lower gears? 720 4x4

ronnny

just looking around and found a few people talk about 5.14 gears in thier 720 4x4. From what i read some have swaped to a 233 rear from a newer model. I can not remember the brand name but said 2 different brands through nismo to ge some gears. My question straight and easy is " what is the easiest/cheapest way to get lower gears in your 720?". Thanks Ronny By the way no tag on my 720 4x4 yet but able to drive up and down the road. Been working and other going on to get to far at working on it.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe you have the C200 rear and 4.11 gears? Some early D-21s with 4 cylinder motors had 4.375 You would need the matching front R-180 gear set to match.

If willing to swap the rear axle assy and driveshaft, look for an '80 long bed 4x4. The rear axle is an H-190, front is R-180 and the gear ratio is 4.625.

Thanks for the replys. Sorry about not getting back with a response. but still have been looking around.

Yes i do have the c200 rear and 180 combo with 4.10 gears. with 28.5" tires it does climb and play aroud my yard nicely. I have not had it down by the creek. But with the driver side not even having a boot on the cv shaft and the passenger side is cut both are sure to be working on no good. With a little trimming and cranking it will fit bigger tires a little easier and the 4.1 gears will not like much bigger tires. Most toyotas have 4.10 gears in the 4x4 models stock. A lot of old wagoneers are the same but have the dana 44s front and rear. Looking around on the net cv axles for out truck are about 80 bucks a piece. I was just wondering for those that have went to lower gears or a sas what the have done and might have invested in thier truck. Still just looking to get what information i can on all of this. Of course for now i will grease my joints and seal them up some way and get by for many months i am sure. I might need to rebuild the carb but other than that my 400 buck 720 is ready for the road. It isnot bad to look at although it is not great either but with a sliding back glass and sun roof with lots of other options that came on these st models it should be fun to drive. Hope to get a tag on it next week.