how to free up hp on stock a14

josh_t

i have a 76 b210 with an a14. it is an automatic as well. i was wondering what i can do to free up some horsepower for free or cheap. i already put a free flowing exhaust on it, advanced the timing 5 degrees, and all the emissions systems are off of it. i wasnt the one who removed the emissions parts though. is there anything i can do to get a few more horses with the dch 306 carb?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yea. i have looked into the ratios on this tranny and its geared so high, it's not even funny, An in depth top speed calculator told me it would do 53 in first, 89 in second, and 130 in third at 7500 rpm. my guess is at 80hp thats not gonna be havin much acceleration. i really want a 63 series but i dont have the money or a source for parts. is there a thread on a tranny swap? i need some kind of parts list as well as any fab work that would need to be done to fit it.

yea i know about those ads. but i have seen a few a series motors making low 300. i'm not really looking for much power i just want it to have approximately 100-110 at the flywheel. i'm more concerned with throttle response. i dont care so much about it being fast i just dont want it to be sluggish.

i have seen a few a series motors making low 300

you know the rules. pics or it didnt happen.

i just want it to have approximately 100-110 at the flywheel.

L series swap.

i just dont want it to be sluggish.

5 speed swap.

is a video good enough? i know its a turbo setup but its still low 300's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXTn_rdtbhQ like i already said i need something to start with if i need to do a 5 speed swap. i know i need the 63 that is for the a series motor, the clutch, flywheel, master and slave cylinder, and pedal for the clutch. i dont know if i need a different driveshaft, or if the tunnel will need to be modified, etc.

ok. do you have any comments on the work that has been done already? possibly anything to add? i wasnt sure about the 5 degrees past stock advance (15 deg.) i didnt know if it could use more or if it was too much and possbily degrading performance. but the carb has been giving me fits so i can't really compare anything at the moment.

A motors are not as cheap to soup up as youd think. the easiest fastest and cheapest would be to have your head worked on, you probably have an h72 which is open combustion. shave the head, port the intakes and stick a bigger carb on it. alot of people go with the weber 32/36, but that said youll still want a 5 speed.

300hp isn't realistic, in fact it's not believable. Getting over 4 times the stock hp from any engine is insane. Hell getting 50% more is expensive than worth it.

Based on the 4 speed gears for your year and the stock 155 75R 13 tires and the 3.70 rear end the top speed in the gears at say 6,500rpms is:

1st........ 33.48

2nd....... 54.21

3rd........ 85.37

4th......117.63

Switching to a 5 speed will not increase hp. In fact it will hurt performance slightly because the gears ratios are slightly wider apart. It will help with mileage if you swap in a 4.11 diff.

1st....... 34.78

2nd...... 58.44

3rd....... 89.66

4th..... 117.63

5th..... 137.75

6,500 rpms is a realistic number for a stock pushrod motor. Getting to that high in 4th or higher is very unlikely.

You want about 110 hp, swap in an L20B.

Find a 3.90 differential for cheap. This will increase the RPMs (and thus the hp available) at the same speed as the 3.70. A 4.11 or 4.375 would be even better but you may have to swap the entire rear axle from a 710 or something.

i know about those high prices. i think its 200 for a regrind cam, 1125 for pistons, and around a grand for rods. at least thats what i found. i kinda want a header because it looks so much better than the rusty pos manifold i have and it flows and sounds better but i know i need at least some new jets for that. carb would be nice. i can get one for less than 200 but i dont know about the gains i will get from it. i do have an h72 head. i have looked into all this stuff already on datsun1200's tech wiki. i'm also interested in getting a pertronix ignitior. i know it will be negligible horsepower wise but what are some things i will notice right off the bat if i get one?

i never said i wanted to build it. i was agreeing with you saying it would be more money than its worth to build it. my original post was intended to find ways to hop this motor up without much money at all. more specifically if there was anything i can do to get more power with the stock carb. (jets, modifying the vacuum secondary, etc.)

i just want it to have approximately 100-110 at the flywheel

That will take around $2500 worth of performance mods to get an A14 or A15 to 100 HP. The stock heads are only good for 85 HP.

Or just stick an 110HP L20B in it, no fabrication required. Fits in the B210 tunnel. Uses the stock B210 automatic driveshaft.

Yes if you fit lower gears in the back, that will improve accleration across the board. The only problem with that is 3.9 gears are the lowest they used in USA. NISMO used to sell lower gears, you might find them on Craigslist or eBay from time to time. I have 4.11 and it makes a big difference compared to 3.9. NISMO had 4.8 and 4.6 and 4.3 gears.