510 rear disc conversion brake issues/problems

motoliam

I wouldn't be surprised if you have to get a proportioning valve with the stock 510 MC.

I have 280ZX front brakes, Maxima rear calipers with 200SX rotors, 15/16" 280ZX MC and the brake balance is great.

I run an identical setup except i use a 7/8" master form an '80 200SX, works fantastically, Rear brakes are mounted upside down like the EDP pic from page 1.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you recommend the 1980 200sx Brake Cylinder instead of the 280z? and why mount the calipers upside down? is that how they should be mounted for better results?

I currently have 280z fronts and just got the Maxima rear... so I want to upgrade my master cylinder also. Witch master cylinder is recommended without a brake booster?

Would either the 280zx Master 15/16 or the '80 200sz Master 7/8 will work fine or is one better than the other?

• 4 years later...

1979-81 280ZX, 15/16" bore, moves more fluid, faster with considerably more effort. You need to push harder.

1980-81 200ZX, 7/8 Bore, more pedal travel, but less effort required. Both have the proper line placement and bolt pattern. 

If you like leg day for braking, go with 15/16, if you like things a little easier, go 7/8"

I put a 7/16 on my wife's 13/16 (or 3/4?) 710 and the effort was surprisingly more. It was also an automatic so you had to use a lot of brake. The brakes worked just fine but it was solid like a brick and hardly any travel. Now this was with the stock caliper and the master was all I could find in my parts pile. If also moving to a larger caliper this evens it out. My 710 goon is 15/16" and Maxima calipers and I friggin' love the brakes.