Just bought a 64 Volvo, what was I thinking?

I originally was suppose to help a friend out with his car, the 64 Volvo. He said it did run but it had been in a garage for 7 years. Well after he got it out of the garage, he realized it was more of a project than he wanted to deal with. He mentioned that he was going to scrap the old Volvo. I decided to give him the scrap price for it and take the 2 hr one way trip to pick it up.

It had to be winched onto the trailer but I messed with it some and actually drove it off the trailer.

2011-08-14201223.jpg

2011-08-14201211.jpg

2011-08-14201200.jpg

2011-08-14201149.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It has a 2L motor instead of the 1.8L. The 2L looks to been injected because it still has the injectors. It has dual carbs on it, I'm not real familar with dual carb setups so I don't know what they are, proabaly su carbs if I was to guess.

It has a 2L motor instead of the 1.8L. The 2L looks to been injected because it still has the injectors. It has dual carbs on it, I'm not real familar with dual carb setups so I don't know what they are, proabaly su carbs if I was to guess.

was it swapped in? cause i thought the 2 liter wasn't introduced untill 69?

It's perfect! :)

My sister has one same year. I came home from the hospital in a 122s. My dad raced Volvos, restored Volvos, always had 'em around. I remember once there were 5 544s in the back yard in various states.

Looks pretty complete on the outside. Trim looks like it's mostly there too. Let's see under the hood! They'd go crazy for the parts there in CA and elsewhere.

Volvos are great - bomber built, bottom end like Detroit iron, reliable as hell once you get 'em running. Rule in our house was never slam the doors on a Volvo. It's wrong.

Good luck with your project.

Nice score, I love this body style! There are two in decent shape within about two miles of our house that I gawk at regularly.

It was pretty classic one day. I drove by in our 521, and while I was gawking at his Volvo in his driveway, the owner of it was on his front porch gawking at my truck. Gotta love the appreciation going each way :lol:

Well after looking over underneath, it needs alot of work. Its about the same condition my 63 Mercury wagon is, rusty floor boards, etc. I got the brakes to work by putting a plug in the rear splitter. The line that goes across the rear end was blown.

2011-08-16202840.jpg

2011-08-16202730.jpg

2011-08-16202703.jpg

2011-08-16202617.jpg

2011-08-16202557.jpg

2011-08-16202549.jpg

2011-08-16202504.jpg

Well I put about 150 miles on the Volvo. It was mostly running on 3 cylinders the whole time. I did a compression test and it hit over 120lbs so I figured it should run. I decided to swap a plug and wire on the cylinder that wasn't running. That fixed the problem, I wish I tried that at first. As for the brakes, it needs alot of work. It looks to need everything, rotors, pads, calipers, in front and everything for the drums in the rear. I also have to replace a rear line because it is rusty and leaking. I have the splitter in the back caped off so it wouldn't leak. It has the suicide brakes, on bottle master cylinder. On the rear end, the trailing arms are rusted off which makes it drive weird under accelerating. The floorboards and spots of the subframe need attention. Even though in needs alot of work, I'm seriously considering fixing it up, especially now that its running better. I also got pull its own gas from the gas tank but the fuel gauge don't work.

Oh and I just figured out its not a 1964, Its a 1966 according to the old insurance papers.

Last Friday I drove the car to the bar where the guy I bought it from was performing. He was unloading his equipment when I pulled in. The expression on his face was funny.

IMG_0788.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0796.jpg

IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg

IMG_0800.jpg

IMG_0801.jpg

IMG_0802.jpg

buncha pics of classic Volvo driver

Hell yes! Looks like a road warrior. Especially with those rear wheels. Awesome to drive the seller's "scrap" to his gig.

For sure all you need is the left front headlight trim. Maybe paint buff. Yep. And nothing else! :P

Those Volvo speedos are the best. As a kid, I always wondered how far the red arrow retracted into the dash.

I have the headlight trim, its in the back seat... I have to do some major repairs under neath before I can drive it much more. The trailing arms on the rear end are rusted completely off, just the two main ones are there. It drives a little weird under accelerating. Also I have to go threw the brakes and some engine gaskets. It leaks a ton of oil, like a quart every 50 miles. Also floor boards and subframe is rotted. Its sad on the under side.

I'm seriously thinking of restoring it, probably pay someone to redo the underside. A guy did a complete frame rebuild in the rear of a Kia Sportage for $400 and a Jeep Wrangler for $600. I'm thinking I can get my Volvo done for $1000 or less. After everything brakes, gaskets, and underside, I'd have about $1500 into it. Its probably worth it.