Bad pilot bushing,,,HELP!

Bears510

Ok...so I am pretty sure my pilot bushing is heading south as there is an occasional squealing sound when I press the clutch in and sitting still (such as sitting in my driveway or at a light). When I let the clutch out it stops...It started a couple weeks ago but would only do it when it was cold and go away after I got going a bit. I could drive all day and it would not do it again (heat expansion I guess) I haven't had the time to fix it so I haven't been driving it much but have the time to replace it today as it's starting to do it more. I got the bushing but nowhere in any of the manuals I have does it say to oil or grease the pilot bushing. I know some "oilite" bushings don't require it but from what I have read, that is only for a pure brass/bronze oilite bushing and the info on all the bushings I looked up said nothing of the nature of the bushing. Some info says soak it in oil over night, some don't and I think that depends on if it's an oilite or not...ACK! Being that it is right there near the clutch, I am assuming you don't just slather grease all over it as it could get on the clutch and then there are even more issues.......

This is for the stock 4 spd tranny and L16 in my 69 510, clutch is new and If I remember correctly, the pilot bushing was replaced then so who knows why it went out so quickly.

so....grease? no grease? if so...what kind?

any suggestions would be GREAT!!!

THANKS in advance!

• Like 1
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt it's the pilot bushing and much more likely it's the release bearing.

If you replace the pilot bushing and have the tranny out anyway, get and replace the release bearing too. Be sure to pack it with wheel grease as I believe they come dry so the buyer can use his preferred grease. The old one is likely dry and rough to spin by hand and probably wasn't replaced when the tranny was out last or if it was, wasn't greased. Always replace... it's cheap $20 insurance against doing what you are doing today.

Take a big blob of grease in the palm of your hand and press the bearing into it in a scooping motion . The intent is to press grease into and around the roller bearings inside. Wipe off excess grease so it won't be flung off onto the clutch and press new bearing onto the collar.

bearing1.jpg

0900c1528007a4b7.jpg

pg11image01.jpg

Now the pilot bushing.... They are made of sintered bronze. This is a bronze powder that is compressed under thousands of pounds pressure and heated to bond it together in the finished shape. It is also impregnated with oil so do not oil or grease it further, it's ready to go. To get the old one out I use a small 6" chisel or screwdriver and split them down their length in several places and fish out the chunks. They are quite soft and easy to get out. Tap the new one in by placing a wooden block over it to protect it.

THANKS Mike! to my rescue once again!

I thought that it might be the release bearing but wouldn't it make noise every time the clutch is used? this only does it when I am at a standstill and press the clutch. as soon as I let the clutch out and the car starts going, it stops. never when going to second third or forth. (oh to have a fifth gear!!! lol) . only first and reverse from a dead stop..so I figured pilot bushing as that's the only time the input shaft is not spinning at the same speed as the flywheel. Also, it doesn't do it right away even at a standstill...kinda like press the clutch...releases the clutch disk which is splined to the disk...the input shaft starts to slow down to a different speed then the flywheel...then it does it...until I engage it even just a little which gets the input shaft back up to speed...

wow..if anyone can make sense out of all that gibberish....I got a case of beer for you! lol!

The release bearing is under load and spinning any time the clutch peddle is down and engine running.

The pilot bushing is not moving in relation to the input spline any time the clutch peddle is up. (clutch engaged)

Either can have intermittent noise when spinning. Change the release bearing anyway just to be safe.

Mike- on point as always!

chances are that this is a throwout bearing issue, however, I have burned through 2 pilot bushings in my ka.

It was characterized by a vibration/buzzing upon deceleration as soon as the clutch was pushed in.

this little do-dad solved my problem! :)

http://www.thenismos...roduct_id=12214

it_needlebearing.jpg

The release bearing was replaced when the clutch was about 8k ago and greased...but your right....(as always) might as well replace it too while its out just to be on the safe side!

THANKS again!!!

I was looking for a needle bearing for mine...but couldn't seem to track any down...any idea if that's the same size needed for the stock engine/tranny for the dime?

• 2 years later...

Now the pilot bushing.... They are made of sintered bronze. This is a bronze powder that is compressed under thousands of pounds pressure and heated to bond it together in the finished shape. It is also impregnated with oil so do not oil or grease it further, it's ready to go. To get the old one out I use a small 6" chisel or screwdriver and split them down their length in several places and fish out the chunks. They are quite soft and easy to get out. Tap the new one in by placing a wooden block over it to protect it.

Yeah...my FSM (1983 720) makes no mention of any grease for the pilot bushing

But......the new bushings these days are not bronze.

Soooo.....I'm assuming I should lube it up a bit with some white grease?????

Hey man, If you are looking to redo your clutch I have a complete clutch kit available including a new pilot bushing, also comes with a brand new Exedy Made in japan pressure plate, which will give you a stock pedal feel, but has more clamping force than the stock clutch kit. I'm only looking to get $80 shipped for the whole thing, I bought an OS giken clutch kit, so I'm not going to be using it anymore. The same new clutch kit would run you $110 at Autoparts stores, let me know if you are interested and I can send you pics. Clutch is 225mm btw, if that's the size you need.

• 3 weeks later...

I doubt it's the pilot bushing and much more likely it's the release bearing. If you replace the pilot bushing and have the tranny out anyway, get and replace the release bearing too. Be sure to pack it with wheel grease as I believe they come dry so the buyer can use his preferred grease. The old one is likely dry and rough to spin by hand and probably wasn't replaced when the tranny was out last or if it was, wasn't greased. Always replace... it's cheap $20 insurance against doing what you are doing today. Take a big blob of grease in the palm of your hand and press the bearing into it in a scooping motion . The intent is to press grease into and around the roller bearings inside. Wipe off excess grease so it won't be flung off onto the clutch and press new bearing onto the collar.bearing1.jpg0900c1528007a4b7.jpgpg11image01.jpgNow the pilot bushing.... They are made of sintered bronze. This is a bronze powder that is compressed under thousands of pounds pressure and heated to bond it together in the finished shape. It is also impregnated with oil so do not oil or grease it further, it's ready to go. To get the old one out I use a small 6" chisel or screwdriver and split them down their length in several places and fish out the chunks. They are quite soft and easy to get out. Tap the new one in by placing a wooden block over it to protect it.

I'm with Mike on this, my guess is the throughout bearing that pushes on the pressure plate fingers when you push in the clutch peddle the bearing engages and makes a noise.