Manure

KELMO

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks guys. If I were to put any of the bumpers I have on this car, it would detract from it's looks.  Maybe someday when I have money again...….Maybe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 6 months later...

Soon to be now with 5 speed.....wait, didn't I say that about a year ago?

e44DHZg.jpg

Well. yes I did. And I did. After about 100 miles it started to make noise. What to do? Put it in the Grey Coupe, drive the shit out of it. Took it to Williams with no issues. I put about 1000 miles (+/-) on the trans so now it goes back into the Green Coupe.

Back to Zero drivable Datsuns ATM. Don't nobody tell Missus Kelmo. Could be trouble.

• Like 1

Thanks, I really like that car. She is a real treat to drive. Will be even more of a treat once the 5 speed is in. This car really came out the way I envisioned it looking from the beginning. 12" slotted "D" wheels and a 2" inch drop.

SftPGHJ.jpg

• Like 1
13 hours ago, KELMO said:

Thanks, I really like that car. She is a real treat to drive. Will be even more of a treat once the 5 speed is in. This car really came out the way I envisioned it looking from the beginning. 12" slotted "D" wheels and a 2" inch drop.

SftPGHJ.jpg

I understand the old school look, but I really liked the handling with the larger wheels, and tires on mine. The dog leg 5 speed was great too! Unfortunately like Duncan I'm too old for major car projects now, so this is my toy now. ?Monarch-Pass-2018-5.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

So, after a long cold winter this is still up on stands. I am, however, close to putting her back on the ground (and street). The grey coupe is up on stands and ready for a little refresh also. The 5speed I had for the grey car turned out to only really work in 1st and reverse so the 4speed will go back in it for now. Or maybe rebuild the 5 speed and add an A15...time will tell.

KrmMlZT.jpg

• Like 4
  • 1 year later...

So, this is the anniversary weekend for the Missus and I. Since I built this car for her (even though I don't let her drive it), I thought it would be cool to take a little ride in it today. Nothing big but just a ride up the Mountain a little west of us. We live at about 6500 feet above sea level and the top of the mountain is just under 11,000 feet, no big deal right? Well we stop and fill up and motor on. I notice the temp is running a bit higher than usual. Well, it's cool enough, we should be fine. We get about a third up and the gauge is at about 3/4 which shouldn't be that big of a deal but we got some climbing ahead of us. Well, I pull off and let the car cool down a bit. Decide to head back to the house instead of pushing it to the point of having to get someone to come get us, grab the truck and trailer and drag it home. Park it in the shop and figure I'll worry about it later. Late this afternoon, I am shutting the door and hear what sounds like air blowing. Well we are supposed to get some wind today so why worry. Get the door shut and still hear air. Effing right rear tire now has a leak. We should've just stayed home.

Hope that tire is repairable cuz 12" tires are a bitch to find.

Fucking Mondays.

8 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Life is an infinite number of coin tosses, go left or go right. By choosing to go up the mountain all you got was a flat tire. You're assuming that if you stayed home nothing else would have happened? Who knows.

I assumed nothing. Very well could have picked something on the road to the house.

Where else, if not in your own thread, can you rant, bitch, moan. I had a bad car day. Shit happens, you pick it up and move on.

Chances are that if the tire can be repaired I will take another shot this weekend. The grey coupe has made that run several times and I beat it like a red headed step child all the way up and all the way down with zero issues.

13 hours ago, KELMO said:

So, this is the anniversary weekend for the Missus and I. Since I built this car for her (even though I don't let her drive it), I thought it would be cool to take a little ride in it today. Nothing big but just a ride up the Mountain a little west of us. We live at about 6500 feet above sea level and the top of the mountain is just under 11,000 feet, no big deal right? Well we stop and fill up and motor on. I notice the temp is running a bit higher than usual. Well, it's cool enough, we should be fine. We get about a third up and the gauge is at about 3/4 which shouldn't be that big of a deal but we got some climbing ahead of us. Well, I pull off and let the car cool down a bit. Decide to head back to the house instead of pushing it to the point of having to get someone to come get us, grab the truck and trailer and drag it home. Park it in the shop and figure I'll worry about it later. Late this afternoon, I am shutting the door and hear what sounds like air blowing. Well we are supposed to get some wind today so why worry. Get the door shut and still hear air. Effing right rear tire now has a leak. We should've just stayed home.

Hope that tire is repairable cuz 12" tires are a bitch to find.

Fucking Mondays.

I thought you lived in Albuquerque, where is a mountain west of you? Sandia Crest is east of Albuquerque???

See my profile right under my user name, where it says location. You know, like yours says "Colorado". Mine says Edgewood NM...East of ABQ thus making Sandia Crest West of me.

Gotta keep your eye on the ball son, get it, Eye Ball.

Turns out whatever I was hearing was not an air leak on a tire. Neither the 1200 nor the 411 next to it have lost any air in the tires. Not completely sure what I was hearing but it damn sure sounded like air leaking out of a tire.

Sorry I thought when we met that you lived in Albuquerque. I must have misunderstood. Could the sound have been steam escaping from overheating?

How can you be calling a 71 year old son, are you 100? 🤣

Edited by goes2fast

When we met, I did live in ABQ. I moved due in part to the small as 3 car garage I had. Now I have a hangar in my back yard.

Not 100, quoting Foghorn Leghorn....so, close to it but not a s close as you😄

The car had been parked for several hours and had not been moved. I was standing at the right rear when I heard it. The car next to it had not been moved in at least 2 weeks. I'll dink around with it this weekend and see if it duplicates. Betting it doesn't

I wasn't aware that you had moved, I'm bummed with the COVID as we were planning on coming down to the State Fair this year now that we are both retired. I'm missing the good green chili, fry bread, and stuffed sopaipillas.

That hissing sound is a puzzler, do you have gas shocks on the car? Snake in your shop? 🤣

That hissing sound is a puzzler, do you have gas shocks on the car? Snake in your shop? 🤣

No gas shocks. Snakes are a possibility. We have bull and rattle snakes up here.

Is it possible you were massively pissed and the hissing sound was just coming straight from you? 😀

Well, maybe....

Planning to do this run again this morning. The temp outside will be quite a bit cooler than it was on Monday

Well, that worked out well. Other than I forgot to resize pics....

At the top.

ChWIMuX.jpg

A little ways down. Found an upside to wearing a mask....had to use a glorified porta potty. Looking North East.

ydFtnMY.jpg

All went well with only 2 exceptions. First, a Super Duty from Texas was in front of me a good ways going up, big truck, flat lander, and curvy mountain roads. Second, that damn deer in the middle of the road coming out of a corner. Very glad it stayed still. Even at 30 to 35 MPH it would have been a total.

Car performed as advertised, temp never went much past halfway point. I think it may have been just a wee bit hot outside last weekend. Today's temp were 55-65 F.

• Like 2
On 9/9/2020 at 5:33 AM, KELMO said:

See my profile right under my user name, where it says location. You know, like yours says "Colorado". Mine says Edgewood NM...East of ABQ thus making Sandia Crest West of me.

That road up to the peak is very nice...  😁

Turns out whatever I was hearing was not an air leak on a tire. Neither the 1200 nor the 411 next to it have lost any air in the tires. Not completely sure what I was hearing but it damn sure sounded like air leaking out of a tire.

Well, if the car ran warm, wouldn't it make sense the hissing was the cooling system?

That would make sense if I was standing toward the front of the car (the hood was up at the time) but it was loudest at the rear and I couldn't really hear it when standing at the front of the car. I am thinking gas cap vent....maybe. The sound did not replicate itself after today's outing.

No harm, no foul. Maybe there was an air pocket in the cooling. Doubtful but possible I suppose.

• Like 1