510 or 240

Mr. Fawkes

Hey guys,

I'm new here so I'm hoping I'm not going to set anyone off, just trying to start off on the right foot. I've been looking at building up a nice Datsun, but I can't quite decide which I would rather go with. I'm stuck between a two door 510 with a turbo ka24 or a 240z with a rb25. If anyone could give me some insight on what they've done in the past with these cars, as I'm sure someone has gone the same route before, or even a kind "welcome" I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, i see your local. Welcome. both are somewhat equal.

240z.... 11.8lbs per HP with RB25DE (200ish HP).........http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_RB_engine

510 ... 10lbs per HP with KA24DET (227 HP at 6 psi)...http://www.ka24development.com/dyno_charts.html

Hey, i see your local. Welcome. both are somewhat equal.

240z.... 11.8lbs per HP with RB25DE (200ish HP).........http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_RB_engine

510 ... 10lbs per HP with KA24DET (227 HP at 6 psi)...http://www.ka24development.com/dyno_charts.html

Thanks, yeah I was thinking the end result would be pretty similar if I kept them relatively stock but who knows how long that would last (wink wink). for the 510 I was thinking:

-ka24de

-individual throttle bodies (yes I know this would be a project in itself and I would likely keep it this way for a while until the turbo build started)

-custom intake plenum around itb's

-t25 or t28

-fmic

-370cc injectors

-maybe a n62 maf

-a nice tune on nistune or a piggyback apexi neo, some sort of management

-other mods (exhaust, fuel pump, etc)

-looking for around 250-275whp

I think if I got a reasable tune I would be able to keep the ka alive with the turbo for a while or I could fortify the bottom end and get a better turbo if I'm willing to dish out the cash.

for the z I was thinking:

-rb25det

-injector upgrade if needed

-new turbo manifold

-maybe a gt3076r or t3/t4

-greddy intake mani

-fmic

-a supporting tune

-looking for 350-400whp

Now, I realize the z would be more expensive in the long run, but I simply can't get over how lovely the rb series is. I also have a love for the 510 so I'm hoping someone can help me out here. The ideal scenario is I build one now and build the other someday later in life and live like a fat and happy car admirer, but that's not too realistic. I hope someone can give me a hand, thanks guys.

Thanks, yeah I was thinking the end result would be pretty similar if I kept them relatively stock but who knows how long that would last (wink wink). for the 510 I was thinking:

-ka24de

-individual throttle bodies (yes I know this would be a project in itself and I would likely keep it this way for a while until the turbo build started)

-custom intake plenum around itb's

-t25 or t28

-fmic

-370cc injectors

-maybe a n62 maf

-a nice tune on nistune or a piggyback apexi neo, some sort of management

-other mods (exhaust, fuel pump, etc)

-looking for around 250-275whp

I think if I got a reasable tune I would be able to keep the ka alive with the turbo for a while or I could fortify the bottom end and get a better turbo if I'm willing to dish out the cash.

for the z I was thinking:

-rb25det

-injector upgrade if needed

-new turbo manifold

-maybe a gt3076r or t3/t4

-greddy intake mani

-fmic

-a supporting tune

-looking for 350-400whp

Now, I realize the z would be more expensive in the long run, but I simply can't get over how lovely the rb series is. I also have a love for the 510 so I'm hoping someone can help me out here. The ideal scenario is I build one now and build the other someday later in life and live like a fat and happy car admirer, but that's not too realistic. I hope someone can give me a hand, thanks guys.

i suggest tuning the ECU yourself, its actually fairly easy with Nissan once you get all the hardware and software you need. and if you screw up its all a matter of replacing the ECU.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Its all personal preference,myself 510s all the way,and they are not a dime a dozen anymore, 15 years ago yes they were sort of, now they are attracting all kinds of peeps,where I am there are my 3 and "maybe" 1 or 2 more, mine get so much attention I have to add a few minutes anytime I go out,for the bullshit sessions people want to talk about the 510s.

all3510s002.jpg

My babys :cool:

i suggest tuning the ECU yourself, its actually fairly easy with Nissan once you get all the hardware and software you need. and if you screw up its all a matter of replacing the ECU.

If I was prepared accordingly I would give it a try, but I would definitely want some help just in case lol.

Its all personal preference,myself 510s all the way,and they are not a dime a dozen anymore, 15 years ago yes they were sort of, now they are attracting all kinds of peeps,where I am there are my 3 and "maybe" 1 or 2 more, mine get so much attention I have to add a few minutes anytime I go out,for the bullshit sessions people want to talk about the 510s.

Oh yeah, believe me, I love the 510s, I'm not biased either way between the 510 or z cars, I'm just caught between choosing which I am going to devote to. (beautiful collection you got there by the way)

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Oh yeah, believe me, I love the 510s, I'm not biased either way between the 510 or z cars, I'm just caught between choosing which I am going to devote to. (beautiful collection you got there by the way)

It is a hard choice,depends on what you want to do, 510s can haul a buch of stuff/people and get there quick enough, I can pull(with a L motor) 1st rubber,2nd bit of rubber,3rd chirp fully loaded(4 adults) :lol:

Thanks,they is family.

It is a hard choice,depends on what you want to do, 510s can haul a buch of stuff/people and get there quick enough, I can pull(with a L motor) 1st rubber,2nd bit of rubber,3rd chirp fully loaded(4 adults) :lol:

Thanks,they is family.

Wow! mellow.gif With the l series in it? That's pretty cool...dat power-to-weight ratio...

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Wow! mellow.gif With the l series in it? That's pretty cool...dat power-to-weight ratio...

Yep all L power :blink: :cool: :lol:

The L made 510s what they are today, Its old school, but I like it.

Nice 240 btw

my240.jpg

Here's my baby. 1992 240sx se super hicas model (with super hicas delete), intake, dual n1 3" exhaust and a whole lot of memories. It's eager for a supercharged vh45 swap, but here in California, that's a no-no.

Why the HICAS delete? and Commiefornia is good for that, but there are ways if you have money.... best not to mention it on here though. i want to do the 56, just cause i probably can. Either way the VH45/VK56 are fucking screaming monsters once you add forced induction in the 5-7 psi range. i'm curious what 15+ psi would do.

also consider this

a KA 510 would be a whole lot cheaper to build then an RB z car since both the RB and the Z car are more expencive then the KA and 510 it really depends on which car you like more if given the choice i would go z car over a 510 because you have a much wider range of things avalable for a z car

Guest 510kamikazifreak

also consider this

a KA 510 would be a whole lot cheaper to build then an RB z car since both the RB and the Z car are more expencive then the KA and 510 it really depends on which car you like more if given the choice i would go z car over a 510 because you have a much wider range of things avalable for a z car

He is a 610 owner..

the step child 510 :P :P :lol: :lol:

Yep all L power :blink: :cool: :lol:

The L made 510s what they are today, Its old school, but I like it.

Nice 240 btw

Wow, nice dude. I was considering building the l engine in the 510, but I'm more familiar with the ka so I figured it would be a good idea to stick with it.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Wow, nice dude. I was considering building the l engine in the 510, but I'm more familiar with the ka so I figured it would be a good idea to stick with it.

That is where preference comes in :cool:

Im old school, I have driven them for years all L power,I want to cross the path someday but not until L stuff runs dry :o Sure hope that does not happen :blink:

KA 510s pull strong,I have read and heard that when they get the tick its the death tick? :unsure:

You know KA like I know L,and you would benefit with a KA for sure,Like I do with L :cool:

Looking foreward to the project you decide to go with :cool:

also consider this

i like the 510 and the z pretty much equally, and the 610 is cool too (mad love for hatchbacks)

both cars would be awesome to have and either would make me happy

He is a 610 owner..

the step child 510 :P :P :lol: :lol:

the 610 is essentially the same as the 510 right? It's just hatchback form?

Guest 510kamikazifreak

the 610 is essentially the same as the 510 right? It's just hatchback form?

610s are a bit bigger(more roomy/luxury)the suspension is all the same,rumour has it 610 springs are "stiffer" I have driven both,and also installed 610 springs in a 510 no difference that I could notice,so leave the "rumour " as that :lol:

All Dattos are cool, and I respect all the same way,just personal preference,I have owned 1200,210,510,610,710,620,521. Always had a 510 :cool:

That is where preference comes in :cool:

Im old school, I have driven them for years all L power,I want to cross the path someday but not until L stuff runs dry :o Sure hope that does not happen :blink:

KA 510s pull strong,I have read and heard that when they get the tick its the death tick? :unsure:

You know KA like I know L,and you would benefit with a KA for sure,Like I do with L :cool:

Looking foreward to the project you decide to go with :cool:

The tick ka24s tend to get is the upper timing chain guide getting worn (Nissan even said it isn't even necessary in there), but I don't think that would be a death tick, just annoying at idle, mine even has it dry.gif

I'm content with the torque of the ka in my 240 so I can only imagine what it'd be like in the 510 tongue.gif

Guest 510kamikazifreak

The tick ka24s tend to get is the upper timing chain guide getting worn (Nissan even said it isn't even necessary in there), but I don't think that would be a death tick, just annoying at idle, mine even has it dry.gif

I'm content with the torque of the ka in my 240 so I can only imagine what it'd be like in the 510 tongue.gif

Yeh I am not too familiar with KA,But I do know it make decent power :cool:

Then there is SR / VG..

610s are a bit bigger(more roomy/luxury)the suspension is all the same,rumour has it 610 springs are "stiffer" I have driven both,and also installed 610 springs in a 510 no difference that I could notice,so leave the "rumour " as that :lol:

All Dattos are cool, and I respect all the same way,just personal preference,I have owned 1200,210,510,610,710,620,521. Always had a 510 :cool:

Oh wow, nice man, that's awesome. The 240 has been my only car so far, but apparently there have been a bunch of Datsuns floating throughout my family over the years, grandma had a z (passed away) and other grandma had a 610 (living life like a 10 year old) so I wouldn't mind carrying on the family tradition. Except mine will be much more awesome laugh.gif

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Oh wow, nice man, that's awesome. The 240 has been my only car so far, but apparently there have been a bunch of Datsuns floating throughout my family over the years, grandma had a z (passed away) and other grandma had a 610 (living life like a 10 year old) so I wouldn't mind carrying on the family tradition. Except mine will be much more awesome laugh.gif

:hyper: :hyper:

they are all awesomer :thumbup:

510 > 240

simple math

That made me chuckle, you do have a point.

Yeh I am not too familiar with KA,But I do know it make decent power :cool:

Then there is SR / VG..

The other engines I was thinking of for the 510 were the ca18det, the sr20det and the ka24 with the itb and turbo, but I like my whole ka plan. I just wouldn't feel comfortable with a v6 in the 510, seems like it should keep its 4 cylinder heritage.