710 project thread

Will

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped by Harry's U-Pull-it in PA on my way up to Syracuse for Christmas, and they actually had a Datsun!!

Harrys07.jpg

I snagged the struts and front brakes for my 710. The Z's body was rusted out pretty bad, but the struts and brakes were in surprisingly good shape.

Damn will, good score! Did you get the 15/16" master too? Maybe on the way home. I found my stock 3/4" master slightly mushy or to put it another way the peddle traveled further towards the floor than before. I got and rebuilt a zx 15/16" and that really firmed it up. I think a 7/8" might be a happy medium.

I didn't get the master cylinder... but it's nice to have another excuse to visit the junkyard!!

Did you need to modify anything to install the larger cylinder?

Damn will, good score! Did you get the 15/16" master too? Maybe on the way home. I found my stock 3/4" master slightly mushy or to put it another way the peddle traveled further towards the floor than before. I got and rebuilt a zx 15/16" and that really firmed it up. I think a 7/8" might be a happy medium.

No, fits right on. The extra output may over power the tiny rear drum brakes and cause them to lock a little too easy. I find if I stab them suddenly they chirp but on long hard slow downs it's manageable. For now I turn the adjusters back so the shoes have to travel further. I'll spend more time on them in the spring and try some panic stops and see just how bad it is, or maybe not. One thing is for sure the Maxima front calipers and vented rotors really slow the car down.

I'm going to try and get rear disc on the goon next year.

Thanks - is that the setup you use in your 710?

Do you know which cars use a 7/8" master that will fit? Datsuns are pretty sparse in the yards here in the northeast (not much earlier than the late 1980's,) so it might have to be something I get from ebay.

Will,

A 7/8 master is perfect for a 280zx front set up with rear drums, and since your car already has a booster you will be amazed at how good it will stop with this combination.

Thanks - is that the setup you use in your 710?

Do you know which cars use a 7/8" master that will fit? Datsuns are pretty sparse in the yards here in the northeast (not much earlier than the late 1980's,) so it might have to be something I get from ebay.

The 7/8" master that is found in the 280Z from 1977 WILL NOT fit the 710 booster. I was going to use the same one in my 610, and it was a NO GO on fitment...There is a flange problem with how it fits the stock booster. Maybe a swap of the entire booster and master cylinder is the fix?

Looks like I'll be riding with mushy pedal-feel for a little while as I track down a master cylinder that will fit. Thanks for all of the info guys!

The 7/8" master that is found in the 280Z from 1977 WILL NOT fit the 710 booster. I was going to use the same one in my 610, and it was a NO GO on fitment...There is a flange problem with how it fits the stock booster. Maybe a swap of the entire booster and master cylinder is the fix?

I found some Momo Vega wheels for the 710 a while back - they're usually found on Alfas, so the Datsun bolt pattern was kinda odd. Finally got a chance to sandblast and repaint them, so now I just need to polish the exposed metal surfaces and they'll be ready to roll.

momo01.jpg

MomoVega.jpg

I checked the clearance on the ZX struts and it looks like they'll be okay, though they do sit pretty close to the strut.

momo02.jpg

(...and the car in the background is the Golf that I was driving between Datsuns. I passed it along to my Dad a while back, and he's been driving it happily for about 2 years.)

I found some Momo Vega wheels for the 710 a while back - they're usually found on Alfas, so the Datsun bolt pattern was kinda odd. Finally got a chance to sandblast and repaint them, so now I just need to polish the exposed metal surfaces and they'll be ready to roll.

momo01.jpg

MomoVega.jpg

LOVE those wheels Will. Are they 14X7? I don't think I have ever seen them on a Datsun. A bold, unusual and groovy choice. Can't wait to see them on.

14x6 - same as the ZX rims that are on the car now, I think. I was looking for a wheel that had a really 1970's look - something that looked like a weird casting with raised machined surfaces - and then I found these. They're just about the closest thing I've seen to life-size toy car wheels.

YatMingFordStationWagon-8353df.jpg

LOVE those wheels Will. Are they 14X7? I don't think I have ever seen them on a Datsun. A bold, unusual and groovy choice. Can't wait to see them on.

A quick question from someone who has never rebuilt an L-series motor before...

How do I decide which hole to use in the cam sprocket? (1, 2, or 3) The head needed to be cleaned up because the engine was overheated in the past, but I don't think it is missing too much material.

I forgot my big stack of Datsun manuals back in Brooklyn!

Oh! and it looks like the previous owner used a intake manifold gasket sized for regular L16-sized ports. I wonder what that did to the performance.

Looks like I'll be using a dremel to re-size a regular gasket's ports since I don't have a SSS gasket laying around.

Waiting on picking up a little engine crane to swap engines, so I did a little work under the car today.

The parking brake hasn't been working for a while, so I adjusted the cable

IMG_8087.jpg

The two bushings holding the rectangular piece near the center of this photo were worn out, but at least the brake works now!

IMG_8084.jpg

The previous owner cut away part of the floor since the back was lowered too much and the driveshaft was hitting. I'll weld in a new patch since I raised the rear suspension a few inches. The streets are bumpy in New York!!

IMG_8086.jpg

Canadian Competition shocks?

IMG_8085.jpg

Nah, I don't think it is okay if the crossmember is held up by only two bolts. Even if those bolts are placed on opposite corners of the crossmember.

IMG_8088.jpg

Oh, and are these the parts to keep/toss when I swap over the 280ZX struts? The top seal on one of the struts was so loose that it started spilling oil as I was removing the spring!

IMG_8092.jpg

Not much you can use the zx springs for on a 710. Probably chuck em. If the dust boots are good keep em. The 280 top hats are also too big for any use, keep the bearing and the rubber rebound bumper (if it will fit the smaller 710 spring) and nuts washers.

Some struts take a replaceable shock absorber, others, like the 710 seal in hydraulic fluid and have valves and seals inside. These you can replace the fluid on. Not sure about the zx struts or what they have.

On the 710 the top is threaded and the gland nut is removable.

strutmods007Large2.jpg

Inside is a seal that is very hard to lift out, a dental pick is good...

strutmods012Large.jpg

Only then can the insides be drained and lifted out..

Taking a second look at these in the picture I can see a gland nut. Use a pipe wrench to loosen.

IMG_8092.jpg

GLAND NUT! I remembered that the part had a funny name, but I couldn't remember what it was.

Anyway, The engine and transmission are out, now I need to get everything cleaned up and ready to install. Lots of gasket-scraping and oil/sludge-cleaning.

The old L18 block seemed not too bad, but the valves in the head were so worn that their edges were sharp as knives.

Datsun_no_engine.jpg

When I'm done I'll have an L18 and a dogleg 5-speed to get rid of... so if anyone wants some free stuff in the Syracuse, NY area my folks would be happy if they were taken out of the garage! (I'll post this in the for sale/wanted section too after I get a picture of the stuff.)