Kids car seats in datsuns

Hey guys im having a little issue. My 4yr old son allways wants to ride in the "datsun car" his words, But I can never get his car seat tight enough in my 4 door 510. so he never gets to ride unless its in the neigborhood :(. has anyone had this problem and come up with a solution? open to any good ideas. Was thinking about pulling back seat and welding mounts for seat latches but seems kind of extreme...... thanks guys..

• Like 1
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple of comments here:

1. if you've seen how the LATCH system works, the mounts are pretty small (found on most new cars) would be relatively easy to adapt to the seat.

2. Make a piece of S shaped metal to act as a belt tensioner to increase the tightness.

3. Read this and despair: http://www.freakonom.../tag/car-seats/

4. Your post actually made me remember riding in Datsun's when I was 4 or 5. My Dad had a B110 and my mom a 4 door 510. Rode in the back in both with the standard belt, but of course no one knew any better in those days :lol:

5. Don't worry about it too much, and belt in the car seat as well as possible. Also no airbags, so they could ride in front too. It's an old car, the kid doesn't ride in it every day, and life is too short to worry about every contingency sometimes.

I had my 4 year old nephew in the back of my car the other day. drove pretty far too. My sister said the deal here is the weight. if the back seat has shoulder belts then they need a booster seat but if its just a lap thing it depends on their weight. (no car seat required)

I have no problem with my daughters car seat in my 2dr 510. Try putting your knee in the car seat and tightening it that way, I got it pretty tight that way.

yeah the knee in the seat works pretty good but its the side to side movment im worried about. my rear bench just has way to much spring to it. not to be anal lutz but my rear bench is factory perfect!!!!!! crushing the shite out of it for the car seat there has to be a better solution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

ive got no back seats, my nephew said i shouldnt get backseats since he would have to sit in the back. he doesnt want to sit in the back. he has a booster seat with a back. and i buckled him in just fine. he love riding my datsun, with the rat hangin from my rear.

Or you could do what my dad did. He had a caged street 510 2dr when I was a baby. Well he bought one of those mini simpson baby seats and bolted it down where the rear seats used to be. I have to see if I can find a picture of my little self in the seat.

I had the same issue with my 4 door dime and my sons car seat. I put it in, got it as tight as i could, then reclined the front seat into his car seat as tight as i could. Anything i could do to keep it tight, but like u said...its that damn side to side movement. I finally welded in lil pieces for that clamp system.

I had the same issue with my 4 door dime and my sons car seat. I put it in, got it as tight as i could, then reclined the front seat into his car seat as tight as i could. Anything i could do to keep it tight, but like u said...its that damn side to side movement. I finally welded in lil pieces for that clamp system.

what did you do about the upper strap, where did you bolt the latch, rear deck?

• Like 1

its amazing i know never wore belts as a kid lol......

The's the problem with this society. All the dumb little fuckers have the world "made safe" around them and they don't end up getting Darwin Stamped.

When we were kids, you had to be smart. Want to ride on the rear window deck? You learn how the hell to make your own hand holds.

The kids that turned into meat missiles in a crash? Encouragement for the rest of us to get smarter and more resourceful.

Idiocracy isn't a movie, it's a documentary.

I little trick I use to keep the car seat from tearing up a nice seat and keeping it in place that works pretty good, is I took a old couch cousion, and cut it up and put it under the car seat works pretty well, and the kid gets to be able to see out the windows better!

I little trick I use to keep the car seat from tearing up a nice seat and keeping it in place that works pretty good, is I took a old couch cousion, and cut it up and put it under the car seat works pretty well, and the kid gets to be able to see out the windows better!

sounds coo l and easy will try thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAS ALSO thinkin about a carpet rapped board to disribute the weight and pressure evenly.

^ Ok you need to think, yah thats a great idea and all. But do you forget the force being impacted creates when in a good wreck? Enough to slide that seat no matter how tight it is latched down and cause that cushion, or whatever you put under it to slide just enough where it puts your kid in harms way. You dont want that seat to move AT ALL, not even a cm. With a good enough impact that shit could fly out from underneath, or cause the carseat to move just enough where it losens and your kid goes flying. Even ask the fire department, putting anything underneath the seat to tighten it is stupid. I dont care how safe you think it is, but its not. Come on its your kids safety, you either do it right or yoru kid doesnt ride in the fucking car.

• Like 1

^ Ok you need to think, yah thats a great idea and all. But do you forget the force being impacted creates when in a good wreck? Enough to slide that seat no matter how tight it is latched down and cause that cushion, or whatever you put under it to slide just enough where it puts your kid in harms way. You dont want that seat to move AT ALL, not even a cm. With a good enough impact that shit could fly out from underneath, or cause the carseat to move just enough where it losens and your kid goes flying. Even ask the fire department, putting anything underneath the seat to tighten it is stupid. I dont care how safe you think it is, but its not. Come on its your kids safety, you either do it right or yoru kid doesnt ride in the fucking car.

IM not fucking stupid bro thats why he dosrent ride in the dime you got pics to help me? lotz of ideas no real solutions im fucking 35 not 21 not my first fucking rodeo so dont act so holy unless you have teenagers? I do. SHE lived through my 12.8 second 92 hardbody pick up. I posted for advice not insultz.................

not cool............ was just throwin out ideas thought thats whats ratsun was about.. guess not.

• Like 3

Woah Woah Woah hold your fucking horses buddy. First i wasnt insulting your ass, i was posting common sense, if i was calling anyone a fucking idiot it was the guy who posted before you. So you say your 35 yet go off like a pissed off prom princess who doesnt get her lil crown. Well cork it. Ive dealt with worse and bigger ass holes in my life than some guy whos 35 and cant figure out how to get his kids car seat to fucking fit after 35 years of supposebly being into cars.

So next time actually read the damn post instead of thinking i was attacking you when i was not, i was stating facts about why NOT to do that, but if your not willing to listen to ADVICE and get so pissey at things so easily, then take your ass and get off our fucking forum. We dont need people who get pissed off at the first post of sane advice to NOT STICK A FUCKING BOARD OR CUSHION UNDER YOUR KIDS FUCKIGN CAR SEAT, and get pissey with the reply.

You know what, i think the skib needs to come in here and send someone on a vacation to learn some manners.

I would like to give a thanks to my short temper when i take my medicine to sleep, and the public foundation for fuck the fuck off you fucking fuck for tonights post.

• Like 2

Woah Woah Woah hold your fucking horses buddy. First i wasnt insulting your ass, i was posting common sense, if i was calling anyone a fucking idiot it was the guy who posted before you. So you say your 35 yet go off like a pissed off prom princess who doesnt get her lil crown. Well cork it. Ive dealt with worse and bigger ass holes in my life than some guy whos 35 and cant figure out how to get his kids car seat to fucking fit after 35 years of supposebly being into cars.

So next time actually read the damn post instead of thinking i was attacking you when i was not, i was stating facts about why NOT to do that, but if your not willing to listen to ADVICE and get so pissey at things so easily, then take your ass and get off our fucking forum. We dont need people who get pissed off at the first post of sane advice to NOT STICK A FUCKING BOARD OR CUSHION UNDER YOUR KIDS FUCKIGN CAR SEAT, and get pissey with the reply. And stating your age, and how you have a teen and all that shit, is that supposed to make me automaticaly respect you? Just because your older, and have more kids than me, does not make you a good father, or better than me in any way.

Obviously your kid shouldnt ride in the dime if you cant figure shit out, so i guess your shit out of luck, enjoy your day, sit and spin, and fucking fuck off. Dick.

You know what, i think the skib needs to come in here and send someone on a vacation to learn some manners, and not get so butt hurt over a freaking post about common sense when it comes down to your child. I cant wait to log on in the morning, grab my morning paper, and cup of joe, and look at your response, because im sure it will be quite hilarious to read with whatever threats you may try to throw out there. Its people like you who get into datsuns, and jump to conclusions that bring our groups down. So speak whatever shit you want about me, because heres a lil bit of advice for you since you asked for some.

I

Dont

GIVE A RATSUNASS

I would like to give a thanks to my short temper when i take my medicine to sleep, and the public foundation for fuck the fuck off you fucking fuck for tonights post.

damn dan, if you get so damn angry on your meds, maybe you should step away from the computer at night. dont take it out on everybody. nobody was gettin upset til you exploded.

I edited to take some things out. But seriously, did my post sound like i was attacking him? in any freaking way, i was stating something of common sense to not hurt your kid, and it wasnt even to him but the guy that posted that whole cushion idea in the first damn place.

Ohio if you would of pm'd me, been nice, and said you think my post was attacking you i would of explained, but to come on, call me out, mention that your 35 which must mean you are that much smarter than me (which truthfully age and how many kids you have means more than lil shit to me in all honesty) and make a ass of yourself which could of all been handled in a pm. Thanks for the great night on here, its what i love logging into. You mention about ratsun not turning into a place like this, but look in the mirror buddy.

• Like 2