710 project thread

Will

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Datsun made it to Syracuse and back over the weekend - the only hitch was when the alternator bracket lost a bolt. Luckily a bolt from the radiator fit, so I made it home to Brooklyn.

Here's the sturdiest package I've ever received in the mail:

IMG_7667.jpg

Ka-bam:

IMG_7668.jpg

Before:

IMG_7669.jpg

After

IMG_7672.jpg

I've been trying to track down a 160JSSS grille for my 710 for a while... maybe even before I found my 710! I spotted an expired auction for one on www.trademe.co.nz, so I posted to a New Zealand Datsun message board asking for help - a fellow named Murray came forward and offered his assistance, since he travels to the USA pretty frequently.

Sooooo, the grille was sent to Murray, he took it on the plane with him from New Zealand to Las Vegas and then dropped it off with FedEx for the trip to Brooklyn, and now my car has a new face.

Next up, I'll be modifying my bumper mounts so that the bumper is about 2 inches higher, and I need to make some brackets to mount the turn signals below the bumper.

The stainless strip is missing on the SSS grille, but one of the pieces from the stock US grille looks like a good match. I just need to bend it a little to match the curve.

IMG_7682.jpg

One of my friends from the festival is making a trip down to New York next month. ...so as long as he can smuggle a bazooka-shaped parcel across the border, everything will be okay.

Did you hook up the tach?

No worries - I'm super busy with school, and I still need to make the circuit board for the gauge cluster before I'm ready to put the new pad on the dash. (it took a while to draw this up!):

SSSClusterPCB.jpg

Not yet. I'm still bummed that this didn't go as smoothly as I would liked it to have gone. Right now that dash should be in your car along with the grill.

• 4 weeks later...

Our Datsuns are brothers!!

It seems like I've seen the same dealer stickers and plate frames appear a bunch of times - maybe there were much fewer dealers back in the 70's?

Check this out

IMAG0167.jpg

Our Datsuns are brothers!!

It seems like I've seen the same dealer stickers and plate frames appear a bunch of times - maybe there were much fewer dealers back in the 70's?

We should start a new thread and call it Torvick Datsun's Unite!!! :lol:

• 1 month later...

I just tracked down a longer driveshaft for my 710, so it looks like the SSS engine and the dogleg will be going into the car over my winter break.

...so is there anyone in upstate New York who needs an L18 in need of some work (burns oil! hopefully it will make its last road trip from Brooklyn to Syracuse!) or the ZX 5-speed?

...or, anyone have any suggestions of stuff to watch out for with the engine swap? I think I've heard that the stock air filter housing for the dual Hitachi-SUs is going to get in the way of the brake master cylinder.

Commute01.jpg

The one I picked up in Texas? Do you remember any problems? It seems to shift through the gears pretty well.

5781306713_10e72ccb64.jpg

Will,

Is that the Dogleg 5 speed that came with the SSS 1600 that was my former engine?

• Like 1

I just tracked down a longer driveshaft for my 710, so it looks like the SSS engine and the dogleg will be going into the car over my winter break.

Will the stock 4 speed driveshaft should work with the dogleg..... I think. The 4 and the 5 speed are basically the same length.

• Like 1

I hope so! I checked one of your old posts, and got the folks at the junkyard to measure and make sure that the driveshaft that they have is 49" from one UV joint center to the next. My car went from an automatic transmission to a ZX 5-speed, so it has always had the shorter driveshaft.

Will the stock 4 speed driveshaft should work with the dogleg..... I think. The 4 and the 5 speed are basically the same length.

The one I picked up in Texas? Do you remember any problems? It seems to shift through the gears pretty well.

5781306713_10e72ccb64.jpg

That was the 1600 SSS and 5 speed out of my car, the trans was ( how do I say this nicely ) not that nice. If your car has a Z 5 speed in it I would leave it. I can tell you more about the Dogleg if you are interested but I would not use it.

The motor on the other hand was a low mileage sweet running engine that ran like a sewing machine, before it was mis treated and overheated. I am not sure what is up with the 1600 but I would make one motor out of the 2, I would never take a 1800 out to put a 1600 in.

Just my 2 cents,

Will, don't know how I missed this thread before now. Nice to see a 710 on the East Coast! Wish I needed an L18 but I have one sitting on an engine stand waiting to go in my 521.

So is the SSS engine not an L18? L16 w/ SUs? Course I'd suggest you keep the Engine as a spare (hard to find L18's out here), but not so easy to keep with a walk-up in Brooklyn!

Well, it wasn't on the east coast until I drove it here at the beginning of the summer!

The SSS engine is a 1.6 - two SUs and the 219 head. The engine had been overheated in the past, but I had the head surfaced and had some new steel valve seats put in since the bronze seats were wearing out..

I'll probably keep the L18 around long enough to at least take the head off and see if there are any terrible disasters inside. I know one of the valves wouldn't adjust enough when I set my clearances right after I bought the car, so I'm pretty curious to see how bad it is inside. If it isn't too bad I can always fix it up next time I'm home in Syracuse for a holiday (I'm on the 4th floor in Brooklyn, so it would take a LOT of beer bribery to get it carried up to my apartment.

I'm driving to Syracuse Tuesday morning and stopping by some yards along the way. I'll snap some pictures if I see any Datsuns!!

Nice to know that there are some Datsuns even farther east than me! The thread on your '59 was a lot of fun to look through (I had the same trouble trying to figure out how to remove the brake drums on my DeSoto back in High School.) And hey - I work making artsy stuff too: www.willkrause.com

Will, don't know how I missed this thread before now. Nice to see a 710 on the East Coast! Wish I needed an L18 but I have one sitting on an engine stand waiting to go in my 521.

So is the SSS engine not an L18? L16 w/ SUs? Course I'd suggest you keep the Engine as a spare (hard to find L18's out here), but not so easy to keep with a walk-up in Brooklyn!

Awesomesauce Will. Loved seeing your stuff! What a blast and variety! I love spinning many plates too. From From grown up fantasy art, to books for the littlest kids.

Any chance you know Laurent Linn? He was on Sesame Street for a while along with Mo Willems. Laurent is my art director at Simon and Schuster, and Mo is one of the children's book artists I hang with in the Northamton area. You can't walk around this area without tripping on a kids book illustrator.

But none of my art friends are into cars!

Mo helped out with a pilot we were trying to make for Cartoon Network back when he was living in Brooklyn, and my roommate animated one of his childrens books. Say that Will Krause says hello the next time you cross paths!

I don't know Laurent, but maybe I'd recognize her if she stops by the set. I work in Astoria where the Sesame Street set is set up, so I don't cross paths with the folks that work in Manhattan too often. Plus we're on a hiatus that is so long that I can go to grad school!! A year and a half!!

Awesomesauce Will. Loved seeing your stuff! What a blast and variety! I love spinning many plates too. From From grown up fantasy art, to books for the littlest kids.

Any chance you know Laurent Linn? He was on Sesame Street for a while along with Mo Willems. Laurent is my art director at Simon and Schuster, and Mo is one of the children's book artists I hang with in the Northamton area. You can't walk around this area without tripping on a kids book illustrator.

But none of my art friends are into cars!

Mo helped out with a pilot we were trying to make for Cartoon Network back when he was living in Brooklyn, and my roommate animated one of his childrens books. Say that Will Krause says hello the next time you cross paths!

I don't know Laurent, but maybe I'd recognize her if she stops by the set. I work in Astoria where the Sesame Street set is set up, so I don't cross paths with the folks that work in Manhattan too often. Plus we're on a hiatus that is so long that I can go to grad school!! A year and a half!!

Heh, gotta say, pretty cool to meet someone on Ratsun who swims in similar circles. Mo teases me about my Datsuns a bit because though I talk about them, he has never seen one cause they are never road worthy. (I am way more visual than mechanical!)

Here and there I am working on a book project with Mo's buddy and 'Codename Kids Next Door' creator Tom Warburton. He is in LA now, but you might have run into him too.

Small world!