Tana's PL 410 is running again

vindats1

Club member came over and got my old 65 running with out much trouble. He had to clean up contacts to get guages and lights to work. Now need to rebuild the master brake cylinder that was rebuild, but apparently didn't last or wasn't done well. I have new tires and plan to paint the wheels, non stock. Needs more clean up but can't wait to see how it drives after the brakes are working. Seems one brake was dragging last time driven.

Other club members came out to help a few more times, so it is getting done gradually. I was really excited to drive it out of the canopy.

Then I need to get Icehouse to do a bit of body work to replace the rockers panels with the good ones cut out from a rust free car. Then it will be back to car shows once again. Need to do the photo bucket thing too.

• Like 1
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pics? ... oh, I see.

my aussie helper

20110803113106DSC04181.jpg

a Datsun 410 has the E1 (1200) engine

20110803113732DSC04183.jpg

swapped my Mazda battery in there for testing

the cartridge-type oil filter looked new, so just changed the oil

20110803134402DSC04187.jpg

Fuses were slightly corroded and couple of terminals were loose

Wire brush and contact cleaner helped. Brushed and filed the loose connections.

20110803134423DSC04190.jpg

Hood was stuck and grease solidified, so cleaned and new grease for the hood lock

20110803134653DSC04194.jpg

Check the linkage

20110803134658DSC04195.jpg

spring was missing, got another from a 320 pickup

20110803134708DSC04197.jpg

Linkage was working correctly, but hood still would not pop up

20110803134714DSC04198.jpg

This was the problem, took it off and repositioned it, now it works

20110803135400DSC04202.jpg

410s used a mix of metric and standard fasteners, this had little bolts instead of the original ones. I got one of the originals back in.

Fuel hose looked OK and still soft, but was cracked, so out it comes

20110803150215DSC04205.jpg

New hose in

20110803150249DSC04207.jpg

Plug-type filler cap!

20110803150637DSC04208.jpg

After some gas, and some starting fluid it Lives!

20110803153856DSC04211.jpg

The old autocross tires have seen better days

20110803155053DSC04216.jpg

• Like 2

Not caged, but it has an SCCA sticker on it, so call it good. Here's what Tana said: "I autocrossed it for nearly 5 years and won my class in 1992 with it." More proof that it is possible to have fun (and win) without spending a ton of money.

Did I hear "moar"? Or was that my cat?

On the third time out there, time to get the lights working. The headlight relay wasn't working, neither low nor high beams were working.

Narrowed it down to this, some contact cleaner worked:

20110817140803DSC04727.jpg

One headlight still wouldn't work. Pulled this connector apart, spray cleaner on it and pushed it back together. Headlights now work

20110817140815DSC04728.jpg

Here's the mighty E1 1200cc, new heater hose and new battery

20110817140824DSC04729.jpg

Dash Turn signals didn't work, cleaned contacts for one and replaced the other burned out bulb.

You can see the bulb twist-holder on top of the dash there

20110817140857DSC04730.jpg

This rear turn signal bulb was burned out. It had two tiny screws like sunglass screws holding the bulb holder to the back side (in the trunk)

20110817140908DSC04731.jpg

Now that lights are all working, take a closer look at the brakes. It seems the Master Cylinder would not pump up, although the pushrod clearance was verified good.

Time for a new kit.

20110817152400DSC04740.jpg

(Also need to swap the F and R reservoirs)

So Tana will get the kit, and have the tires changed. I think they are Mazda wheels?

• Like 2

It's a 2-door!!!

Wish I knew how to weld, I'd weld up the rocker panels on the 410 then cut the top off and weld up the back doors ... I hope Tana doesn't read this...

I found this:

Datsun 410 convertibles created for victory parade after 1966 Safari Rally

http://www.datsunhistory.com/510history1.html

410conv.jpg

[and] used during the Tokyo Olympic Games

http://www.earlydatsun.com/datsun4101965.html

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I have never seen a 2 door, not very many in the US I bet. Yep, had lots of fun autocross racing. I had stiffer shocks, Weber carb, 5 pt harness and front brakes switched to disc from a 67 411 SSS, so it would go, stop and turn better. Now I have to get the wheels sand blasted or such so I can paint them and then put on the new tires I already have. Running out of money for a couple of weeks. Can't wait to be driving it again.

• Like 1

I have never seen a 2 door, not very many in the US I bet. Yep, had lots of fun autocross racing. I had stiffer shocks, Weber carb, 5 pt harness and front brakes switched to disc from a 67 411 SSS, so it would go, stop and turn better. Now I have to get the wheels sand blasted or such so I can paint them and then put on the new tires I already have. Running out of money for a couple of weeks. Can't wait to be driving it again.

i would doubt there are any 2 doors in the us as they never got imported. they would have to be personally imported and a 411 would lose out to a 510 coupe almost always if someone were to bring a datsun.

• Like 1

i would doubt there are any 2 doors in the us as they never got imported. they would have to be personally imported and a 411 would lose out to a 510 coupe almost always if someone were to bring a datsun.

A practical problem in locating a 2 door 411 in the USA is that the "only" way I can see to get one to the USA would have been for a GI stationed in Japan or Okinawa [they were not the same then] to import one on return from overseas. Unfortunately, at that time polution controls were just being implemented so the US Government put a freeze on shipping foreign autos and trucks back as returning property. Net result, you could buy a US export version for delivery to an authorized dealer near your next stateside duty station, you couldn't buy it in Japan or Okinawa and have it shipped. I ran into this when I was looking to bring a car home. I gave up and bought a Corvair instead, good car!

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

She had it listed for sale about 3-6 months ago, You might have better luck sending her a private message as I am not sure she is on the site much, You might be able to look back in the classifieds and see if there is a contact number. I know she is more active with the "NW Datsun enthusiasts" group, might have better luck tracking her down there.

• Like 2
  • 11 months later...

No, that was my very own PL 410 that I had owned since 1976 that I sold last year.  I have very poor health now, that most likely will not get much better so I have had to sell my Datsuns and still selling small early Datsun parts when I can. 

Tana, really happy to hear that you are close to driving the vintage sedan again. That has to be some good therapy for you. I know that when I make noise in one of the old machines burning up some non-ethanol gas, it always makes my day better.

BTW, the rebuilt starter that I got from you is firing off the little E1 in our 320 pickup really well. It made the first movements under it's own power a week or so ago. I can now move 'Mighty Mouse' in and out of the shop and around the place. Gotta finish up the engine room wiring re-do and put insurance back on and he's pretty much road ready. Won't be long till he's terrorizing the streets  in middle-America again. Be safe and enjoy the 410.

Steve

• 1 month later...

Tana, really happy to hear that you are close to driving the vintage sedan again. That has to be some good therapy for you. I know that when I make noise in one of the old machines burning up some non-ethanol gas, it always makes my day better.

Steve

Steve,

In the post before yours, Tana mentioned she had sold her 410 last year (2015). I believe it's new home is in Canada. 

Tana no longer has any Datsun vehicles although she still comes across parts to sell from her dwindling inventory.

• Like 1