620: 5 speed: driveline crossmember

What needs to be done to my crossmember when putting it all back together. I have the driveline ready to go in. I am at the point of putting everything in.

What needs to be done,if anything?

I know lots of youse guys are running a 620 with a Z 5 speed. Talk to me....and thanks ahead of time.

dd :fu:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing needs to be altered. It is a str8 bolt in. The only thing that you need dif. is you should get a Z speedo cable. The speedo will be off with the stock 620 1. You should also replace the rear tranny seal, if you have not already. Did you put a new clutch in? Throw-out bearing? Wait a minute.............Is that a short shaft tranny (the stock one) if that is the case then there mite b some differences.

:fu:

Hi Dave,

my KC came with a 5 spd but then 5th wouldn't stay in unless held there, then a week later 2nd did the same. So I put in the '79-'80 Z car one I had saved for years and it fit perfectly on the old truck rubber mount. No changes. As long as the '78 5spd. and the '73? 4spd. trans mounts are the same... no prob.

The seal is $6. Your 4spd cable should reach I think but the speedometer cog in the trans will be for a car rear end ratio like:

YELLOW is the 16 tooth for the 3.36

BLACK is the 17 tooth for the 3.54

BLUE is the 18 tooth for the 3.70

WHITE is the 19 tooth for the 3.90

RED is the 20 tooth for the 4.11

PURPLE is the 21 tooth for the 4.375

The plastic gears are color coded. The truck and the Z car tires may be different heights so this may not be a perfect comparison but close. If the 4 speed cog won't fit the 5spd, (it might, and that's the perfect fix if it does) but if it won't, find out the color of the plastic cog and get the matching Z tranny cog. The speedo cog should always stay with the rear end ratio it's matched to. The 4 spd cog should go into the new trans to keep the speedometer correct.

Here's some I collected. The left one?? early 4 spd?? the middle looks like the '75-80 Z car and the other is from a truck 5spd, I think.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/00270018.jpg[/img]"]00270018.jpg

Depending which year Z trans you have you will need a year specific cog for it. '75-'80s won't fit in '81-'83s trannys.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/transcogs.jpg[/img]"]transcogs.jpg

Here's how to tell what year Z trans you have:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/transZ5speedearlywideratio.jpg[/img]"]transZ5speedearlywideratio.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/transZ5speedlatecloseratio.jpg[/img]"]transZ5speedlatecloseratio.jpg

Which tranny are you installing? Can you get a pic of your crossmember? Is it straight across the top ot does the center drop down about 1.25"? memory here, on the amount of drop. I know yours was an auto so that crossmember might be different than the manuals that i worked with, but i removed a short tail 4 spd from my 74 years ago and the crossmember was close to straight across the top. Forcing the larger bodied long tail 5 spd into the floor. Discovered that the factory long tail shifter trucks crossmembers had a drop in the to get the trans away from the floor.

HTH

Jason

That looks like the needed crossmember, going from my long lost memory though. Is that the crossmember that was with the auto trans? There could still be a difference, if it is. I do not know if the auto trans crossmembers are the same as the longtail 4/5spd's. But i do know that the short tail 4spd and the longtail 4/5spd are different.

Jason

You know, it's strange... I put the cog from my '76 4-speed straight in my '81 ZX 5-speed. The ZX tranny had the single year and tall shifter ears, but the cog bolt was on top not on the bottom.

I think the crossmember is the same, but I've never owned an automatic 620 nor attempted said conversion. I know on the cars it was different, but the cars used a 63 series manual. The big question is whether the rubber mount off the A/T is compatible with the 5-speed- I know the Z type mount is far, far different.

Ryan had a '73 as well. I helped with a swap from the stock short tail 4-speed to a truck 5-speed.

The factory crossmember in the truck was further forward in 1973 but it already had bolt holes in the frame further back. We just re-bolted it in further back. Used the long tail 5-speed, and the rear (long section) driveline back in place.

The center driveshaft piece from the carrier bearing forward had to be from a 1975-79 truck. (manual trans of course)

The 5-speed will have a single bolt at the back for the tranny mount.

Any 620 with a manual tranny will have the rest of the rubber part that you need. (if your auto doesn't have one that works)

• 4 weeks later...