repaired/replaced but the other part is definitely the old school alt. theres quite a few threads for converting to a 240sx alt, which i think is around 75 amps?

• Like 3

Get a center console for the deck. Under the seat or on the back wall is a good place for an amp.

The kick panels take a 5-1/4 speaker and a bass tube would fit nicely behind the passenger seat. smile.gif

Picture020-4.jpg

Redeye,

I've got a center console almost identical to yours (my Datsun blank off is where your head unit is placed, the slot above is just a blank off with a decorative slit or something in it), but from looking at the amount of room behind it to where the bracket slides into the receiver on the floor of the transmission tunnel it looks like there isn't enough space to install the stereo.  How did you manage to get yours installed, or did you also run into this problem?  It looks like there's maybe 3/4's of the distance of the stereo length.  Obviously I can't remove the bracket that slides into the receiver on the floor, so what is the best solution?  I'd prefer not to have the head unit sticking out a whole bunch, but I don't foresee any other possibility.  I will try and get photos to perhaps explain things better if this post doesn't make sense.

• Like 1

Sounds like you've got an unmolested console, nice. 

Pictures would help. I did not have any problems though. 

You can flip the bracket around under the console and maybe get a little more room that way. I installed the stereo into the console on my bench and then installed the console into the truck if that helps.

• Like 1

Sounds like you've got an unmolested console, nice. 

Pictures would help. I did not have any problems though. 

You can flip the bracket around under the console and maybe get a little more room that way. I installed the stereo into the console on my bench and then installed the console into the truck if that helps.

Well, it's not in bad shape.  Has a small crack at one of the screw mounting points down between the seats, but other than that it's mainly just a little dirty. I forgot to mention that there are actually two brackets holding things together.  I believe that one of them is just as a support for a factory radio as it has two holes about dead center of the bracket which are most likely screw holes for supporting the rear of a factory radio.  I can remove this piece, and actually had to take some measurements (approximately 5.5" from bezel to bracket with black coating that slides into the receiver on the floor - stereo is about 6.25" long to the bezel even though the manufacturer's specs says it is 7" x 7" x 2").  I've attached some pictures so you can see what I'm talking about.  I can't turn around the bracket with the black coating on it, as then it wouldn't slide forward toward the firewall into the receiver on the transmission tunnel.

IMG_20140917_010714_229_zps9pezsmaz.jpgIMG_20140917_010537_101_zps0uee62zx.jpg

IMG_20140917_010223_344_zpshss3tuvb.jpg

• Like 1