aluminum x member

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Neat, but why? The stock piece is not that heavy to begin with and who really sees that piece of your car?

Looks like it uses the stock KA/SR motor mounts which might be a nice thing, plus for the guys that want it you have the 'oh look at that' factor. I'll stick to flipping mine.

Installing an Aluminum cross member to a steel body is begging for electrolytic corrosion! Dump goes the cross member! You would need to install intermediate washers of less than 0.25 volts on the Electromotive Series of Metals [look it up in any High School Physics book] in order to make this a safe install. Military Standards [MILSTD] used to cover this with an exact sequence of metalic washers to install between the steel and Aluminum but it has been too many years to recall the sequence. Google anyone?

• Like 1

The welding on that thing makes me a bit uneasy. I hope they don't start cracking apart that's a huge lawsuit if one comes apart. The 510 crossmember has to take a lot of abuse being its the only one.

Im not even that good of a welder, and i even saw those welds!

I dont like to bash people but why do people continue to makes datsuns worth less! with shitty products that either dont fit or dont work. Damn it looks like alot of time went into the product why finish it off with nasty bird shit welds? will anyone even buy a fabricated crossmember made the proper way for the same price??

the welds are scary looks like they didnt clean the parts first there is a lot of contamination in them

the only way it helps handling is if he moved the control arm pivots up

a few people have jigs for s13 mounts in a 510 me being one tsr and dgr umm i am sure there are more i have seen a few

i always wanted to do an aluminum one but having all the plates machined would cost more then its worth IMHO

Ground the mounting bolts and youll be fine, aluminum would be cooler than a steel one, uve worked on r.v.s alot and found that alum and steel will coexist if all the steel that touches alum is grounded well. Every sbc has alum intakes all rotarys have alternating housings steel/alum/steel/alum/steel, and the spark plugs are into alum, I just groumd close to the plugs and all steel housings and never had a water jacket dissolve.

Better yet, ask the owner of a real, not fiberglas rip off, Shelby Cobra why he has to drill out and replace the pop rivets that hold his aluminum body to the steel chassis every 2 years.

Because the original ones are rattle traps and they(the rivets)wear.BTW-the 'glass ones are not rip-offs.